Anronrosby's Star Trek RPG Review - Page 2 of 2

No I've only put the idea on the back-burner, - Page 2 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 27th Feb, 2018 - 2:13am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Wizard
Wizard

+  1 2 
6th Dec, 2017 - 11:36am / Post ID: #

Anronrosby's Star Trek RPG Review - Page 2

Anronrosby, in answer to your Emails and in the interest of gathering the necessary information let me help you out a bit:

I tried sending the following through the CBS contact page (CBS Interactive) but it would not go through but when you ask permission it should be in this format:

international QUOTE
Greets, we have a board here: Source 5g that we use for science fiction based Role-playing Games based on writing. Most of the content is generic or custom made. Some of our writers have an interest in creating a Star Trek based Role-playing Game where they invent their own characters and play by the old FASA rules which they already received permission to use. Our request is simply to use the title "Star Trek" in the title of the game. For instance, it will be like, "Star Trek Role-playing Game Play by Post". We do not need any images, popular names (Spock, Captain Kirk), etc. We do not use our writings to charge people for anything as all games are made free. Thank you kindly.

Now CBS is friendly with the usage of the "Star Trek" name so long as we are not making money out of it, which we are not. This can also be seen in the way they are willing to highlight fan based sites. Their specific terms are located here: CBS Interactive Terms of Use. It is always good to have permission, because if someone wants to cause trouble - they can - even when you are in compliance. Therefore, have a look at this part of their terms:
international QUOTE (CBS)
You are only permitted to access and view the Content for personal, non-commercial purposes in accordance with these Terms, and may not build a business or other enterprise utilizing any of the Content, whether for profit or not. Except as provided in Section 4(A) or otherwise expressly authorized by us in writing

In section 4a it says:
international QUOTE (CBS)
We may expressly authorize you to redistribute certain Content on a personal, non-commercial basis. We will identify the Content that you are authorized to redistribute and describe ways you may redistribute it (Such as via email, blogs, or embedded players, or by producing Mash-Ups). We may revoke this authorization at any time.

Therefore, permission must be sought. You might think I am being ridiculously picky, however I am writing this out of experience and know that some people can be vindictive if you do not cover your bases so better to take a pro-active approach.

Now, if you are not able to get them through the contact form please see the phone numbers, you can call and have them Email me the permission: CBS Interactive Location and Numbers.

In summary, you will most likely get permission, but they need to give us in writing with whatever terms attached to it.

Sponsored Links:
6th Dec, 2017 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

Review RPG Trek Star Anronrosbys

There are literally hundreds of fan sites out there all using some form of Trekkie stuff and I don't think CBS minds because all it does is make it more popular. The number one thing they don't want is as JB said, you can't be charging for nothing off of it but its always best to get permission cause no one can argue that.

8th Dec, 2017 - 2:23am / Post ID: #

Anronrosby's Star Trek RPG Review Reviews RPG & Card Board

Why not just run your game under FASA rules and leave out the "Star Trek" bit from your game until you get permission? Players will get the gist of the kind of game you're running correct?

26th Feb, 2018 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Review RPG Trek Star Anronrosbys

That's a great idea Diamond Chief, simply leave out the words Startrek. But how far would I have to go? Keep the same races, but call them by a different name? Eg Vulcan rename Sefaran?

Create different planets and systems, other than Federation, Vulcan, or Romulus?

I suppose the starships should have different insignia, and numbering, maybe look a little different, have three nacelles, a different propulsion unit?

I personally don't want to charge anything as JB mentioned, as a Gamemaster either.

The FASA rule book, is an easy read, and is no longer in print. But I would only need 10% of it anyhow.

For example, we have seven core attributes, Strength, Endurance, Dexterity to name a few. Requiring 3D10 plus 40 and modifier's.
Skills are rolled with a percentile, and also subject to modifiers.

Hopefully, the embedded dice support could cover the character creation side of this.

Post Date: 26th Feb, 2018 - 2:58pm / Post ID: #

Anronrosby's Star Trek RPG Review
A Friend

Review RPG Trek Star Anronrosbys

In order to avoid copyright violations, you would have to strip out anything and everything that is arguably unique to star trek (Even in some instances if it isn't actually unique. You'd probably even have to avoid the term warp drive for instance, in spite of that being found elsewhere). Vulcans, planet names, ship design, etc. Pretty much everything except the core rules.

Frankly, you'd have to rebuild the universe from scratch, and I honestly doubt it would be worth the effort.

My suggestion? If permission cannot be obtained, find another Science Fiction game that doesn't have these issues.

I know for instance that the relatively new FFG Star Wars Role-playing Game was played on public channels in a number of different places. Meaning either permission is granted in advance, or can be obtained.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 26th Feb, 2018 - 3:00pm

27th Feb, 2018 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Anronrosby's Star Trek RPG Review

Anronrosby- I thought you were done with this since you started this review since last year. Did you even contact them to get permission?

Daishain- nah, Star Wars is even more strict. Another guy tried to start one here and they asked and didn't get the permission. There is a long thread about it somewhere in the forums.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Feb, 2018 - 2:13am / Post ID: #

Anronrosby's Star Trek RPG Review - Page 2

No I've only put the idea on the back-burner, definitely not done with the idea.

I have three reasons, firstly there is a plethora of Dungeons & Dragons play by post Role-playing Game, already, on this site. Which I'm already participating in two of them, possibly three soon? Yes, I'm currently enjoying them all.

Secondly, I've personally played the table-top version of Star Trek Role-playing Game by FASA, and quite enjoyed it. I've played the game as a Gamemaster and a player before.

Thirdly, I'm keen on the idea of starting up a science fiction based play by post game, in this forum. Because I like Startrek, Starwar's and science fiction. There is the copyright issue with Startrek and Starwars. Which unfortunately, make it problematic, but not impossible.

However, Daishain and Diamond Chief, you have both given me an idea for a possible solution here.
May take a bit of time, and the creativity may need to be put into overdrive.

I have the out of print, core rules which are used for game mechanics. So it is a matter of going through, the document and substituting everything and anything that is remotely connected to Star trek per se.

Is it worth it? Don't know at his stage, but will find out. This won't preclude me from participating in Dungeons & Dragons play by post by any means.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Anronrosby's Star Trek RPG Review

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,