Waterboarding Torture

Waterboarding Torture - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 22nd May, 2008 - 1:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (8) »
Post Date: 6th Feb, 2008 - 1:50pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Waterboarding Torture

Waterboarding Torture

CIA admits waterboarding inmates

The CIA used waterboarding to interrogate al-Qaeda suspects, director Michael Hayden admits.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/a...cas/7229169.stm

Sponsored Links:
12th Mar, 2008 - 9:46am / Post ID: #

Torture Waterboarding

President Bush vetoed Saturday legislation meant to ban the CIA from using waterboarding and other harsh interrogation tactics, saying it "would take away one of the most valuable tools on the war on terror."

"This is no time for Congress to abandon practices that have a proven track record of keeping America safe," Bush said in his weekly radio address.

Congress approved an intelligence authorization bill that contains the waterboarding provision on slim majorities, far short of the two-thirds needed to override a presidential veto.

Bush's long-expected veto reignites the Washington debate over the proper limits of U.S. interrogation policies and whether the CIA has engaged in torture by subjecting prisoners to severe tactics, including waterboarding, a type of simulated drowning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8030800304.html

Did the CIA STOP using the waterboarding technique after interrogating the al-Qaeda suspects? And if they did stop for awhile, does this veto mean they can now continue it again?

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 17 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.7%

Post Date: 12th Mar, 2008 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture
A Friend

Waterboarding Torture History & Civil Business Politics

I do not like the idea of torture to get information. All your getting is someone telling you anything to stop the torture thus it is very unreliable. The fact that the us government is turning a blind eye to this with the veto it is saying we support the use of torture. I think that is the wrong message to send. We need to be above the use of torture to get our information. That is my thought

12th Mar, 2008 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

Torture Waterboarding

If they are going to blow up big things and a terrorist knows the info to stop I say use whatever is necessary!

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 87 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 8.7%

13th Mar, 2008 - 3:37am / Post ID: #

Torture Waterboarding

Interrogation is basically torture. Unless the interrogation is simply asking the person do you know anything about this and accepting whatever answer they give, you will likely be torturing the person. Simply working to convert them over to your side takes a long time if there is no force to do it....do you have the time to spare? Now I am not for torturing the person to death or in such a way that causes permanent physical damage, but I do understand that to get the information, the person being interrogated has to be broken and that is not likely to happen to a terrorist that is pretty well set in certain beliefs without some force (mentally and physically).

I would like to say that I am against all of it, but I can see the need for it. I would like to hear more about what good information and preventative information we gathered from using this technique, but if it stopped just one more WTC and isnt just being used widespread all people they pickup (basically, I would also like to know who could get this treatment), I am ok with it.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

14th Mar, 2008 - 5:16am / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture

Many would say that Waterboarding is not Torture(myself being one). Our Servicemen have had to go through waterboarding training on themselves.

From SERE (an acronym for Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) in Wikopedia

All special operations units in all branches of the U.S. military employ the use of waterboarding as part of survival school (SERE) training, to psychologically prepare soldiers for the eventuality of being captured by the enemy forces.

We are using it on our own soldiers, Why would we not use it on a terrorist suspect?

I would think that there has to be a distinction between legitimate intense interrogation techniques (Waterboarding, Sleep depravation, sense depravation, unpleasant noises) which the U.S. and many countries in the west use to save the live of others, and real torture (limbs being removed, decapitation, burning of the skin and removing of the eyes with a hot poker, a drill to the scull,suicide bombings, putting hot coals down a person's mouth, shooting kids in a school, throwing people off buildings, stonings) all being done by those in radical islam because of a sick fascination with death and pain.

We are at war with a ruthless enemy. Shouldn't we at least push back a little against the real torturers that are currently found in the Middle East?

Waterboarding is not Torture, taking a persons eyes out with a hot poker,or cutting their head off while yelling Allahu Akbar is.

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Mar, 2008 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture

dbackers said it way better than I could. If you are interested in hurting innocent civilians then you better be ready to be hurt cause Americans arent going to sit around and let terrorists kill us.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 87 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 8.7%

22nd May, 2008 - 1:35pm / Post ID: #

Waterboarding Torture Politics Business Civil & History

I can understand waterboarding being used to teach soldiers not to panic in strange conditions.

Here is what it is for any who might not know.

From wikipedia

Waterboarding is a form of torture that consists of immobilizing a person on their back with the head inclined downward-known as the Trendelenburg position-and pouring water over the face and into the breathing passages.[1][2] Through forced suffocation and inhalation of water, the subject experiences the process of drowning and is made to believe that death is imminent.[3] In contrast to merely submerging the head face-forward, waterboarding almost immediately elicits the gag reflex.[4] Although waterboarding does not always cause lasting physical damage, it carries the risks of extreme pain, damage to the lungs, brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation, injuries (including broken bones) due to struggling against restraints, and even death.[5] The psychological effects on victims of waterboarding can last for years after the procedure.[6]

Waterboarding was used for interrogation at least as early as the Spanish Inquisition to obtain information,[7] coerce confessions, punish, and intimidate. It is considered to be torture by a wide range of authorities, including legal experts,[5][8] politicians, war veterans,[9][10] intelligence officials,[11] military judges,[12] and human rights organizations.[13][14] Despite its long use as a technique, the first use of the actual term "waterboarding" occurred in the May 13, 2004, New York Times. In 2007 waterboarding led to a political scandal in the United States when the press reported that the CIA had waterboarded extrajudicial prisoners and that the Justice Department had authorized this procedure.[15][16] The CIA has used waterboarding on three Al-Qaida suspects: Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Abu Zubaydah and Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri.[17][18]

I think duration and intensity of this activity would be a factor one must keep in mind. I do not think I would rate this with sleep deprivation personally. I do think if one is train in self discipline the power of this over your would be greatly diminished. The reality of brain and tissue damage after 4 minute is real and as such I do not think this is a great vice to be used in obtaining reliable information.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: Waterboarding Torture

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,