Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks

Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 30th Sep, 2008 - 6:45am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 6th Sep, 2008 - 1:51am / Post ID: #

Too deep for you and drowning? What sucks about Studying Deep Doctrine?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th Sep, 2008 - 6:43am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sucks Doctrine Deep Studying Why

When you say something so deep and can't come up with a sufficient reference because the church itself is not going to start teaching super deep doctrine when members are already struggling with such as basic commandments regarding service and love, so when you say something too deep either no one will respond because they don't believe you or they are just to scared to further the discussion. Joseph Smith could have written a book on three degrees of Glory that would have made the Bible look allot paler in comparesian both in size and doctrine. How many opportunities has God's children been offered for such great knowledge but have been lost because of lack of Faith. So what Sucks is that even with the greater knowledge of Gospel Doctrine is that One can't seem to give support to others let alone keep themselves from hitting the ground hard.

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2008 - 8:11am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks Studies Doctrine Mormon

Wow Kenny you hit the nail on the head there. I look forward to seeing some of your thoughts.

I will certainly tell you if I disagree with any of them though.

That is exactly why Deep Doctrine sucks!

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2008 - 7:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thanks, it has been both a blessing and a curse. I just have to keep reminding myself that knowledge is one thing. However, wisdom is a little bit more challenging to obtain. Wisdom comes from using our knowledge to put faith in action, Meaning that four letter word that many of us find hard to swallow (WORK) .

20th Sep, 2008 - 3:49am / Post ID: #

When you say something so deep and can't come up with a sufficient reference because the church itself is not going to start teaching super deep doctrine when members are already struggling with such as basic commandments regarding service and love, so when you say something too deep either no one will respond because they don't believe you or they are just to scared to further the discussion.

If you cannot find a sufficient reference then it is probably because it is more speculation the doctrine. Doctrine is really simple As Jesus says in 3rd Nephi: This is my doctrine faith repentance baptism and the gift of the Holy ghost. (paraphrased.) Perhaps there is a distinction of doctrine and truth. All doctrine is truth but not all truth is doctrine. Besides the church has very little doctrine and theology. As Robert Millet said in his NPR interview last year regarding doctrine/theology and how other churches view our theology, -we are a very young church, so give us a break we have not had the time that other churches have had to get our theology together. (paraphrased again.)

Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2008 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

A Friend

You are right about distinguishing between something that is merely truth and doctrine. In a book: Joseph Smith as a Scientist, by
John A. Widtsoe

"In the life of every person, who receives a higher education, in or out of schools, there is a time when there seem& to be opposition between science and religion; between man-made and God-made knowledge. The struggle for reconciliation between the contending forces is not an easy one. It cuts deep into the soul and usually leaves scars that ache while life endures. There are thousands of young people in the Church to-day, and hundreds of thousands throughout the world, who are struggling to set. . ."

Truth is obtained through ones faith in God and Jesus Christ. Doctrine, however can only be received by the leaders of the Church as directed by it's head Jesus Christ. Doctrine refers to the teachings of the church which will only be further revealed as members of the church as whole become more obedient to the doctrine we have already been given.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Sep, 2008 - 4:38am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Isiah53 @ 19-Sep 08, 10:49 PM)

If you cannot find a sufficient reference then it is probably because it is more speculation the doctrine. Doctrine is really simple As Jesus says in 3rd Nephi: This is my doctrine faith repentance baptism and the gift of the Holy ghost. (paraphrased.) Perhaps there is a distinction of doctrine and truth. All doctrine is truth but not all truth is doctrine.

Very well put. I think many times people assume they are discussing "deep doctrine" when in reality they are just speculating and tossing out their own thoughts and ideas. Nothing wrong with adding our own thoughts just don't try to pass it off as doctrine. To really have a deep doctrinal discussion we have to keep the lines between doctrine and speculation clear. As you said, all doctrine is truth but not all truth is doctrine. Some of the speculation may be truth but that still does not make it doctrine.
One reason why studying deep doctrine sucks is because it is not always so easy to keep the lines clear. Sometimes they get a bit fuzzy without a lot of help from the Spirit.

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2008 - 6:45am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks Mormon Doctrine Studies

What do you do when you see a post that to you has nothing to do in direct relationship to the church? When a post you feel is nothing more than ones owns personal feelings but, you still feel strongly that their is an indirect lesson that can be learned from open communication. So you try to indirectly relate one topic to another you feel strongly about only to have it not posted because it is felt not to be related to previous postings. The point of studying doctrine or truths is to come the knowledge of how Ultimately that all truths being Doctrine or no are linked together. I've came across people's Ideas outside the church that although their ideas might lack the knowledge of the Gospel they are closer to Eternal Truths then they even realize. It just becomes hard to explain ideas related to doctrine when you have nothing more than your own language of ideas to explain what you yearn to further understand concerning truth. Studying anything sucks because it involves accepting not knowing something we really want to know right away instead of going through the step by step process of learning. However, through the process of learning we learn to slow down and appreciate every moment that is given to us to learn, live, and love. I know it sounds corny but I took a very different road in life because I chose to hate learning concerning all things. I choose to only love learning those things that were either easy and/or enjoyable to me. I could not accept that all Truths and Doctrines are linked and that we cannot know either if are not open to both. Truth and Doctrine are Not the same as we have already mentioned, earlier but how do we come to a knowledge of Truth and Doctrine? All Doctrine is Truth but all Truth is not Doctrine.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Why Studying Deep Doctrine Sucks

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,