Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombs - Page 2 of 9

I am actually writing a paper on this topic - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 1st May, 2005 - 2:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »
Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombs Related Information to Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombs
Post Date: 21st Apr, 2003 - 11:28am / Post ID: #

Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombs
A Friend

Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombs - Page 2

Harry Truman was the President then.
When Kennedy assumed?
What do you mean? Assumed office?
We were already in Viet Nam when he assumed office, acting as "advisors".

Sponsored Links:
21st Apr, 2003 - 1:15pm / Post ID: #

Bombs Nagasaki Hiroshima

Sorry Stranger but I have a mess in my head in US history at this time. So was Truman who sent the bombs there?. Was he a democrat?.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 21st Apr, 2003 - 3:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombs History & Civil Business Politics

Probably Republican like the Bushes. wink.gif  Bomb them till they give up.

But I can understand the use of Little Boy and Fat Man (?). As Stranger has explained, it really helped shortened WW2, otherwise who knows what the modern world will be like. And the Japanese could probably have reverse engineered an atomic bomb of their own too if given enough time.

Btw, that was Truman? What happened to Wilson?

21st Apr, 2003 - 3:59pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Bombs Nagasaki Hiroshima

Listen guys, all the analytical part of the 'benefits' of these two bombs seem creepy to me. Whether the war war II was going to extend or not, it's cannot be a justification for the horror that the USA put through to the people in Japan. sad.gif

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 21st Apr, 2003 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bombs Nagasaki Hiroshima

Oddly enough, Truman was a Democrat. He took office in '45 after Roosevelt died in office.
Wilson was before him (late teens early 20s)
LDS,
The horror we put the Japanese through?
Who bombed Pearl Harbor?

21st Apr, 2003 - 7:41pm / Post ID: #

LDS,
The horror we put the Japanese through?
Who bombed Pearl Harbor?

I knew you would say. Of course, Japan. BUT my point here is that even that is not a justification for the bombs. What Japan did to Pearl Harbor was terrible!, I know but let me tell you something without hoping to not offend nobody by just saying 'numbers' when in fact were 'lives'. In Pearl Harbor 2,400 people died and mostly were military personnel. What about the bombs? They killed 103,000 innocent people mostly!. I know it's not a matter of numbers since I deeply believe that each live doesn't have a value. What I'm saying is that Japan did a horrible thing to the USA and at the same USA did a horrible thing to the people in Japan.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Apr, 2005 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hiroshima Nagasaki Bombs - Page 2

One thing about Hiroshima and Nagasaki... After those two were dropped, nobody ever used one again on a target. It scared everybody.

It is interesting to note that less damage was done to these two cities than were done by the continuous massive bombing of targets over Japan and Germany... like Dresden and other cities. More folks died in the Dresden fire bomb raid than did at Hiroshima.

War is a hard and ugly thing. The US could have prolonged the WWII against Japan by not dropping those two bombs, but it is safe to say that the 3 to 1 ratio of losses and the Japanese heart to fight to the end would have cost an estimated million American lives and a couple of million more in Japanese lives. What they had waiting for us was a big surprise to the US military who realized how much they underestimated the advanced aircraft and guided bombs that were waiting in caves for the US fleet to show.

The Japanese mind was devestated by these bombs. Incomprehensible which caused a quick surrender.

I won't be popular here but I believe Truman was right in his decision to call a quick end with these two bombs.

Post Date: 1st May, 2005 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hiroshima Nagasaki Bombs Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

I am actually writing a paper on this topic for my "Morality of War" class. My thesis is that it is wrong to use nuclear weapons either in war or as a deterrent. Here is one of the highlights from it.
When President Herbert Hoover saw exactly how much destruction those two bombs wrought it led him to say "The use of the atomic bomb, with its indiscriminate killing of women and children, revolts my soul."
There are rules in war and the use of nuclear weapons break those rules. What the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor was a pre-emptive strike against a military target, but what the US did was a deliberate strike against civilians. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were of little import militarily that is why they were bombed so late in the war. Furthermore, what military targets were there were on the outskirts of the cities, but it was the heart of these cities that were bombed. The civilians were the targets.
Also, I believe that the Japanese were willing to surrender. They were clearly beaten at this time. The problem was that the US was bent upon unconditional surrender and the removal of their emperor. I believe that were it not for this unfortunate fact that the dropping of those bombs could have been avoided. This is however impossible to prove so the best anyone can do is look into it themselves and formulate their own opinion.
Something else to look into would be what is called the "Doctrine of Double Effect" These are the rules of war that I alluded to earlier that state when it is OK, morally, to kill non-combatants.
-Unferth

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombs

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,