Dealing With Asperger Syndrome

Dealing Asperger Syndrome - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 16th Jul, 2008 - 12:25pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Post Date: 5th Apr, 2007 - 12:11am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Asperger's Syndrome

Tonight on 'Nightline' - Wednesday, April 5, 2007

My colleague John Donvan has been reporting for years on people living with the conditions on the spectrum of autism. Tonight we'll have portraits of two young men suffering from Asperger's syndrome.

Since the symptoms of Asperger's are not as severe as those of other types of autism, children with the syndrome often do not get sent to special schools. Instead, they end up in regular schools where they often become the math nerd or science geek, and they are often the targets of bullies.

Middle school can be a minefield for just about anyone, but it's particularly hazardous for young people with these conditions. Tonight John offers an intimate look at the life of a young man with Asperger's trying to navigate the hazards of adolescence -- and of another young man who survived them.
See it: ABC News Nightline

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Jul, 2008 - 2:31am / Post ID: #

Syndrome Asperger Dealing

Dealing with Asperger Syndrome

Asperger Syndrome is a relatively mild form of autism that effects people in different ways than regular autism. Because it usually does not affect language, many people with Asperger Syndrome go undiagnosed. This is the one form of autism that is usually not caught at an early age and is instead a disorder that develops later in life. Asperger Syndrome, however, can be a very difficult condition to have, so as soon as you suspect yourself or your child of having communication and social behavior problems, see your family doctor.

Many famous and successful people were diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. Historians even suggest that Einstein and Mozart each suffered from this disorder. It is important to note that no form of autism is a form of mental retardation. In fact, most people with Asperger Syndrome are very intelligent. Asperger Syndrome does not dictate mental ability, but rather makes it difficult for people to communicate in social settings, much in the same way a typical autistic child has trouble with behavior in groups. When this disorder goes undiagnosed, children do not get the help they need, leading to problems in school such as bullying. Most children are relieved to find out they have Asperger Syndrome instead of just thinking they are less of a person. By getting diagnosed, not only can you or your child put a name to the problems, but it is then also possible to get treated to improve your overall situation.

Some symptoms to watch out for if you suspect Asperger Syndrome are some of the same symptoms that people with full-blown autism experience. This includes social confusion, first and foremost. Many people with Asperger Syndrome find it very difficult to deal with transition or change, wanting everything to stay the same. A quickly changing environment is especially confusing. People with Asperger Syndrome also may say rude or inappropriate things when they don't mean to do so, and may not be able to understand others' thought processes. Another common trait they share with autistic individuals is fixation, although people with Asperger Syndrome usually have more control over their fixations, which take the form of highly focused interests. If you suspect yourself or a loved one of this disorder, these are just a few of the signs for which you should be watching. You doctor should be able to answer further questions and provide both reading material and treatment for this disorder.

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2008 - 12:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome Health & Special Psychology

I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 3, but I didn't remember, and my mom only told me recently, for some reason. I was never treated for it, and when my mom finally told me, it was like a HUGE wave of relief to know that there was something wrong that was identifiable and medically recognized.

For me, it's never caused any serious problems in my life, but to finally be able to understand why I always say things that are rude when I totally don't mean to, is a huge relief. I no longer feel like I'm just a total b*tch, it's just something I have to work on. Jokes are a huge problem for me still, and I don't know if I'll ever get over it. I always take people seriously and keep talking to them like we're having a conversation, but what I totally missed is what they said is a joke...extremely frustrating.

Another frustrating thing is switching from one subject to the other. I always noticed that when I switched from math homework, to science homework (for example), it was such a huge, stressful transition to move from one subject to another. If I knew then that it was actually a real problem and I wasn't just stupid or something, I probably could have dealt with it better.

I strongly recommend that parents and adults get assessed if they think they or their child have similar symptoms described in the thread starters post. Things would have probably gone quite a bit smoother growing up if I'd have had more knowledge of Aspergers.

Post Date: 15th Jul, 2008 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

My eldest son has Aspergers. We have not treated him for it and he knows he has it. He is a great kid and learning what it is like in the working world this summer. He is getting along well. He has his own car now and he is building up his checking and savings account. HE has one more year in school. HE is glad he has his own money to buy some of the things he wants. I am happy that he is doing so well.

Post Date: 15th Jul, 2008 - 2:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

KNToran, I have read that most children with Aspergers grow up to lead normal lives, and most also lose symptoms as they get older and learn to deal with the issues they have.
I am glad to hear that your son is doing well. I too seem to be leading a normal life. I have a house, a partner, and very good job that I enjoy. However, I think I'm one of the ones that doesn't grow out of most of the symptoms biggrin.gif I still have a lot of troubles in crowds of people (ex. parties) and I can almost never tell when someone is joking or being serious.

Post Date: 15th Jul, 2008 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yes my son is the same way. We will joke with him a lot and he gets mad at us because he thinks we are being serious. We are trying to teach him not to look at life so serious all the time. His biggest downfall is he does not have the ability to joke around too much. He takes everything so seriously.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Jul, 2008 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Dealing Asperger Syndrome

I am hoping my son has Asperger. He was diagnosed with PDD-NOS but we are not happy with that diagnoses because it is way to broad and the doctors said he is a unique case. He is fully conversational, he is well advanced in computers compared to kids of his age but struggles terribly with socialization and social cues in general. He is a very social kid, but socially awkward. The reason I said I hope it is Asperger is because I know most kids with it grow up to live normal lives like Daria mentioned so Asperger is the best outcome I could think of based on this particular case.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2008 - 12:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dealing Asperger Syndrome Psychology Special & Health

KNtoran, I am the same way. Everyone keeps telling me to stop taking things seriously and relax, but you know telling me that doesn't help! I can't help myself by just relaxing or by just "not doing it". It takes time and practice to slowly learn a person's tone of voice, or find ways of asking the person if they're serious or not. It's easier to do such things with people you know. For example, my mom would know why I have to ask if she's serious or not, but a person who does not know me would be confused. It works out, because the people closest to you are usually the most important, so if someone you rarely see doesn't understand some things you do, it's not a big deal. Awkward, but not a big deal.

Also through reading, I have learned that part of Asperger's syndrome is that the areas of the brain that woud normally pick up social cues are just underdeveloped, so it actually does need time and practice to train the brain to work the way you need it to.

LDS_forever, you need to get a second opinion and when you see another doctor, try to ask about Aspergers. I'm not sure how my diagnosis was completed, because I was 3 years old and I don't remember, so I can't give much more help that to suggest a second opinion of another doctor.
What helps to, is doing some research and reading up on Aspergers. If your some does actually have the syndrome, having more knowledge of what it is and how to handle it will help both you and him immensely.

Wikipedia actually has some really good information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Dealing With Asperger Syndrome

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,