National Defense Authorization Act

National Defense Authorization Act - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 4th Dec, 2008 - 5:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
USA 20,000 Troops To Deploy...in America? Why?
Post Date: 1st Dec, 2008 - 10:32pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

20,000 troops to deploy...in America?

The story flashed on the Drudge Report today during the program and it caught Glenn's attention. A few weeks ago Glenn had seen some reports that troops were going to be deployed around the country---why would we need 20,000 boots on the ground in America's cities?
Ref. Source 6

Sponsored Links:
2nd Dec, 2008 - 5:12am / Post ID: #

Act Authorization Defense National

That's been coming for awhile, now. But will anyone question it? Nope. Will you even see this in the mainstream media, on TV, on ABC or CNN? Not likely, at least not in the true context of it. "For your protection," is what the government will say. Excuse me? Not likely. Military troops are not about protecting the individuals but enforcing government policy, enforcing the law. Glenn has it right:

I've told you before I'm ready, man. I'm ready to go live in the side of a mountain, you know, and have a farm and raise some cows and, ooof, all the stuff I swore I never wanted to do, I want to do it. I just want to raise my kids and just have a nice life and just lead a normal life. That's what I want to do. I ain't doing it because I know what time we live in. And if you know what time you live in, you've got to do the hard things. And just because of the times we're living in, let me be very clear on what those things are. If you hear any message other than "Be a peacemaker," if you hear any message that leads you in any direction of hatred, you're on the wrong path. It's a new day, gang, and you're about to enter a new world. Yesterday's thoughts I don't believe apply. What you thought your life was going to be like in five years, I really don't believe it applies anymore. That doesn't mean you stop. I'm still planning on all kinds of things for the next few years. I'm still planning on doing these things and that thing. We're working on projects and we're doing everything because you know what? As I said at the beginning, I hope to God that I'm wrong, and with God's grace and with Americans being Americans and Americans really saying, "Okay," without the tragedy, because this tragedy comes, whatever it is, God help us all, it is going to change things in the blink of an eye ...

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 2nd Dec, 2008 - 3:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

National Defense Authorization Act History & Civil Business Politics

That was a very interesting read. I know if something comes to past there are going to be some interesting happenings in this land. They thought the civil war was bad? I think there are more veterans who have seen combat presently in this land than the number of American forces they have available. I believe that many of the troops will not be able to do as they are ordered and come to the side of freedom. I hope that the president or whoever is behind this understands that if they do this then the face of America will change forever.

3rd Dec, 2008 - 10:31am / Post ID: #

Wow, I really dont like it, but it is a catch 22 type situation for the federal government. Look at Hurricane Katrina... Who do we and the media really crucify for the horrible response to the disaster...GWB and the Federal Government. The mayor and the governor of the state pretty much got a pass and actually became somewhat stars for telling the feds to get boots on the ground (much more polite than what was truly asked for by Mayor Nagin...his ineptitude of raising this issue resulted in him getting elected AGAIN!). World Trade Center goes down and who are we looking to for answers as to why we didnt stop it. Well, that would be the Federal Government again. The mayor of NY became a hero for his administrative abilities during the handling and cleanup, but the Federal Government was blasted for not doing things to prevent it. Giuliani didnt get any heat for not stopping it. So, honestly, having to rely on the national guard (which training they are not in charge of) leaves them open to criticism they cannot possibly fix...so I understand why they want a force that they can control. What I dont get is that the National Guard is way bigger than this 20k force and if trained correctly would be a much more nimble group to deal with emergencies of all varieties. The federal government already has basically unfettered use of the states national guards in emergencies. Look at the last couple bits of legislation:

Wikipedia

The Montgomery Amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1987
provides that a governor cannot withhold consent with regard to active duty outside the United States because of any objection to the location, purpose, type, or schedule of such duty. This law was challenged and upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in 1990 in Perpich v. Department of Defense.
The John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007
Federal law was changed in section 1076 so that the Governor of a state is no longer the sole commander in chief of their state's National Guard during emergencies within the state. The President of the United States will now be able to take total control of a state's National Guard units without the governor's consent. In a letter to Congress all 50 governors opposed the increase in power of the president over the National Guard.
The National Defense Authorization Act 2008
Repeals provisions in section 1076 in Pub.L. 109-364 but still enables the President to call up the National Guard of the United States for active federal military service during Congressionally sanctioned national emergency or war. Places the National Guard Bureau directly under the Department of Defense as a joint activity. Promoted the Chief of the National Guard Bureau from a three-star to a four-star general.

Why cant the national guards of each state be trained in the way that this 20k force will be trained? The states cannot say no to the President and Congress. If the concern is that a state will not help support another state in something that might be argued to be less than a national emergency and is more of a state emergency of large proportions, put some sort of a good neighbor clause into the various acts and commit neighboring state's national guards without permission of the governors of that state. There are over 400k national guards in service!

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Post Date: 3rd Dec, 2008 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I can see who acts that need to be taken off the books but I doubt the congress will repeal them. If you give the government a specific power you can rest ashured that it will not give that power up. Just like taxes always go up you never see them going down.

3rd Dec, 2008 - 7:26pm / Post ID: #

It is acts like this that scare me. It gives too much power to the federal government.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Dec, 2008 - 5:58am / Post ID: #

A Friend

It is called Martial Law. It will just keep going and going. I think that it will be more that 20,000 by that time.

Post Date: 4th Dec, 2008 - 5:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

National Defense Authorization Act Politics Business Civil & History

The only thing I see that they would need this for is if something bad is about to happen.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: National Defense Authorization Act

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,