Kids And Teens Cutting And Self-injury

Kids Teens Cutting Self-injury - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 9th May, 2017 - 12:13am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

13th Apr, 2010 - 7:24am / Post ID: #

Never thought I would need to know so much about this. Found out today that my daughter has been cutting herself. Not a lot, and not for long, and not severely. Enough to cause concern at school and freak me out a bit.

international QUOTE
Injuring yourself on purpose by making scratches or cuts on your body with a sharp object - enough to break the skin and make it bleed - is called cutting. Cutting is a type of self-injury, or SI. Most people who cut are girls, but guys self-injure, too. People who cut usually start cutting in their young teens. Some continue to cut into adulthood.

People may cut themselves on their wrists, arms, legs, or bellies. Some people self-injure by burning their skin with the end of a cigarette or lighted match.

When cuts or burns heal, they often leave scars or marks. People who injure themselves usually hide the cuts and marks and sometimes no one else knows.

It can be hard to understand why people cut themselves on purpose. Cutting is a way some people try to cope with the pain of strong emotions, intense pressure, or upsetting relationship problems. They may be dealing with feelings that seem too difficult to bear, or bad situations they think can't change.

Some people cut because they feel desperate for relief from bad feelings. People who cut may not know better ways to get relief from emotional pain or pressure. Some people cut to express strong feelings of rage, sorrow, rejection, desperation, longing, or emptiness.

There are other ways to cope with difficulties, even big problems and terrible emotional pain. The help of a mental health professional might be needed for major life troubles or overwhelming emotions. For other tough situations or strong emotions, it can help put things in perspective to talk problems over with parents, other adults, or friends. Getting plenty of exercise can also help put problems in perspective and help balance emotions.

But people who cut may not have developed ways to cope. Or their coping skills may be overpowered by emotions that are too intense. When emotions don't get expressed in a healthy way, tension can build up - sometimes to a point where it seems almost unbearable. Cutting may be an attempt to relieve that extreme tension. For some, it seems like a way of feeling in control.

Sponsored Links:
13th Apr, 2010 - 10:38am / Post ID: #

Self-injury Cutting Teens Kids

Sorry to read that, please check these Threads for more on it:

* Self-Mutilation (Mature): Source 3
* Harming Yourself (UK Stats fo Children): Source 7
* Building Your Child's Self Esteem: Source 5
* Low Self-Esteem: Source 5

14th Apr, 2010 - 1:51am / Post ID: #

Kids And Teens Cutting And Self-injury Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Roz, so sorry to hear about your daughter! Did you consider about taking her to a child psychologist? My experience as a teacher with at least 3 girls who did the same thing, indicated a traumatic experience (either past or present) that made them hurt themselves.

Post Date: 8th May, 2012 - 10:22pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Half of all teens 'harm themselves'

Half of all teenagers say they will deliberately harm themselves at least once, and psychologists are struggling to pinpoint why. Ref. Source 3

Post Date: 8th May, 2017 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Direct and not indirect childhood abuse linked to non-suicidal self-injury in adolescents

Adolescents who were physically abused or sexually abused were more likely to engage in non-suicidal self-injury than their non-abused counterparts, according to a new study. Ref. Source 3l.

Post Date: 8th May, 2017 - 10:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I can see this being a cause but I do not think it is the only cause. Lots of teens have some issues and if they do not have someone they can talk to they may interanlize it and that could lead to cutting or self harm. I hope that more parents realize this and take steps to always have good open relationship with their teens.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 9th May, 2017 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Kids Teens Cutting Self-injury

KN,

I agree with you here. I know a kid that did this and there was no abuse. There were other issues involved and it a way call out for help. When she got that help theses actions stopped. I'm not saying this can't be reason, but I am saying not to jump to conclusions.

> TOPIC: Kids And Teens Cutting And Self-injury

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,