Being Selfish In Role-playing

Being Selfish Role-playing - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:44am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Draconian
Draconian
Fighter
Fighter
Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Wizard
Wizard

+  1 2 
3rd Jan, 2018 - 11:12pm / Post ID: #

What about the cleric that always heals himself or the thief that takes something from the chest before anyone knows about? Do you think its possible to be selfish or is it your right to exercise the best of your class for yourself before others?

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jan, 2018 - 11:35pm / Post ID: #

Role-playing Selfish Being

You can do what you want with your character so long as you remember the other players can do the same and they might want to 'punish' your selfishness.

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2018 - 11:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Being Selfish In Role-playing Reviews RPG & Card Board

Of course it is possible to be too selfish. Most campaigns are cooperative ventures where the wellbeing of the team as a whole is of high importance.

There are exceptions to this, but generally speaking everyone is dependent on each other, and should be thinking, at least to some small degree, in those terms.

Now, that isn't to say that one cannot be selfish for some moralistic reason, your character is your character. But beyond a certain point, if a character is not trustworthy, the player doesn't get to object if his character is treated as such. Kicked out, turned over to the authorities, forced to pay for a party member's resurrection, etc.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 3rd Jan, 2018 - 11:58pm

4th Jan, 2018 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Thanks for your input what about the case where the character sees to self first as a matter of by the way helps others but never as a first priority. I guess you can say they are never willing to sacrifice self to save others which might be to some degree 'normal' depending on the situation. I think exceptional people risk saving others before themselves or am I ignorant about that?

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:19am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I wouldn't consider self sacrifice to be an expected mode of behavior if that is what you're asking. People willing to work together for the betterment of the whole is what I'd consider the default for a normal campaign.

True self sacrifice is a level of heroism that I'd consider rare, and to be cherished when it appears.

4th Jan, 2018 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

I'm sure a player could argue that sparing a spell to assist another character could jeopardize a future time when he would need it. While some might call that just preparing some might say its being selfish. I've actually seen both aspects of that happen during play and can caused mixed feelings.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Jan, 2018 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Being Selfish Role-playing

The only time I ever see a character being sacrificed is when the player wants to come out of the game or already left the game and the Dungeon Master does that to the character.

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:44am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Being Selfish Role-playing Board Card & RPG Reviews

It's perfectly fine to play a selfish character. One of the more common alignments played is chaotic neutral and that is talking C͏a͏r͏e of them selves first. We can't expect all characters to be virtuous like paladins and always put themselves last. That isn't realistic.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:46am

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Being Selfish In Role-playing

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,