Can The President Of The USA Pardon Himself?

Can President Usa Pardon Himself - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 8th Jun, 2018 - 7:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 8th Jun, 2018 - 2:10am / Post ID: #

Trump: ‘I have the right to pardon myself’. THE US President has claimed he has the power to clear himself in the ongoing Russia probe, adding that the special counsel investigation is ‘totally unconstitutional’. Source 7p.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th Jun, 2018 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Himself Pardon USA The President Can

The fact that the president has the power to pardon people I am not sure if that power of pardon includes himself otherwise I think that Nixon would have pardoned himself and not leave it to Ford to do after Nixon was out of office. I think it takes another sitting president to pardon a ex president. Thus Trump should not have the power to pardon himself in my opinion.

Post Date: 8th Jun, 2018 - 6:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Can The President Of The USA Pardon Himself? History & Civil Business Politics

No, he or she cannot pardon himself.

Nixon asked the DOJ about it 3 days before he resigned, the answer was no then, and there have been no changes to the relevant laws since. Its even less likely now, since our justice system leans heavily towards established precedent, and the ruling for Nixon is the only precedent available.

The point is moot to some degree anyways. By definition, to accept a pardon, one must plead guilty to the crimes in question. If Trump was able to pardon himself, the justice system might not be able to put him in jail, but congress would have more than enough fuel to impeach him.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 8th Jun, 2018 - 6:17pm

8th Jun, 2018 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Interesting, so what would it take to get a president pardoned, an act of congress or the supreme court?

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 9 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.9%

Post Date: 8th Jun, 2018 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Only the president holds the ability to simply pardon someone. So, as in Nixon's case (Pardoned by his successor Ford after Nixon resigned), it would take another president to pardon them.

Of course, if they go to court and win, there's nothing to pardon.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 8th Jun, 2018 - 7:36pm

> TOPIC: Can The President Of The USA Pardon Himself?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,