Mormon General Authorities Are Human - Page 2 of 3

I think the reason that the membership appears - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Nov, 2009 - 4:19am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Why some members "worship" General Authorities?
6th Aug, 2009 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

Mormon General Authorities Are Human - Page 2

QUOTE (Wes @ 5-Aug 09, 11:52 PM)
If it's Glenn's comment, we need to go back to his thread.

Please, do not try to direct where the discussion should take place. What you're doing is called splitting hairs. I am not going to create several threads and split each one of your comments. What do you exactly mean by understanding and knowledge? (you haven't explained yet). It seems like you have a unique definition than the general one so I must ask.

All I said is that (and that was on Glenn's thread)GA's are at a higher level of understanding. What's wrong with that? They are. They guide the church!they have a higher level of understanding than Glenn. (That was on Glenn's thread) That is why I said that we couln't compare Glenn's comment with that of a GA.

So first you're stating that General Authorities are at a higher level of understanding. Then you emphasize and underline "than Glen" but then you state:

Or do you feel that you have the same level of understanding, knowledge etc than a GA? I certainly don't, and I doubt very strongly that you do

So now it is about me, you or anyone else?, it's so funny when you do that. Anyhow, speak for yourself Wes, I never made any absolutes as you are doing, I never claimed or will claim that a group of people are "higher" than me or have the "same" or "higher" level of understanding than me, simply because as someone pointed out in another thread none of us is capable to make such judgment or do you?

Rather off topic, but...
You need to read the Art of Discussion located here:
Source 5

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Aug, 2009 - 12:03pm / Post ID: #

Mormon General Authorities Are Human
A Friend

Human Authorities General Mormon

Please, do not try to direct where the discussion should take place.
No, I'm trying to figure out what you're discussing here. Because you are "nick picking" my words and trying to apply them from one thread to the other.
You know, your position is a very common one within the membership
Please don't tell me what my position is in the church, especially when I never stated what you're assuming that I did.
I'm OK with discussing points of view and opinions, but let's stay on track with each topic. Like I said before, some of my posts on Glenn's case don't apply here and viceversa.

6th Aug, 2009 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormon General Authorities Are Human Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (Wes @ 6-Aug 09, 8:03 AM)
Because you are "nick picking" my words and trying to apply them from one thread to the other.

I am not "nit picking" anything. I don't know what is so hard to understand what we are discussing here. Are you going to answer the questions I put in my last post so we can continue the debate or you will become repetitive? If you do not wish to discuss the questions given then refrain from answering, I am not going to keep the whole topic, offtopic so NO need to answer about this. Thanks.

6th Aug, 2009 - 1:54pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Human Authorities General Mormon

I have been observing the kind of 'ping pong' Discussion going on in Threads here, Glenn Beck and Rename the Book of Mormon. The kind of Discussion I abhor. I will chose to make a summary of all here and at the same time bring back to full circle He who is often forgotten in these Topics.

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
I am interested in your thoughts, why is it that some members almost "worship" General Authorities?

Everyone likes to have a 'hero' I guess, a figure that for them emulates something they wish to aspire to. The traditional illusion set up by many Members that callings = spirituality and title = worthiness is a main cause in my opinion of this. For me why even look their way for anything at all other than just the deliverer of a message? When someone from UPS or FedEx brings you something important do you look at the delivery guy with adoration or are you more interested in the message from the sender and then call the sender to thank him. I just see General Authorities as someone called to deliver a message or perform a task. The one who will be greatest among us must be the servant of all.

A Member, who has no 'special' call actually does their home teaching, works at the soup kitchen during the week and really helps their community, will that person be 'recognized' probably not, but the Lord who sees in secret will be reward such a person. Men like to look at outward things, dress, titles, and so forth. This helps men decide what is important and what isn't. Jesus tried to make us aware of how to discern what is important and what is not. Stories like the woman and the mite, the priest that passed the man on the ground, and so forth. Another example was very evidently shown when David of the Old Testament was to be anointed, they thought he looked too 'weak'.

The real hero here is Jesus Christ and it is His message that is important. The thing about Christ's gospel that is not so appealing is He expects us to be doing things that are not so comfortable - visiting the sick, giving charity, helping others in need - things for which you would have to get out there and do something worthwhile, things for which there isn't any big praise, titles or glory given by others. However, its much easier to attend a fireside or watch a video and not do much of anything about it. If there was an announcement for 'x' person coming to talk at a fireside or go do home or visiting teaching the numbers will speak for themselves.

Jesus said to them who wanted to see the Father in order to be satisfied:

QUOTE (John 14:6)
I am the Way the Truth and the Life, no man cometh to the Father but by me.

Look to Christ and Live, Look to Man and Perish.

11th Aug, 2009 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

Human Authorities General Mormon

JB

Look to Christ and Live, Look to Man and Perish

This is an absolute.

But a Prophet, as part of his calling, should do the following.

1. Call the World to repentance.
2. Administer in the affairs of the Kingdom of God to ensure that the three missions of the Church are being fulfilled: Redeem the Dead, Missionary Work, Perfecting the Saints.
3. Hold the Keys given and necessary to a particular dispensation.
4. Serve as a voice of Warning.
5. Testify of Christ's Mission and Divinity.
6. Teach Man to Follow Christ.

All of these duties seem to glorify the Father and his Son, and do not glorify the person who is taking part in it (This seems to be the key whether it be a Prophet or a Home Teacher).

I agree that Prophets should not be an object of worship, but I believe we should support them (as we should any other member of the Church in magnifying his or her calling) in fulfilling the role the Lord has called them to.

My only question is how do we support a Prophet or Apostle in fulfilling his Calling as a speciall witness to Christ?

11th Aug, 2009 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Mormon General Authorities Are Human

QUOTE (Dbackers)
This is an absolute.

Yes, Christ should be the only absolute in one's life, all others are merely pawns in their role.

But a Prophet, as part of his calling, should do the following.

Not sure I understand where you are coming from. This Topic is about the Member looking at the Man (usually those with what is traditionally considered a 'higher' calling) in adoration, not what the responsibilities of a Prophet are.

My only question is how do we support a Prophet or Apostle in fulfilling his Calling as a speciall witness to Christ?

Perhaps a new Topic in the Public section?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Aug, 2009 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

Mormon General Authorities Human - Page 2

Not sure I understand where you are coming from.

I was trying to show(I may not have done a good job at that) that though a prophets calling is important, it not worthy of "worship". All of these duties would indicate that we should not be glorifying the Messengers (prophets and apostles) but rather we should worship and give glory to the man they are Serving (Jesus Christ)

I agree with the statement that we should be putting our focus on the Person of Jesus rather then those who are trying to draw us to him.

4th Nov, 2009 - 4:19am / Post ID: #

Mormon General Authorities Human Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I think the reason that the membership appears to worship the GA at times, is because we can't watch general conference, and see and here Jesus Himself speak ( at this time, but I'd love to live to see the day). But, the Lord said in D&C 1:38

international QUOTE
... Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.
I don't think Jesus is offended at our enthusiasm to here one of His servants speak. That is the order that has been established by Christ Himself. I do believe the Prophet holds all the keys to his position. And, although I don't think he is infallible as a man, I do believe that while acting in the capacity of his calling, and while filled with the Spirit, he is indeed the mouthpiece of The Lord. In my area (Sacramento CA) I haven't observed many(actualy any) people who are in danger of crossing over from respect of the GA to idol worship. The very thought is disturbing.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormon General Authorities Are Human

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,