TTSPCA - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE (Sara @ 7-Feb 10, 1:55 PM) I also hope - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 7th Feb, 2010 - 7:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Trinidad & Tobago Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Post Date: 20th Jul, 2009 - 2:09pm / Post ID: #

TTSPCA
A Friend

TTSPCA - Page 2

Well said JB - that's exactly the problem, most of the strays started off life as owned animals that were dumped, or litters that were abandoned on the road. Owners must do the responsible thing and have your pets spayed/neutered. We believe there is no such thing as responsible breeding, and encourage people to adopt from a shelter instead of purchasing a puppy from a breeder or pet shop. If people could se how most breeders look after their dogs/pups they would be horrified. We recently dealt with a case in which a person was breeding Pits and Labs. The cages were so small the dogs could not stand in them, when they were let out from the cages they were attacking each other (including the pups) we are working at the moment with an officer to deal with the situation. Most breeders see their animals as a money making tool, not as a companion, and their view is this, when the dog can no longer breed, it's of no use to them, so they are dumped. We see cases like this on a daily basis. Once again I ask that people do the right thing and spay/neuter, by doing this, not only will you help to control the amount of unwanted litters in T&T, but you will help your animal to lead a longer healthier life.

Sponsored Links:
20th Jul, 2009 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

TTSPCA

That is terrible. Perhaps an 'Animal Police' unit will be worthwhile here as was suggested earlier. Did you ever have a case where you found owners breeding dogs for fights?

27th Jul, 2009 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

TTSPCA Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Collars and dog tags should be mandatory, or maybe it is and I just don't know, yet! Anyway, I believe people in the TSPCA could do more to tell about ill treatment of animals. If they're looking for funding then approach sponsors. I always liked how Bob Barker would say at the end of the Price is Right to make sure and get your pets spade or neutered.

Post Date: 28th Jul, 2009 - 4:05am / Post ID: #

TTSPCA
A Friend

Page 2 TTSPCA

Hi - the laws regarding licencing/tags/collars exist in Trinidad however, as with many laws they are not enforced. The TTSPCA with AWN has recently produced a series of posters showing various aspects of cruelty, as well as info. On Spay/Neuter, fleas ticks, adoptions etc. We try to get on/in TV/Radio/Newspapers to promote Spay/Neuter and we also try to highlight the different cases of cruelty that we come across, but we depend on the media to assist us in educating the public, and with the rise in crime, animal problems tend to take a back seat in the news. The TTSPCA is constantly asking for sponsorship towards our shelter, and thankfully we do get regular donations, but these are still not enough to cover expenses, and; with the down turn in the economy things have become worse. We are a few people, trying to solve a large problem; with limited resources. However, we are in the process of updating our website, and, we have a large facebook following that informs our members of animal rights issues both local and foreign. We are also setting up a blog to give the public a daily insight into what we do.

12th Sep, 2009 - 11:48pm / Post ID: #

TTSPCA

QUOTE (Sara @ 27-Jul 09, 11:05 PM)
Hi - the laws regarding licencing/tags/collars exist in Trinidad however, as with many laws they are not enforced.

I'm not surprised. If it weren't for groups like yours I don't know what would eventually happen with those poor animals.

6th Feb, 2010 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

TTSPCA

Today I saw on TV6 the story of a dog that is tied up at the market in POS. He has been there for DAYS, the poor dog is in a terrible condition. Hungry, thirsty and hurt. Where the heck is the Trinidad & Tobago Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals? Why are they moving (or not moving at all) to do something about this as quickly as they can? If this was the US, with only ONE phone call, that dog would be retrieved within the day. According to TV6 news, calls made to the Trinidad & Tobago Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals went unanswered.

As a citizen of this country, I would like to know EXACTLY when they plan to help this dog. Thanks.

Reconcile Edited: TriniSpanish on 6th Feb, 2010 - 11:37pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Feb, 2010 - 6:55pm / Post ID: #

TTSPCA
A Friend

TTSPCA - Page 2

In reply to your statement made re. The dog tied outside the Central Market "for days" on TV 6.

I heard about the report after it aired on TV6 (7'O'clock news), I called the Shelter Manager to ask if they had received any calls about the case, they had not, I then called Animal Welfare Network to see if they had also got any calls on their answering machine, they had not. Later that night (9pm) I received a phone call from Mr. Pierre, the reporter of the story, he told about the case (I had told him that I had heard about it) and he gave me the details about the dog and the area where it was seen. I asked him about the fact that it was reported that calls were made to both orgs. Yet we had no report of any call being made, he told me he called the TTSPCA on Saturday (once) after 1pm (the shelter closes at one). I (Sara Maynard - Operations Manager TTSPCA) then with the help of the TTSPCA President (Sita Kuruvilla) went to Abattoir Rd. Next to the POS Corp. (by Sealots) outside of the Central Market at 9.30pm (we were lucky, and thankful that the Traffic Branch Police in the area came with us, as the area is not the safest one, they just shot at a police car there) we spent over 2 hours looking for the dog in various areas, from the John John Pan yard to, the Market, to a "crack alley" literally, to driving and walking along the roads and side streets. We left at 11.15pm. After talking to people in the area, it is believed that the dog belongs to a security firm that guards a building in the area, and it is their practise to tie animals inside and outside of the compound (I will be contacting the firm to have a serious talk about this practise, and will inform them about the Summary Offences act). I also tried to contact the reporter to let him know what had been done about the report (I had not reply). I hope this answers your statement/questions, and I also hope that before you know all of the facts, you will not be so hasty to judge the TTSPCA on what you feel is it's lack of action re. Reported cases. We do the best we can, with limited resources (unlike the US ASPCA or other orgs.). - Sara

7th Feb, 2010 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

TTSPCA Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

international QUOTE (Sara @ 7-Feb 10, 1:55 PM)
I also hope that before you know all of the facts, you will not be so hasty to judge the TTSPCA on what you feel is it's lack of action re. Reported cases. We do the best we can, with limited resources (unlike the US ASPCA or other orgs.).

I don't think I was hasty to judge the TTSPCA. My experience with your organization have been less than desirable. However I have no reason to doubt your efforts although it is sad to know the dog still out there somewhere suffering in the hands of these people. I do not know how a serious talk with these folks will do anything to be honest, it is almost like a slap on their wrists for what they have done to that poor dog.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: TTSPCA

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,