Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 5 of 13

Name: Lochlan Comments: It's interesting, - Page 5 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 19th Aug, 2016 - 1:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (13) »
Best of  Autism & Role-playing Games RPGs for those on the Autism Spectrum. If you are autistic does being in a role-playing setting help with social skills? Does participating in online play by post methods allow a release?
Post Date: 12th Jul, 2016 - 10:35am / Post ID: #

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 5

Name: Michael

Title: Larping = good social practice

Comments: When possible, I encourage children with autism to participate in live action roleplaying (Abbreviated as LARPing). It's great social practice. It often has social rules describing how to behave with which groups of characters.

(I'm talking about the theatrical-style larping, not the boffer-weapon physical larping.).

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Aug, 2016 - 1:27pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Monsters and magic can help kids through tough times. Here's how.

Monster building is a great way to talk with young students and our own children about the creative process. It's also a problem-solving exercise that helps with real-world fears: If you can imagine how to make a monster, you can figure out how to disassemble one, too. Ref. Source 1p.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 11:24am / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games Health & Special Psychology

Name: Matt

Comments: I've read this article before and quite enjoyed it. I'm a middle school teacher, so I'm no stranger to young folks on the spectrum. For me, this was yet another reason to celebrate the power of Role-playing Games.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 12:45pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Page 5 Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Laurence

Comments: As an adult on the spectrum who writes fantasy and science fiction, I want to say thank you for posting this. I have been drawn into game Role-playing Games and writing Role-playing Games with people since childhood/young teen when other social interactions seemed insurmountable. I can pretty much put my own stamp on this, although I'll say they didn't cure my OCD or add to it, really. Otherwise they've been really important to my life along the way.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Kenny

Comments: I came from a broken home. Between the ages of 6 and 14 I moved every year. I didn't change houses. I changed cities, often states. I was constantly the new guy. I was constantly getting into fights with bullies. After a few moves I stopped even bothering to make friends. After a few more I really started to despise people.

Dungeons & Dragons changed all that. It helped me find like minded people. It helped me make real friends for the first time since I was a small child. It taught me how to cultivate long term relationships.

Dungeons & Dragons did more than help me become a part of the race again. It was instrumental. It was THE thing that made everything else possible. Dungeons & Dragons saved me from a life of asocial, if not outright antisocial, loneliness.

Without it I shudder to think what my life would have been like.

Traveller, on the other hand, taught me algebra.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 12:55pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games

Name: Kg

Comments: I'm surrounded by people on the Spectrum, myself included, we're practically a small herd of Asperger's, and Role Playing games are one of the things that help us get out of our caves to get together most often… And Vampire: The Masquerade is the game that tends to get us together more often than any other so… the [article] does seem quite accurate!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 1:13pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 5

Name: Chris

Comment: My eldest son (25) is on the spectrum and a few years ago I realized that Dungeons & Dragons would be helpful for him to practice social skills. Now we have three groups, 15 players with a mix of challenges as well as some "Typical" players. Thanks for your work!

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2016 - 1:24pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games Psychology Special & Health - Page 5

Name: Lochlan

Comments: It's interesting, Thanks for sharing, I have high functioning autism, and it was kinda hard for me to make friends, but with Pathfinder, well I met a group of people I'd gladly call them such, and I'm learning social cues, Plus sure I can't be an evil assassin, but at least I can make puns even if they're out of context most of the time and play something that….

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (13) »

> TOPIC: Autism & Role-Playing Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,