Video Games And Autism

Video Games Autism - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 28th Nov, 2017 - 10:19am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Videogames for autistic children
23rd Jun, 2008 - 1:49pm / Post ID: #

Video Games And Autism

Most High Functioning Autistic children love computers, some like my son has an obsession with them. They mostly like it because of games but they can also learn different things through playing.

international QUOTE
While my autistic son was delayed in language and social skills and had few interests outside of trains or videotapes, he was inspired, or shall we say obsessed, with one particular item. My Computer.  Jackson, now 7 years old  took a very early liking to computers.  Back in infancy he'd strain from my lap to reach the computer as I typed articles, or from his infant seat he'd thrust his foot in the air and lean toward the glowing screen that captivated him. This love of computers broadened to include any highly visual, interactive games you find at the local arcade.  As we walked into the pizza place or mall he would lean and wriggle trying to get free to play the games he was so instinctively drawn to.  (Let me mention I am talking a toddler, not even 2 years old yet with this intense interest. We were puzzled by this high interest but continued to deny his chance to play the games since we were trying to raise our son in a non-violent method.  We weakened and decided to let him play pin-ball games since they are pretty violence-free and could even help with eye-hand coordination.)

Over the following years we noticed how any time Jackson was able to use a video game system, at a relative's house or at the store demo area, he excelled.  He could easily defeat your average player-as a 4 year old he could defeat an adult!  This was amazing given his delays in language and understanding and his social and emotional difficulties-He was delayed by about 2.5 years in other areas yet in this highly visual area he excelled. This was ego-boosting for him and also had a self-calming effect. Soon after realizing how beneficial video games could be for my son I softened and we got him his first system.  After observing and playing with my son and his video games for the past 3 years I now often encourage other parents of autistic children to consider this type of toy for their very visual children. Video games provides the visual patterns, speed and storyline that our kids love while helping them refine basic skills that they might not grasp in your normal everyday setting.  They also allow our unique kids an acceptable way to de-stress and mellow out while increasing their knowledge of peer-related topics.

* As with other tools, interaction is VITAL with video games. Sit with your child, play with your child and learn from your child.

Some of the therapeutic benefits my son has gotten from his use of video games:

1.  Language -
   a.  Discussing and sharing.
   b.  Following directions (understanding prepositions etc.)
   c.  Giving directions
   d.  Answering questions
   e.  Having a discussion topic with visual aides to share with me

2.  Basic Math and Reading Skills-
   a.  One day Jackson surprised me by answering my question of how many red coins he had by saying, "I have 5, I need 3 more!"  WHAT?  Yes, somehow, during playing and fun the basic math skills of addition had sunk in!  No ABA
needed, no flashcards - just the fun and excitement of Mario collecting red
coins!  (and this same week during speech therapy the SLP was trying to get
Jackson to count to 5 with him-she was stunned to here me say he could count to 100 if needed and he already knows addition.  The key is finding what is
important to the individual and learning will click.)
   b.  When the games are being played the instructions and any character
dialogue are printed on the screen, this works great as sight-reading fuel.
The first words Jackson could read were PLAY, QUIT, GO, STOP, JACKSON,
INSTALL, LOAD, MARIO  and  HI-- all words from the computer or video games. ..

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2008 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

Video Games And Autism
A Friend

Autism Games Video

I think video games and computers are good for a child. A child with autism or even one with ADHD can find the freedom in a video game or computer game that they did not have before. It know it might sound follish but I think they do not have the world looking at them and judging them as they play. They are more relaxed and more acceptible for learning this way. I have learned this watching my middle son who has ADHD.

Post Date: 24th Jun, 2008 - 12:05pm / Post ID: #

Video Games And Autism
A Friend

Video Games And Autism Health & Special Psychology

When I was young, I was diagnosed with Aspergers, which is on the autistic spectrum. It's not uncommon for someone with Aspergers to become very focused in one subject. That subject for me was computers. I did everything I could think of with computers. I've played the tetris game that came with my Uncle's 386. I played around with some 3D design demo software, played solitaire, used MSPaint, taught myself to type. I continued taking any computer-related course I could find in primary, middle, and highschool. Then I went to college in Computer Programming and now I have a career that I love.

So, in my opinion, if a kid is obsessed with a computer, it's probably a good thing.

I also have a 6 year old brother who has Autism, ADDHD, and some anxiety problems. He loves one game on the computer. It's the Alphabet Soup game from TVOKids.com. That's the ONLY game he plays. If we try to make him play something else, he gets mad, so when I babysit, I let him play the Alphabet Soup. It's a good learning tool I think. It teaches him words, shapes, colours, and a little bit of spelling.

The interesting thing about my brother though, unlike myself, is that he is not obsessed with the computer like I was. He will be obsessive about the game, but he will not play for long. Maybe that's the ADDHD? I don't know. He will then break off and play some music on his CD-player and dance around. He likes to read womens' magazines too to read the ads and look at the "pretty ladies" rolleyes.gif

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2008 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

Video Games And Autism
A Friend

Autism Games Video

My personal opinion on this subject is that, I have developed a taste for Politics through video games. Whenever Debates come on It is like I am watching a reality TV show like Big Brother or something. I'm excited. But I must admit, some games I find distasteful, Such as Halo, America's Army, and other pointless shooting games. Now I must admit Some of them like Mercenaries, Grand Theft Auto, and those of the like have some sort of value. Halo is just a reckless shooter, It may have a world in which the gamer can indulge themselves in to get away from reality. That is good for stress relief in small doses, but in large ones. Well it isn't a good trade off, Ill constructive logic for letting your body and attention span rot away. Albeit it that Mercenaries and Grand Theft auto may teach bad things, most older children don't have a pre-conventional moral. That is, they have evolved from doing behavior they have been rewarded from. Rather they go with a conventional morality, which is realizing what society values in a person, and judges as good moral. But what is a good game? Personally I like the Europa Universalis games, but those don't really have an entertainment value unless you enjoy politics. I would say games such as The Elder Scrolls which shows positive boosts on all levels of Morality. Or the Total War series, which can maybe improve logical thinking strategies when you take in effect the teachings of Sun Tzu, which is just Common sense on medieval battlefields. And I mean that as in, your men have an advantage on the high ground sort of things. Also, Espionage Action games like Metal Gear Solid, where you have to think of as many options as possible in the shortest amount of time. Now I probably went overboard with this but I over think things.

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2012 - 12:19pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Autism Games Video

Video games may be good for your brain after all
New findings brazenly defy decades of research

Jackson is the lead researcher on a study published last year in the academic journal "Computers in Human Behavior" that shows 12-year-olds who play video games are more creative than those who don't. The research also demonstrates that a child's usage of cellphones, computers or the Internet has no statistical correlation to creativity. Ref. Source 1

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2012 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Video Games And Autism

Name: DT

Comments: that's good to know. My son is autistic and I always have two minds about the amount of games he plays but its the only thing that keeps him focused and quiet for a bit.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Jul, 2012 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Video Games Autism

Our two oldest sons are computer gurus. They largely got their interest by watching us work at the computer. Video games do give them some focus because without it they would be otherwise nagging us to entertain them. My 6 year old, Jonah, loves first person games where he is moving a character or driving a car as the person. Examples of this is Spider-man, Matrix, Hulk, Mr. Bean and any racing / driving game.

Post Date: 28th Nov, 2017 - 10:19am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Video Games Autism Psychology Special & Health

Video game improves balance in youth with autism. Playing a video game that rewards participants for holding various "Ninja" poses could help children and youth with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) improve their balance, according to a recent study. Source 5m.

> TOPIC: Video Games And Autism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,