Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...

Plural Marriage Day Women Shall - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th May, 2003 - 9:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (79) »
Mormon doctrine on polygamy Mormon Doctrine on Plural Marriage - This Thread goes deep into all the angles of Mormon Polygamy, the requirement of Celestial Marriage which once encompassed Plural Marriage and the current standing of it with the modern Church. Also deeply analyzed is Joseph Smith's secret practise of it that latter lead to his death. Controversial Mormon Issue.
Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... Related Information to Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...
19th May, 2003 - 10:15am / Post ID: #

Mormon Doctrine Plural Marriage

international QUOTE
Isaiah 4:1 'And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.'

This is one reference to plural marriage. What do you feel about it? If you are a Sister in the Church it will be particularly interesting to know if you will be able to 'share' your husband.

This is obviously a doctrine of the eternities, it is not something new, so it existed even from the times of the Old Testament. Think about it... It would be lived even today were it not for the problems the Saints were having in the early days of the Church with the US government.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th May, 2003 - 8:23am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Shall Women Day That Marriage Plural

It seems that the practice of plural marriage is brought about in some cases when there is a scarcity of men, the women are still able to be married to a man despite the lack of men available.

In ancient Isreal it was a disgrace to be unmarried and childless, when events such as the devastation of war occurred (where many of the men might of been killed for example) the women are still able to marry and not be alone.

20th May, 2003 - 11:51am / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... Studies Doctrine Mormon

Bell, I am in agreement with this, but we must not forget that it is also a priciple of heaven since in the temple a man can be sealed to more than one woman. if you think about it, we are still practising it in this form. In the next life a man will be with is wife (wives) sealed.

Post Date: 24th May, 2003 - 8:52pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The key concept your missing is that of "The fullness of times" (Not going to pull out the actual scriptural reference, I'm too lazy)- this is mistaken occasionally to mean simply 'the end'. Its doesn't- the fullness of times means something specific: an era in which the "Times" And practices of all men since the creation are revived, for at least a brief period. Think about it: name one thing that hasn't in one form or another been resurrected in the latter days. Slavery, polygamy, every form of government ever imagined by man, if it happened before, its happened again. Indeed, it don't take much insight to see that even now, history seems to latterly be speeding up exponentially (Sp?). Take something even as trivial as fashion: compare the amount of time required for a pase fashion trend to become 'retro' and cool once more 20 years ago, to now. It used to be about 20 years; in the 80's, we saw a 60's 'revival' (laugh.gif, yeah, right). Compare that to now, when (For those of you who watch Mtv) its not at all uncommon to see trendsetters wearing clothes that are markedly and intentional from several different decades at the same time. The point of all of this is that the practice of polygamy was necessary to bring about the fullness of times. Why us? Honestly, who else could have done it, moral, and meaningful? Its not, after all, a harem; the man has all the same obligations, in every sense of the word, to his wife, regardless if he has 1 or 20; polygamy is a running joke among non-members; they seem to think Mormons are just perverts who want a bevy of women to wait on them; personal, in my humble opinion 1 wife is plenty- there's NO way I could handle a half a dozen of them ganging up on me...

EDITED: also, your missing the thrust of the scripture:

international QUOTE
'And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We
Will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be
Called by thy name, to take away our reproach.'

The entire point is that these seven women are on thier own- "We
Will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel"; the only reason they all take the same husband is to avoid the disgrace of being without a husband : "Only let us be
Called by thy name, to take away our reproach". So the above poster is absolutely correct: this is not a true marriage as intended, since a good husband would not expect his wife to provide for herself, this is simply a marriage to apease the society of man. While 'what is bound on earth is bound in heaven' (Meaning if they were sealed in the temple, they would be married in the hearafter), I suspect that the mariages in this reference would be a civil marriage only.

24th May, 2003 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

1 wife is plenty- theres NO way I could handle a half a dozen of them ganging up on me...

True, you are LDS?

The key concept your missing is that of "the fullness of times

I am not sure what you are trying to say here? Eternal principles are eternal... they do not wait on a dispensation, they have existed and will always exist,

Post Date: 24th May, 2003 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

yes.  was inactive from about age 17 to 28 (30 now), and been through 2 divorces in that time; finaly found a keeper though wink.gif  But I know enough about wives to say that if I had 7, the odds are pretty good that I woulnd't last a week... wink.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th May, 2003 - 9:16pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage That Day Women Shall...

But I know enough about wives to say that if I had 7, the odds are pretty good that I woulnd't last a week...

Oh so you are an expert are you? smile.gif

With regards to the subject matter, I understand what you are trying to say in your 'edit' but it is 'one' reference as mentioned that speaks about plural marriage which is something that has long existed.

Offtopic but,
So you are active now then? We have a thread for testimonies, maybe you would like to share yours there.

By the way, get rid of the frog by updating your profile.

Post Date: 24th May, 2003 - 9:18pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Plural Marriage That Day Women Shall... Mormon Doctrine Studies

I think thats where I disagree with you: Im not sold on the notion of polygamy being an eternal principal.  Marriage, of course.   But IMHO the specific mechanics are not eternal; While there is that (one) reference to polygamy, the scriptures show far too great a bias toward monogomy to say that the only reason we don't do it now is that it is against the law.   Even in modern times, when Mormons practiced it was out of neccesity; the family was (and is) the core unit of organization to move the saints across the counrty; so it was imperative that every adult be married, and with a disporpotionately large population of women, it was the only practical way to get from point a to point b.  There are lots of things we can bring up that we 'used to do'.  That doesn't make them right for us now, or make them eternal principals.  Remember, line upon line, precept upon precept.  We're given more knowledge, which raises the bar were expected to meet.  

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (79) »

> TOPIC: Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,