3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions - Page 3 of 129

I think Den is ready to romp through some - Page 3 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 17th Apr, 2017 - 9:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (129) »
Closed
Discuss  3 5 D&D As Character Role-Playing Game Only Approved Players should participate here. Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 1:33pm / Post ID: #

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions
A Friend

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions - Page 3

Actually, the rules that introduce flaws do specifically state it. From Page 91 of Unearthed Arcana:

"Flaws are like the flip side of feats. Whereas a feat enables a character to be better than normal at performing a task (Or even to do something that normal characters can't), a flaw restricts a character's capabilities or imposes a penalty of some sort."

"A player may select up to two flaws when creating a character. After 1st level, a character cannot take on additional flaws unless the game master specifically allows it (For examples of times when doing this might be appropriate, see Character Traits, above). Each flaw a player selects entitles his character to a bonus feat. In other words, when you create a character, if you select two flaws, you can also take two bonus feats beyond those your character would be normally entitled to."

The balance justification for this is that a flaw is not simply the inverse of a feat, but rather worse. Taking a flaw and a feat that affect the same thing results in a net loss. For instance, the Shaky flaw mentioned before hits the character with a -2 penalty to all ranged attacks. The Weapon focus feat on the other hand grants a bonus of +1 to the attacks of a single weapon.

This means the only good reason to select flaws is if the feat obtained is more valuable to the character than whatever is penalized, though Dungeon Masters are encouraged to ensure that any flaws taken are not simply bypassed.

By all means, it is your decision, but if the only reason for denying it is its not written in the rules, well, that is not quite accurate.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 17th Apr, 2017 - 1:43pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Discussions and Questions RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

Daishain,

Wow, I didn't remember that. Thanks for the reminder for me personally. I've been in games where Dungeon Masters didn't allow them. Now, it's been years so it may be because that was in UA. My memory gets foggy… that may be a flaw! wink.gif.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 1:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions Archive Pathfinder / D&D

I missed that wording as I was glancing through the flaws. I will allow the extra feat since it is in the rules.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 3 Discussions and Questions RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

KN, would it be okay with you to do as Ninja mentioned? Take shaky and change name to near sighted? Then I can take a bonus feat.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 2:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Discussions and Questions RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

Yes go ahead and do that as it will help you some. Yes listing as near sighted is a good thing *smile*.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 9:29pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Okay, I'm starting to get a little lonely in that cow pasture. tongue.gif If anyone needs assistance getting ready to start, by all means, let me know. I'm quite willing.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

3.5 D&D You Character RPG Questions & Discussions - Page 3

Out of Character: What you do not like hanging out with a few cows? I have heard they are fun when trying to walk all over you once they knock you off your feet.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

3.5 D&D You Character RPG Questions & Discussions D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 3

I think Den is ready to romp through some cow patties.

KN,

I activated gems. Can you look and okay everything. I haven't picked for my third gem in case you have something in mind for that one… especially since it kind of mirrors a Ranger ability.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (129) »

> TOPIC: 3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.