Baby Mourning Doves

Baby Mourning Doves - International Forum Gallery - Posted: 4th Jun, 2017 - 4:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Best of  Baby Mourning Doves
4th May, 2017 - 7:50pm / Post ID: #

Baby Mourning Doves

Baby Mourning Doves

Below is a picture I took of some Baby Mourning Doves that are occupying part of our home. If you want to know the history of how this happened read this:

international QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Courtship begins with a noisy flight by the male, followed by a graceful, circular glide with outstretched wings and head down. After landing, the male will approach the female with a puffed-out breast, bobbing head, and loud calls. Mated pairs will often preen each other's feathers The male then leads the female to potential nest sites, and the female will choose one. The female dove builds the nest. The male will fly about, gather material, and bring it to her. The male will stand on the female's back and give the material to the female, who then builds it into the nest. The nest is constructed of twigs, conifer needles, or grass blades, and is of flimsy construction. Mourning doves will sometimes requisition the unused nests of other mourning doves, other birds, or arboreal mammals such as squirrels.

That part in bold is how our home got chosen. We tried everything to get the parents to stop building their nest on the inside ledges of the porch but they ignored our 'barricades' and insisted by making a mess everywhere. Yes, they've done this dozens of times.

Finally, I decided to build something simple for them hence the white part you see in the photo which is a PVC pipe holding a cover in place. The babies grow very fast and at this stage the mother sometimes flies off to get food. Its at this point I was able to get close enough to get a picture without scaring her.

Baby Mourning Doves
Baby Mourning Doves (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th May, 2017 - 7:59pm / Post ID: #

Baby Mourning Doves
A Friend

Doves Mourning Baby

JB,

Good stuff here. I love it. Nothing like helping nature… even inviting nature in to your home. Will they come back now year after year or is this a one time event?

4th May, 2017 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Baby Mourning Doves Gallery Forum International

They rotate doing this every few weeks. Once the babies fly away there will be about a week's break and then the mother (Not sure if its the same one) will inspect the nest and sit there for a long time until more babies appear. My phone's camera is not good enough to get a good shot of what the mother looks like as I have to stand about 15 feet away from the nest but the below from Wikipedia is very accurate.

Image from Wikimedia public domain.

Baby Mourning Doves
Baby Mourning Doves (Hover)

Post Date: 5th May, 2017 - 11:24am / Post ID: #

Baby Mourning Doves
A Friend

Doves Mourning Baby

Ah, now I understand. You are either running a boarding house, a nursery, or a bordello… or maybe it's a combination of the three! That's actually very cool.

Post Date: 24th May, 2017 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

Baby Mourning Doves
A Friend

Doves Mourning Baby

How are you non-paying tenants doing? Have they left for greener pastures? Or are there lots of little ones?

24th May, 2017 - 1:25pm / Post ID: #

Baby Mourning Doves

She had two, they flew away and then I had to clean the area and put some rocks to stop them from nesting again. Unfortunately, we rent so we cannot afford to have them 'damaging' the place and throwing stuff below on other tenants. I think after several pregnancies we did our part. If we ever have our own home with land I will definitely setup some sort of outdoor sanctuary so they can avoid the hawks and have their young in peace.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Jun, 2017 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

Baby Mourning Doves

In an update to this, instead of having babies there (They can no longer do it because I have placed rocks in the space) a couple of love doves have taken the space to sleep together during the night and leave during the day. That spot in the house must be a sweet spot!

Post Date: 4th Jun, 2017 - 4:18pm / Post ID: #

Baby Mourning Doves
A Friend

Baby Mourning Doves International Forum Gallery

JB,

I think they think you are running a brothel. The word must be out on dovenet.com, do here, it's the happening spot for doves in love *wink*.

+  1 2 

Comment Add Comment As A Guest
Important Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

# Characters:
# Words:
# Sentences:
# Paragraphs:
Reading Time:
Optional:
Search

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Baby Mourning Doves

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,