Old Testament Miracles Now?

Old Testament Miracles Now - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Aug, 2010 - 12:44am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
4th Sep, 2009 - 5:28pm / Post ID: #

One of my teachers said that we do not have the kind of miracles you read about in the Old Testament because people are more faithful now and do not need to see fire from heaven or water from rocks. Is that the real reason though? It seems like the New Testament did not have such big miraculous events either except maybe for the pentecost. The Book of Mormon had the visitation of Christ but nothing like the Old Testament either. Makes you wonder if the translation exaggerates what happened.

Sponsored Links:
4th Sep, 2009 - 11:29pm / Post ID: #

Now Miracles Testament Old

That is an interesting way to look at it, but I tend to disagree. Faith does not come from miracles. Miracles come from faith.

I must assume that you are talking about such things as the parting of the Red Sea, Samson's great strength, etc. I am reminded of Lehi's journey through the desert, his family's journey to the New World, and the great destruction at the time of Christ's death and resurrection all discussed in the Book of Mormon.

More than that, we have the stories of the Three Nephites walking out of collapsed buildings, surviving burial and wild beasts, and many other things. Likewise, there is the story of Nephi restoring his brother Lehi to life in 3rd Nephi.

In more modern times, we have President Lorenzo Snow, who restored a young girl to life, Brigham Young leading a great exodus of saints from Illinois to Utah, and the settling of the Rocky Mountains, all with tremendous miracles reported.

Better yet, we have the mighty miracles that occurred when the Kirtland Temple was dedicated, which many reports make appear to be far greater than Pentecost.

As President Kimball was fond of saying, and wrote a book about, "faith precedes the miracle." We don't experience the mighty miracles, because we lack the faith, or we have faith in the wrong things.

I expect that those who go through the coming tribulations will see many mighty miracles in order to survive. But that will be because they have the faith to let the Lord fight their battles, rather than try to tell Him how to do it.

6th Sep, 2009 - 1:16am / Post ID: #

Old Testament Miracles Now? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Maybe G-d think this generation doesnt deserve it and judging by how the world is I'm not surprised you know what am I saying?

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2009 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

One thing to think about as well is that whenever there is a great miracle, there is also a great need for it as well. I think of Moses smiting the rock and water coming out. With modern technology, urbanization and transportation, we just don't need these miracles. I don't believe that these miracles will happen solely to build faith and give us the "wow" factor.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2010 - 10:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

One verse stands out starkly to me.

international QUOTE (D&C 29:13)
"For a trump shall sound both long and loud, even as upon Mount Sinai, and all the earth shall quake, and they shall come forth-yea, even the dead which died in me, to receive a crown of righteousness, and to be clothed upon, even as I am, to be with me, that we may be one."

Here it shows that we will have some of the "miracles" that were in the Exodus. Although when they happen we may long for the day when the earth didn't shake so much. There are many descriptions of what is to be in the last days in the book of Revelations that are very similar to the verbiage in Exodus, interesting huh?

Also, in a not to distant event we will have one of the greatest miracles of all to have many of the graves opened up and many be resurrected.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. The Source of your Quote should also be provided. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

20th Apr, 2010 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

By the time those kinds of miracles happen Christ will already be here and no one will be looking at the ground but up at the sky.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 3rd Aug, 2010 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Old Testament Miracles Now

My gospel doctrine teacher said the same thing, that we don't need big miracles anymore because we have more faith, and that that's why they were called the Children of Israel, because they needed miracles to keep them going. I almost fell out of my chair! How can we sit back & think we're better than them & that we don't need miracles because we have the technology of man, or that we're so good that we don't need them? This is one of the reasons why the general authorities try so hard to get the members to read the Book of Mormon. The answer is in there & is very clear.

international QUOTE
Moroni 7:35-39
35 And now, my beloved brethren, if this be the case that these things are true which I have spoken unto you, and God will show unto you, with power and great glory at the last day, that they are true, and if they are true has the day of miracles ceased?
36 Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?
37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.
38 For no man can be saved, according to the words of Christ, save they shall have faith in his name; wherefore, if these things have ceased, then has faith ceased also; and awful is the state of man, for they are as though there had been no redemption made.
39 But behold, my beloved brethren, I judge better things of you, for I judge that ye have faith in Christ because of your meekness; for if ye have not faith in him then ye are not fit to be numbered among the people of his church.

international QUOTE
Mormon 9:19-21
19 And if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles.
20 And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust.
21 Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth.

When we begin to see a lack of miracles in our lives & in our wards, I think it's time we rethink how much effort & faith we really put into the gospel, and become as little children & believe. The miracles that occurred in the past were only of type of the great things we have in store for the future. The miracles that precede the Second Coming will be the greatest ever, and it's up to us if we have the faith to participate in these things or not.

5th Aug, 2010 - 12:44am / Post ID: #

Old Testament Miracles Now Mormon Doctrine Studies

Then you are saying is that as a whole the membership of the Church has become faithless? Using the same argument the Children of Israel were a faithless bunch but got many miracles. When they were faithful they still got many miracles. Moses type miracles or even Jesus type miracles are not seen like that at least not around me I must be one of the faithless ones. When people talk about a miracle these days its more about something that could have happened via circumstance or something small. A miracle for me is something indisputably out of the bounds of logic or understanding like parting the Red Sea or making water come from just striking a rock. Even better than those making a lame man to walk. A lot of churches are brave enough to show this off and we say they don't have the authority of the priesthood and we claim to have it and hide it.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Old Testament Miracles Now?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,