Being Selfish In Role-playing

Being Selfish Role-playing - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:44am

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 5 20 86 Why Join Help
+  1 2 
Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2018 - 11:12pm / Post ID: #

Member Member
[?] CPosts: 54
Avg: 0.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 1.5%
[+] Gain: 25.55 FP
Charm: 3

What about the cleric that always heals himself or the thief that takes something from the chest before anyone knows about? Do you think its possible to be selfish or is it your right to exercise the best of your class for yourself before others?

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2018 - 11:35pm / Post ID: #

Diamond Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 1,507
Avg: 1.3 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 35.1%
[+] Gain: 8,022.62 FP
Charm: 19

Role-playing Selfish Being

You can do what you want with your character so long as you remember the other players can do the same and they might want to 'punish' your selfishness.

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2018 - 11:50pm / Post ID: #

Premium + Chief
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 1,004
Avg: 10.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 22,170.93 FP
Charm: 137

Being Selfish In Role-playing Reviews RPG & Card Board

Of course it is possible to be too selfish. Most campaigns are cooperative ventures where the wellbeing of the team as a whole is of high importance.

There are exceptions to this, but generally speaking everyone is dependent on each other, and should be thinking, at least to some small degree, in those terms.

Now, that isn't to say that one cannot be selfish for some moralistic reason, your character is your character. But beyond a certain point, if a character is not trustworthy, the player doesn't get to object if his character is treated as such. Kicked out, turned over to the authorities, forced to pay for a party member's resurrection, etc.

Attached Image Edited: daishain on 3rd Jan, 2018 - 11:58pm

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Member Member

Thanks for your input what about the case where the character sees to self first as a matter of by the way helps others but never as a first priority. I guess you can say they are never willing to sacrifice self to save others which might be to some degree 'normal' depending on the situation. I think exceptional people risk saving others before themselves or am I ignorant about that?

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:19am / Post ID: #

Premium + Chief
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 1,004
Avg: 10.0 Post(s) / Day
[+] Gain: 22,170.93 FP
Charm: 137

I wouldn't consider self sacrifice to be an expected mode of behavior if that is what you're asking. People willing to work together for the betterment of the whole is what I'd consider the default for a normal campaign.

True self sacrifice is a level of heroism that I'd consider rare, and to be cherished when it appears.

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

Member Member

I'm sure a player could argue that sparing a spell to assist another character could jeopardize a future time when he would need it. While some might call that just preparing some might say its being selfish. I've actually seen both aspects of that happen during play and can caused mixed feelings.

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Member Graced
[?] CPosts: 161
Avg: 0.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 1.2%
[+] Gain: 188.58 FP

Being Selfish Role-playing

The only time I ever see a character being sacrificed is when the player wants to come out of the game or already left the game and the Dungeon Master does that to the character.

Post Date: 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:44am / Post ID: #

Premium + Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 833
Avg: 5.6 Post(s) / Day
[+] Gain: 1,258.53 FP
Charm: 144

It's perfectly fine to play a selfish character. One of the more common alignments played is chaotic neutral and that is talking C͏a͏r͏e of them selves first. We can't expect all characters to be virtuous like paladins and always put themselves last. That isn't realistic.

Attached Image Edited: Kyrroeth on 4th Jan, 2018 - 12:46am

Post Date: Fri Oct 19, 2018 - 19:20:00 GMT / Post ID: #

History

We rest Being Selfish In Roleplaying to share correct from old times:
HistoricToday is: 19th October (GMT), in history on the 19th of October, 1871 AD the following birth happened:
Walter B Cannon: US physiologist (Wisdom of the Body)

Guest please SHARE: "Being Selfish In Role-playing" on:

+  1 2 
Sponsored Links:

Do you have any Being Selfish In Role-playing Tips
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Being Selfish In Role-playing

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2018
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Privacy and Disclaimer pages.

RPG Info

Latest Game Topics

Highlights

Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master: The root of the game is the Game Master. While Players contribute it is the GM that decides how it all pans out. By Madison 25th Sep, 2018 - 4:14am
Using Alignment In Role-Playing Games: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Jack 9th Sep, 2018 - 4:07pm
Embedded Dice Support: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By JB 21st Aug, 2018 - 11:32pm
RPG Newsletters: This is a copy of the RPG Newsletters sent to your Email address. By JB 11th Aug, 2018 - 11:03pm
Justice League: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Staple 12th Feb, 2018 - 1:19am
Romance In Role-playing Games: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By DarkScribe 30th Dec, 2017 - 9:46pm
RPG Marching Order: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By KNtoran 30th Dec, 2017 - 8:27pm
Text RPG Creator's Gems: Gems enable your Character to have special powers or enhancements. By KNtoran 9th Sep, 2017 - 11:08pm
Don't Break A New Player's Enthusiasm: Make sure to welcome those brand new Players wanting to get their Character created. By KNtoran 9th Sep, 2017 - 10:56pm
Kung Fu Yoga: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Factual 28th Mar, 2017 - 10:44am