Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 12 of 13

Children on the spectrum can definitely benefit - Page 12 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 8th Sep, 2017 - 12:53am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 13 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 
Best of  Autism & Role-playing Games RPGs for those on the Autism Spectrum. If you are autistic does being in a role-playing setting help with social skills? Does participating in online play by post methods allow a release?
Post Date: 30th Nov, 2016 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 12

Name: David

Comments: I'm autistic and if it wasn't for Role-playing Games, I'd probably be much less capable of dealing with the world.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Dec, 2016 - 3:06am / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Adriano

Comments: Last year I Dungeon Mastered a group including a boy on the Spectrum and his family. The father hoped that gaming would help his son develop his social skills. I can't say whether that was successful or not, I haven't seen them in a few months. A few random observations about the experience:

- Dealing with the boy was not hard, dealing with the family and their conflicting priorities was. Like, his (Neurotypical) sister could get a handle on the rules better and faster than anybody else, parents included, but just wasn't that interested in the game, and at times I thought the boy resented that. The father tended to scold the boy whenever he looked absent-minded (Which could happen fairly often), but the father's scolding was actually a lot more disruptive for the game-flow than the boy's usually short and unobtrusive lapses.

- The boy seemed to like creating his own stories. A lot. He seemed to have difficulties confining himself to the actions of a single character in a shared world. Maybe a story-game that afforded him more control would have been more successful than a traditional Role-playing Game.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2017 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games Health & Special Psychology

Name: David

Comments: I'm on the spectrum, and I can't speak highly enough about how [role-playing] games have improved my life.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2017 - 9:16pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Page 12 Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Ben

Comments: Interesting smile.gif I have an Autistic son who is mostly nonverbal and blind as well. It is very hard to find things he can join in on but he from the start was very interested in our Dungeons & Dragons game. Good article, encouraged me to play a game with him tonight.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2017 - 9:58pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Mark

Comments: I have a good friend who is on the spectrum. He credits tabletop Role-playing Games for helping him learn to socialize to the point where he had several sales jobs and now works with young folks who deal with autism and other developmental challenges.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2017 - 10:12pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games

Name: Lim

Comments: I myself have Asperger and work with people on the spectrum who "Dropped out" from work/college, and the recent bunch of people have begun their own group of 5e Dungeons & Dragons. Role-playing therefor became a "Big" topic, I am gonna use this to explain the trainers a little bit more about how things work, because I've got the feeling I didn't get completely through yet, and this might help proving my point! Thanks for sharing!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Feb, 2017 - 5:46pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 12

Name: Amber

Comments: As someone who does have disabilities, role-playing has really been the only way that I've been able to meet people. Im socially awkward and its difficult for me to communicate with people face-to-face. My English writing has become very literate and I see myself as a more open minded person after realizing how different people can really be. Roleplaying is the only way I see myself making friends. It has made a HUGE emotional impact on my life.

8th Sep, 2017 - 12:53am / Post ID: #

Autism & Role-Playing Games Psychology Special & Health - Page 12

Children on the spectrum can definitely benefit from role-playing. It helps them to come out of their world and into the world of a model that they might not be familiar.

+  « First of 13 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 

> TOPIC: Autism & Role-Playing Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,