3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions - Page 3 of 52

I think Den is ready to romp through some - Page 3 - D&D / Pathfinder PBP RPGs - Posted: 17th Apr, 2017 - 9:37pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 9 76 177 Why Join Help Register/Login via:Register/Login via:
Welcome Guest

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (52) »
Discuss  3 5 D&D As Character Role-Playing Game Only Approved Players should participate here.
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 1:33pm / Post ID: #

Daishain
Premium
(+)
Jason
L3 Artificer

Novice / Middle Rear
Character Sheet
Active Player Active Role-player!

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions - Page 3

The Engineer says...

Actually, the rules that introduce flaws do specifically state it. From Page 91 of Unearthed Arcana:

"Flaws are like the flip side of feats. Whereas a feat enables a character to be better than normal at performing a task (Or even to do something that normal characters can't), a flaw restricts a character's capabilities or imposes a penalty of some sort."

"A player may select up to two flaws when creating a character. After 1st level, a character cannot take on additional flaws unless the game master specifically allows it (For examples of times when doing this might be appropriate, see Character Traits, above). Each flaw a player selects entitles his character to a bonus feat. In other words, when you create a character, if you select two flaws, you can also take two bonus feats beyond those your character would be normally entitled to."

The balance justification for this is that a flaw is not simply the inverse of a feat, but rather worse. Taking a flaw and a feat that affect the same thing results in a net loss. For instance, the Shaky flaw mentioned before hits the character with a -2 penalty to all ranged attacks. The Weapon focus feat on the other hand grants a bonus of +1 to the attacks of a single weapon.

This means the only good reason to select flaws is if the feat obtained is more valuable to the character than whatever is penalized, though Dungeon Masters are encouraged to ensure that any flaws taken are not simply bypassed.

By all means, it is your decision, but if the only reason for denying it is its not written in the rules, well, that is not quite accurate.

Attached Image Edited: daishain on 17th Apr, 2017 - 1:43pm

Post Date: 24 September 2017 - 3:39 pm / Post ID: #

Like its politicians and its war, society has the teenagers it deserves. --J. B. Priestley
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Abnninja
Diamond
(+)
Den of Earth
Ranger 3

Lieutenant / Scout
Character Sheet

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions RPGs PBP Pathfinder / D&D

Sound of Wind says...

Daishain,

Wow, I didn't remember that. Thanks for the reminder for me personally. I've been in games where Dungeon Masters didn't allow them. Now, it's been years so it may be because that was in UA. My memory gets foggy… that may be a flaw! ;).

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 1:50pm / Post ID: #

KNtoran
Diamond
(+)
GAME MASTER
ALL

Game Master ◀

Page 3 Discussions and Questions RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

Ignoble says...

I missed that wording as I was glancing through the flaws. I will allow the extra feat since it is in the rules.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

Kyrroeth
Premium
(+)
Rachel
Druid 3

Novice / Rear
Character Sheet ◀

Discussions and Questions RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

Runner of trails says...

KN, would it be okay with you to do as Ninja mentioned? Take shaky and change name to near sighted? Then I can take a bonus feat.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 2:17pm / Post ID: #

KNtoran
Diamond
(+)
GAME MASTER
ALL

Game Master ◀

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions

Ignoble says...

Yes go ahead and do that as it will help you some. Yes listing as near sighted is a good thing *smile*.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 9:29pm / Post ID: #

Daishain
Premium
(+)
Jason
L3 Artificer

Novice / Middle Rear
Character Sheet

Page 3 3.5 D&D You Character RPG Questions & Discussions

The Engineer says...

Okay, I'm starting to get a little lonely in that cow pasture. :P If anyone needs assistance getting ready to start, by all means, let me know. I'm quite willing.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

KNtoran
Diamond
(+)
GAME MASTER
ALL

Game Master ◀

3.5 D&D You Character RPG Questions & Discussions - Page 3

Ignoble says...

Out of Character: What you do not like hanging out with a few cows? I have heard they are fun when trying to walk all over you once they knock you off your feet.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2017 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #

Abnninja
Diamond
(+)
Den of Earth
Ranger 3

Lieutenant / Scout
Character Sheet

3.5 D&D You Character RPG Questions & Discussions D&D / Pathfinder PBP RPGs - Page 3

Sound of Wind says...

I think Den is ready to romp through some cow patties.

KN,

I activated gems. Can you look and okay everything. I haven't picked for my third gem in case you have something in mind for that one… especially since it kind of mirrors a Ranger ability.

Guest please SHARE: "3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions" on:

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (52) »
Sponsored Links:

If 3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions is not what you are looking for then you may wish to Start A NEW Topic.
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar and ensuring that your Post complies with our RPG Etiquette (use of OOC / off topic tags, etc) before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Enable Smilies  Enable Signature
Dice Options: Need Dice Help?

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: 3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Questions & Discussions

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2017
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.

ROK II

Current Leaders

Hunter

Hunter (15)
Chynacat

Melodie (11)
Krusten

Krusten (10)
Thomaslee

Jonathon (9)
Wizard

Merlin (9)
Goldendawn

Aaroni (9)

Aspiring Leaders

Thaosx / Dazrin (8)
Txtrpg / Zork (2)
Stacia / Charmaine (7)
Anronrosby / Kronar (5)
Usabookworm / Bonifacius (5)
Seraphina / Alana (4)

Ready To Rule?

Are you here yet or still hiding? Come out of your cave and become a Ruler... a Ruler of Kings.

Highlights

Ruler Of Kings 2 Text RPG General Discussion: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Wizard 3 Hours Ago
Global Climate Change: Will the earth's climate change on her own or are we the ones sending it in a disastrous direction? By Abnninja 5.6 Days Ago
Melania Knauss-Trump: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Abnninja 6.9 Days Ago
ISIS - ISIL: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Abnninja 1 Week Ago
The Media: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Abnninja 1 Week Ago
Directly Meeting With Aliens: In this Thread are other Threads that asks the question: "Where are the aliens?" By KNtoran 1 Week Ago
A Medieval Continue The Story RPG: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Beowolf 7th Sep, 2017 - 8:32pm
Are People Born Gay Or Gay By Choice?: Is there a science behind why someone is / becomes homosexual? Is it neurological or biological? By Blessed 7th Sep, 2017 - 4:22pm
Ivanka Trump: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By William 7th Sep, 2017 - 2:46pm
Al Franken: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Abnninja 16th Jul, 2017 - 4:21am