Texting Helps Pupils To Spell

Texting Helps Pupils Spell - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 20th Mar, 2011 - 11:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2010 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Texting 'helps pupils to spell'

Children who use the abbreviated language of text messages are actually improving their ability to spell, researchers say. Ref. Source 3

Sponsored Links:
29th Jan, 2010 - 4:04am / Post ID: #

Spell Pupils Helps Texting

This is very surprising to me, because I had thought that "txt msg" language was corrupting how kids use the written word. The article states:

Attached Image QUOTE
Researchers say text language uses word play and requires an awareness of how sounds relate to written English.
That makes a lot of sense, actually. I will be very interested to find out if this continues past age 12.

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2010 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Texting Helps Pupils To Spell UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I am not buying it. I think that it is going to make writing worse as the kids get older. Yeah it may help younger children use word association but I think as they get into high school spelling skills will go way down.

Post Date: 7th Mar, 2011 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Text lingo appearing in schoolwork

Teachers in Vancouver, Washington say they're seeing more texting lingo such as OMG and lol appear in students' school work. Ref. Source 9

20th Mar, 2011 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

This is something I've been interested in since posting about it a year ago. I have since come to disbelieve the original idea of texting helping kids in some way to spell better. It's not true, and this last news article is right on. I take college classes with kids right out of high school, and it's very disheartening how many of them can't string a proper sentence together. Even some more mature students use texting lingo simply because it's simpler and faster. I recently read a facebook debate between a couple of middle school kids where one was bemoaning the fact that texting slang is working it's way into spoken coversations: his friends actually say things like "jk" (for just kidding) and "l.o.l." (instead of laughing). The other kid was advocating texting slang and abbreviations as the normal evolutionary course of the English language, saying that no one speaks English like Shakespeare anymore. It's definitely going to change how communication goes forward -- and not for the better.

Post Date: 20th Mar, 2011 - 11:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I agree with you very much Farseer. I think that the written word is getting more and more obsolete. I think that kids no longer know how to spell and they are not even learning how to write in elementary. Everyone just prints now.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

Comment Add Comment As A Guest
Important Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

# Characters:
# Words:
# Sentences:
# Paragraphs:
Reading Time:
Optional:
Search

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Texting Helps Pupils To Spell

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,