Text RPG Creator: Character Genealogy

Text Rpg Creator Character Genealogy - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 10th Jan, 2018 - 7:35am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

18th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian
Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric
Wizard
Wizard

+  1 2 
Closed
  Text RPG Creator Character Genealogy Establish the ancestry of a Character randomly or manually to establish the Character's background.
16th Sep, 2017 - 12:18pm / Post ID: #

A button called, "Genealogy" is already on your Character Sheet. This section will allow a Player to establish their Character's Pedigree. In other words, you will be able to give a more established background about your Character. For instance, who was the Character's mother / father, grandfather / grandmother, etc.

You will see various fields with the name and description you wish for each of your ancestors. In each of those you can state if there was something in the Character's Ancestry that would affect the Character, for example: was the Character's grandfather royal or had some line to the throne? Was he a thief and wanted by a gang who promised he would pay through his posterity?

This new feature establishes the background and gives an answer to the big question of a Character coming into a game: who are they really? It will also add a good twist for Game Masters who may want to play on a Character's ancestry.

The Game Master / Dungeon Master has an Abridged section below your Genealogy to make any additions that are needed. See example: Game Coder's Ancestral Line

Text RPG Creator: Character Genealogy (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2017 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Genealogy Character Creator RPG Text

JB,

This is a great feature. What a cool way to start with a backstory. If Fay's history wasn't already so well established I'd go do this now.

7th Jan, 2018 - 8:50pm / Post ID: #

Text RPG Creator: Character Genealogy Reviews RPG & Card Board

I am currently working on the Genealogy part of the Text Role-playing Game Creator but will like to get some more feedback. Will it be better to have genealogy randomly generated rather than give the player the choice, after all we do not choose our parents in life?

7th Jan, 2018 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

I don't play in the regular Role-playing Games so my opinion may not count but I will leave it anyway *wink* Having random parents can be lots of fun if the player doesn't mind have it generated that way. If someone wants a specific character then having ancestors that are far from that may make coming up a matching background even more difficult rather than easier.

Post Date: 8th Jan, 2018 - 12:23pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hmm, I think, if doable, that a bit of both may be in order. Randomly generate a genealogy, but let it be editable afterwards.

Random generation can give an excellent starting point, especially for someone a little stuck, but it can also introduce details that really just don't fit.

8th Jan, 2018 - 4:44pm / Post ID: #

I think people should have the option to write their own genealogy. So much of everyone's lives are shaped by their upbringing and parents. So if a person wants to play a certain character, I feel it is important to give the player a chance to shape that part of the character's life. In real life we do not get to choose who are parents are but we also don't get to choose lots of things that we normally leave up to players choice. Things such as where a person is born, what race they are, what economic state they are born into, and even when they are born, all play a significant aspect in the trajectory of a person's life.
One of the truly wonderful things that role-playing games has to offer is an opportunity to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. It is my opinion that giving someone the freedom to choose their own destiny, could allow a person to explore the inner workings of people not like themselves. And with that experience hopefully gaining some insight into others and allow them to act with increased compassion and empathy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Jan, 2018 - 4:51pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Text RPG Creator Character Genealogy

While this will help with backstory, it's just fluff to fill in for character development. It should be static after character creation, not something you'll have to go back and edit. Most times, this kind of thing is just included in you backstory in a general sense. Getting more detailed seems unnecessary.

10th Jan, 2018 - 7:35am / Post ID: #

Text RPG Creator Character Genealogy Board Card & RPG Reviews

It could be interesting and allow for a some great character building. Though I am in agreement that it should at least not be completely random or without choice by the player of the character whose genealogy is being put together. The only way a fully undecided genealogy could work I feel is if one creates their character after such is put together.

While we cannot choose our family, whether for good or for ill, it is very often the case that one can be or is strongly shaped by one's family and name. By one's parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins, nieces or nephews, one's family can play very much a role in who we became.

Either because of one's family, or in spite of it.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 10th Jan, 2018 - 7:36am

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Text RPG Creator: Character Genealogy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,