Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games - Page 3 of 3

I try to play intelligent monsters like I - Page 3 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 1 Week Ago

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 3 54 118 Why Join Help Register/Login via:Register/Login via:
Welcome Guest

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 12th Jul, 2016 - 10:10pm / Post ID: #

Malcolmshaw
Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games
A Friend

Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games - Page 3

Intelligence would also state that Monsters would not be habitual campers or those that only stay in their lair.

Make "Wandering" Monsters or "Random" Encounters have a purpose. Foraging/Hunting at a common location whose route to it requires the PCs to cross it. Armed Patrols would be alerted by the sounds of fighting in the castle.
Post Date: 25th Nov, 2016 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Premium + Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 806
Avg: 12.6 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 143.65 FP
Charm: 76

Games Role-Playing Monsters Intelligent Managing

Indeed. I actually had a group argue with me over this. I had the guards they snuck past earlier join the fray when the party started a noisy combat just down the hall. Apparently they thought the sounds of swords clashing and men screaming would be assumed to be practice drills, in the dead of the night…

Post Date: 27th Nov, 2016 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

Premium Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 289
Avg: 2.6 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 68.6%
[+] Gain: 2,486.45 FP
Charm: 25

Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games Reviews RPG & Card Board

The worst is having the boss monster just siting there waiting instead of taking evasive measures. When you think about it most bosses will try to make a run for it when the odds are not in their favor.

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2017 - 8:21pm / Post ID: #

Member Junior
[?] CPosts: 22
Avg: 0.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 3.7%
[+] Gain: 67.31 FP
Charm: 4

Page 3 Games Role-Playing Monsters Intelligent Managing

A really good monster will not take on a party by itself and will escape if losing only to return with reinforcements. This is the proper way to play intelligently for me.

Post Date: 1 Week Ago / Post ID: #

Member Editor
[?] CPosts: 717
Avg: 0.6 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 14.8%
[+] Gain: 18.23 FP
Charm: 4

Games Role-Playing Monsters Intelligent Managing

One of the best ways to show a monster's intelligence is personality. If the only interaction characters have with the monster is to attack then it won't help the intelligence factor. Monsters need some charisma, catchy lines of their own and things like that.

Diamond + Diplomat
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 14,279
Avg: 7.7 Post(s) / Day
[+] Gain: 6,246.72 FP
Charm: 290

Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games

Some of the hardest role playing is intelligent monsters as they would plan and flee when it is going bad to live to fight another day. I usually do something like this. Unless they are cornered.

Diamond + Chief
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 4,106
Avg: 24.7 Post(s) / Day
[+] Gain: 64,116.83 FP
Charm: 244

Page 3 Managing Intelligent Monsters Role-Playing Games

I try to play intelligent monsters like I was them. I lay a plan and see what the characters do, and then I modify my plan depending on their actions. I will definitely retreat intelligent monsters to seek reinforcements if available. If not, I'll route them out of the area. That is, unless they are intelligent and fearless, and then I will fight them to the end, using terrain to their advantage if possible.

Attached Image Edited: Abnninja on 1 Week Ago

Guest please SHARE: "Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games" on:

+  1 2 3 
Sponsored Links:

If you have input into "Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games" do not be shy, give your input
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Enable Smilies  Enable Signature

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Managing Intelligent Monsters In Role-Playing Games

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2017
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits

RPG Info

Latest Game Topics

Highlights

RPG Marching Order: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By anronrosby 1 Week Ago
Using Alignment In Role-Playing Games: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By KNtoran 1 Week Ago
Text RPG Creator's Gems: Gems enable your Character to have special powers or enhancements. By KNtoran 9th Sep, 2017 - 11:08pm
Romance In Role-playing Games: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By KNtoran 9th Sep, 2017 - 11:02pm
Don't Break A New Player's Enthusiasm: Make sure to welcome those brand new Players wanting to get their Character created. By KNtoran 9th Sep, 2017 - 10:56pm
RPG Newsletters: This is a copy of the RPG Newsletters sent to your Email address. By JB 9th Sep, 2017 - 9:27pm
Embedded Dice Support: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By JB 8th Sep, 2017 - 4:39pm
Justice League: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By News 24th Jul, 2017 - 2:20am
Kung Fu Yoga: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Factual 28th Mar, 2017 - 10:44am
Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master: The root of the game is the Game Master. While Players contribute it is the GM that decides how it all pans out. By Txtrpg 31st Jan, 2016 - 2:34pm