Colonization: Good or Bad

Colonization Good Bad - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 15th Feb, 2012 - 2:59am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

In general terms
3rd Sep, 2008 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Is there really any land today that has not had numerous colonizations in its borders?

I look at where I live. The argument has been made that Southern Arizona where I live should be given back to Mexico because it was once Mexican territory. But Mexicans were not the original inhabitants of the area.

The Americans took (bought through the Gadsden purchase) the area around southern Arizona from the Mexico, Mexico had broken away from Spain,
The Spanish essentially gained supremacy over the native population, through military supremacy and the decimation of the Inca and Aztec nation by smallpox and influenza. Though these were not populations found in Arizona persay the effect of Spanish colonization led to the creation of Mexico which supplanted the local Pueblo population that existed and exist in Arizona today. The ancient civilization found in the were mostly colonizers and fighters, as were many cultures in ancient America. When they took the land they started to become relatively peaceful due to agriculture until the next group came along to take their land

The history of the Native people where I live included many transitions from one people taking over another, through peaceful means at times while at other times through violence. I really don't believe that there are any truly native peoples that have not come to the area were I live without them having have taken it from someone else. I am sure this is true of most places.

I am not saying that colonization is good, but that it is a common part of history, and will probably continue throughout the rest of history.

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2008 - 7:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bad Good Colonization

I think it is just a collision of one warlike tribe meeting another. The Americans won and the Mexicans lost. I hate to hear all the whining about it personally.

I think that if the Aztecs could have gotten to europe then they would have done the same. I am not going to feel to bad about being an American.

I don't think that colonization is bad as long as it is done under right reasons. In my area the Cherokee were actually civilized with orchards and brick homes. The poor whites were jealous and and kicked them out and stole there homes (trail of tears). This was clearly wrong.

The western Natives were more warlike and were constantly killing each other. You live by the sword and you die by it.

I see the mexicans and the Americans as 2 separate factions struggling for territory.

There are a lot of atrocities committed by all sides and everyone will have to answer to god as individuals.

The english approach to colonization was done out of greed and they not only exploited the inhabitants but they exploited their own people. That is why they were constantly worried about revolts.

Just my 2 cents.

19th Aug, 2009 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

Colonization: Good or Bad History & Civil Business Politics

You can't shrug off the things that have been done throughout history. You are asking if it was a positive thing overall? Genocide, theft, disease, kidnapping, rape, murder, lies, these are the things that came with colonization. Have you heard of the boarding schools? Colonization was not a positive happening for this continent. To this day treaties are still being broken and more lies are being told. If the European immigrants had come to "the Americas" with gratitude and hadn't done so many awful things then colonization would have been different.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 5 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.5%

8th Oct, 2009 - 8:34am / Post ID: #

Bad Good Colonization

international QUOTE

Genocide, theft, disease, kidnapping, rape, murder, lies, these are the things that came with colonization

These things were here long before the Europeans got here. Aztecs were ripping peoples hearts out for goodness sake, the Cherokees were at war during much of their history, and the Incas took over much of South America by Conquest. It is true that there were also peaceful societies during that time, but they were often overrun by the warring tribes that existed at the time.

I am not saying these actions are good, but that they had been going on for hundreds if not thousand of years before the Spanish arrived. Unfortunately history is what it is and we cannot change it.

But to say I am not grateful that I find my self in Southern Arizona would be a lie, and to a small extent, it is because one warring tribe (the Spaniards), had taken over the land from another warring tribe (The Incas) who took the land through conquest from the Chancas who took over the land from some other tribe. Why are the Spaniards the only culture that we look down on because of their conquest.

The truth is, the People who lived in the America's were as blood thirsty and depraved as the Spanish Conquers. People suck, and there really were not innocent nations back then, not even the so called Peaceful Natives.

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Post Date: 3rd Dec, 2009 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

Bad Good Colonization

Name: Jason

Comments: I recently had this great idea that we all start looking at all human history as our human history, not separating and relating by bloodline, ethnicity, etc...Humans who have lived before us are our ancestors, they have all done horrible things and had horrible things done to them. Moving forward how can all human beings make a better world?
I believe that by feeling a greater kinship to the history of only a section of the population we just continue what got us here in the first place.

Post Date: 14th Feb, 2012 - 10:56pm / Post ID: #

Name: Zay

Title: Colonization

Comments: Colonization is half/half in Africa is half good and half bad. Its half good because it helped set peace to 300 tribes in Africa... Also its half bad be cause its sets the same results to lives and cultures, it always end with destruction.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Feb, 2012 - 2:59am / Post ID: #

Colonization Good Bad

Name: Isaiah

Title: Colonization

Comments: Colonization, is never good in any country... It always comes up with the same results, destruction in cultures and lives.

> TOPIC: Colonization: Good or Bad

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,