Debate: Play By Post vs Table Top Rpgs - Page 3 of 5

I just created a video that explains the whole - Page 3 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 15th Oct, 2016 - 9:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric
Ranger
Ranger

+  1 2 3 4 5 
14th Apr, 2016 - 2:48am / Post ID: #

Debate: Play By Post vs Table Top Rpgs - Page 3

Good point about the table top version being mostly about combat. I think persons who aren't accustomed to full character development get caught in that and then find in hard to be in character when doing play by post.

Sponsored Links:
17th Apr, 2016 - 8:26pm / Post ID: #

Rpgs Top Table Post Play Debate

From the way I've seen both played in my short time around this game type I've found that a big advantage play by post has is thinking time. Before making a post I check my character sheet, sometimes I look back at what the Dungeon Master said, etc. I know I couldn't do all of that in a live game. Really the only advantages I see for tabletop role playing is speed and seeing the little miniatures right in front of you.

18th Apr, 2016 - 1:44am / Post ID: #

Debate: Play By Post vs Table Top Rpgs Reviews RPG & Card Board

You folks seem to have had some terrible tabletop roleplaying experiences, judging from the comments here. It could be because of the heavy Dungeons & Dragons -esque bias this site has, but my Tabletop groups have phenomenal characters and interactions with both each other and Role-playing Games. Rich, detailed characters with solid backstories and realistic motivations. Romance, people getting married, people getting betrayed. Morals challenged, alliances formed.

Tabletop games certainly don't have to be 2 dimensional. Storytelling was an oral tradition long before it was a written one.

18th Apr, 2016 - 2:03am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Rpgs Top Table Post Play Debate

I've been here awhile and joined a few of the Role-playing Games here and none were Dungeons & Dragons. I wouldn't say that this site has a Dungeons & Dragons bias, most of the role-playing world is already Dungeons & Dragons and it just happens to roll over into here because its what most players online know.

In a live group there can be some good role-players and those that really embarrass themselves or rather I feel embarrassed for them. I once knew a guy from England that was able to do the voice overs really good. He could change his pitch and tone to give that classic medieval sound we imagine from the movies. Not all of us was so eloquent so it sounded like a time warp when each person spoke. It was brilliant to listen to him and not so much for the others. Play By Post sort of cuts that out so you don't have to worry about that aspect of the game unless you can't write to save your life but that's another subject. I guess people expect less of you in Play By Post than around a table so you can get away with a lot more in a more relaxed fashion. They each do have their pros and cons but to whet my palette when I need it Play By Post serves really well than planning a meet.

2nd Jun, 2016 - 12:18am / Post ID: #

Rpgs Top Table Post Play Debate

Here is one plus for play by post; you don't have to put up with that awful smell someone in the game room has either because of their sweat or cheap cologne. Its hard to think in an environment like that.

2nd Jun, 2016 - 3:16pm / Post ID: #

Debate: Play By Post vs Table Top Rpgs

To me there are many positives and negatives to both Play by Post and tabletop gaming. The one thing I like the most about tabletop gaming is being able to see the expressions on someone's face when they roll bad come across something unexpected. I also like being able to talk and jock with fellow gamers though it sometimes can get out of hand, it still makes the game fun. You just cannot get that on play by post.
The one thing that I have always hated about tabletop gaming is at some point it always seems to stall; either because of rule disputes, the Dungeon Master not being prepared, players being late, or too much joking around.
The best part of Play by Post, I think, is that it lends it's self to creativity. A person can be more creative writing their back story or taking actions in the game. I just don't think you can get that type of creativity around the table. I love the colorful back stories and action posts I have read. I also like the fact that I have time to think about my next post or action.
One of the things I hate the most in Play by Post is when a player doesn't post for a long time or has seemed to quit the game without letting the GM know. I not talking about the person that might not post for a day or two but the person that takes more than a week to post, it seems to slow down the game a bit.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Jun, 2016 - 6:30pm / Post ID: #

Debate Play Post Table Top Rpgs - Page 3

international QUOTE
... The person that takes more than a week to post, it seems to slow down the game a bit.

That only happens if the Dungeon Master allows it. There is another topic somewhere about this here but if that is a downside of Play By Post then its really a downside of the Dungeon Master running the game. Its probably the same as if you were around a table, you wouldn't hold up a game for someone who left it for more than 10 minutes unless the reason was really really good!

15th Oct, 2016 - 9:59pm / Post ID: #

Debate Play Post Table Top Rpgs Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 3

I just created a video that explains the whole affair between tabletop and play by post with a bit of a twist and a dose of this site's offerings. Have a look and comment there: Tabletop Role-playing Games vs Video Role-playing Games vs Play By Post Role-playing Games vs Text Role-playing Games.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Debate: Play By Post vs Table Top Rpgs

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,