Amazon Rainforest

Amazon Rainforest - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 30th Nov, 2008 - 3:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Should we be actively concerned?
Post Date: 23rd Mar, 2006 - 1:22pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Amazon Rainforest

AMAZON RAINFOREST

WITHOUT PROTECTION, AMAZON RAINFOREST FACES HUGE LOSS: SCIENTISTS

About 40 per cent of the rainforest in the Amazon could be destroyed by 2050 unless Brazil adds measures to protect trees on private land, scientists say.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2...rest060322.html

Sponsored Links:
8th Apr, 2006 - 7:30pm / Post ID: #

Rainforest Amazon

I remember back in the 80's, the Amazon rainforest was a huge topic of discussion for environmentalists, but that has seemed to die down considerably over the last 2 decades. I don't know if it's because things have gotten better there, or whether new areas of the environment like the ozone layer and global warming and weather trends have gotten more attention. According to this article, it seems the rainforest is still a huge problem area, but is it getting the attention it needs?

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

11th Apr, 2006 - 6:39am / Post ID: #

Amazon Rainforest History & Civil Business Politics

The Amazon is a major problem but I believe it isn't getting the attention it requires because there are many other problems in the world deemed more newsworthy.

At the moment the Middle East is flavour of the month for newsmakers. It's a shame that the Amazon is not still on the radar because it is a resource that is being destroyed and will never be properly replaced.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 12th Apr, 2006 - 11:07pm / Post ID: #

Amazon Rainforest
A Friend

Rainforest Amazon

Its hard understand how important the rain forest is to us in the northern hemisphere. The fact is that it is very important to our air and survival for it to survive. But those of us who actively oppose these types of forest clearings have had to switch our focus because of the large amount of injustice against humanity. Two wars in six years only show you recently why stopping the rain forest from destruction has been put on the back burner for now. Its still important and still relevant. Problem is that if we all kill ourselves, then the rain forest doesn't really matter.

13th Apr, 2006 - 11:29pm / Post ID: #

Rainforest Amazon

Does the US have any rainforest? Australia has a few pockets still left. It's a very tropical foliage.

Rainforests are some of the most magical places on earth. When you enter one it is almost pitch black and it is teeming with wildlife, intersting sounds and smell. I'm a massive supporter of preserving these dinosaurs of the biological world. They say rainforests are literally thousands, if not 10,000s, years old.

There can be no justification for cutting them down for wood. We now harvest wood, and while this process takes time, there are so many other materials we now use for construction.

Unfortunately, rainforests tend to be located in poor countries that rely on a vibrant timber industry. Personally I think everyone in this world should look at ways of preserving these majestic wonderlands. Even if that means providing timber reliant economies with a viable way out.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

13th Apr, 2006 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Amazon Rainforest

Arvhic, you hit the nail on the head in that the rainforests are typically located in poorer countries. The real key then is convincing, or at least helping, these countries administrators to use substitute ways of harvesting lumber, or at least providing aid (financial or technological) to help them in that arena. Then there are the 'illegal' harvesters who bypass the laws of the land and pillage these rainforests. The governments in these countries don't have any real motivation to pursue these 'rapists' of the forests, and other countries, like the US and major European countries need to assist in bringing these criminals to justice, and paying harsh penalties.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Apr, 2006 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Amazon Rainforest

Your assessment is spot on Malexander. I think you will also find that the reason why Governments aren't pursuing illegal harvesters is because they are being paid out. This is certainly the case in Malaysia.

The only way we can wean poor societies off these industries is by providing a viable alternative. But it has to be a united effort. And I also like your idea about providing an independent police force to protect rainforests.

I think anyone in this community who has visited a rainforest would endorse suggestions to protect these amazing places.

Post Date: 30th Nov, 2008 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Amazon Rainforest Politics Business Civil & History

Amazon deforestation accelerates

The destruction of the Amazon rainforest in Brazil has accelerated for the first time in four years, officials say.
Ref. Source 9

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Amazon Rainforest

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,