Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 11 of 16

Several times guys got angry when I did not - Page 11 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 9th Dec, 2006 - 1:27am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: [Added 24 March, 2006]: What do you think about the level of Sexual Harrasment in T&T...
  It is ridiculous, tougher laws are needed       60.00%
  It is really bad, but is now an 'acceptable' culture       26.67%
  It is bad, but I live with it       0.00%
  I really have not thought about it       13.33%
  I am guilty of this and need to change       0.00%
  I am guilty of this and will not change       0.00%
Total Votes: 15
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Why do women in Trinidad & Tobago have to be disrespected and persecuted? If you are fed up of it come let us know!
25th Oct, 2006 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago - Page 11

Some of the looks you get from men are quite disturbing, you can see them undressing you with their eyes, but what really really gets to me is when they start shouting out things like 'darlin', 'sweets', 'beatiful' from across the street. If I avoid the streets it doesn't seem to be as bad, going in the malls I do not get this, I mean I get the stares, but not sweet talk.

25th Oct, 2006 - 5:49pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

but what really really gets to me is when they start shouting out things like 'darlin', 'sweets', 'beatiful' from across the street

That one is the most embarrassing because everybody else walking down the street will stop to actually see who are they talking to.

If I avoid the streets it doesn't seem to be as bad,

That's so true but when you don't have a car, there is not much choice. If I would have a car, I would be driving to my destination get into the car and so on.

going in the malls I do not get this, I mean I get the stares, but not sweet talk.

True, but even the stares at the mall are not as obvious as in the streets. The sweet-talk is annoying for the simple fact that they think you like it! *shaking head*

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2006 - 12:24am / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I think every single woman in Trinidad has been "hailed out" on the street at least once. I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me, because it does. But it's part of the culture here now, and it's come to be "acceptable behaviour". I personally act like I don't hear it and just keep walking.

If someone says, "Good morning," that's fine. That's being polite, and I appreciate politeness. But when people start with all the "lyrics"...especially from across the road or something like that...that's when I start to grit my teeth. Some of the sexual innuendo makes even a placid person like myself want to turn around and ask them if they were raised by wolves! Why do you feel the need to comment on the fit of my jeans? I certainly don't comment on yours.

And Trinidadian women, being confident, social beings by nature, don't need Trinidadian men to tell them they're looking "hot", because believe me, chances are that they already know that. smile.gif

9th Dec, 2006 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

Page 11 Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

QUOTE (Random)
If someone says, "Good morning," that's fine. That's being polite, and I appreciate politeness.

Not all of them say "Good Morning" with a mind to politeness though, in fact I have heard some say "Mornin'" and when they do not get a reply from the woman that passes they reply with obscenities. I believe if woman is on the street you just leave her be, if someone is entering a room with others then salutations are okay, but on the street it is mind your business.

Rather off topic, but...
Random: You have mentioned several times being a local white in other Threads. I would be interested to see your avatar, as many have referred to themselves as "white" in the past, but would not pass for such in Europe, maybe just here.

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2006 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Harassment Sexual

Rather off topic, but...
JB: I'll be happy to upload an avatar when I get enough points to do so. By descent I'm Portuguese and Dutch, and as far as we know I'm not mixed with anything except varying shades of Caucasian. So I'd probably be considered white in Europe as well.

And yes, the times when you actually hear a polite greeting of "good morning" are few and far between. Usually, "mornin" is followed by a comment no woman would appreciate hearing from a stranger - or from anyone. Sexual harassment is a gigantic problem in Trinidad, and while I know there are women who enjoy the attention, I'm not one of them.

I believe if woman is on the street you just leave her be, if someone is entering a room with others then salutations are okay, but on the street it is mind your business.

I agree completely. I wish more men would think this way!

9th Dec, 2006 - 1:07am / Post ID: #

Rather off topic, but...
You have enough points, you need to proceed to the Forum Shop and buy the Avatar option. If you are not sure how go to your Intro Thread and ask for tips / help, or join me in the Chat room.

Random, I believe that is the key there, the men here think (with pun inserted: not think or think with something other than brain, maybe membrane) that women want to hear these things. I actually feel angry with the women that DO respond to this, and smile back. I believe they are the ones who make it bad for the others.

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2006 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago - Page 11

Rather off topic, but...
Ah yes, I just noticed that I had enough points. I've recently discovered the wonders of file resizing, so I'll probably change it later, but here we are.

It all comes back to breeding and manners, I think. If men would be raised not to feel free to comment on women's physical attractiveness in such a distasteful and offensive manner, and if only women would be taught that these comments do not validate them and that they should not cherish such attention. If a man "soots" me in the middle of the road, I don't feel better about myself. I merely feel awkward.

I actually feel angry with the women that DO respond to this, and smile back.

As do I. It's always a few that makes things terrible for the rest. Nobody seems to have any "broughtupcy" in this place!

9th Dec, 2006 - 1:27am / Post ID: #

Sexual Harassment Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 11

Several times guys got angry when I did not reply and not only they cussed me but said things like "Oh you think you are hot" :rolleyes.gif: The "Good Morning" thing is just a trick they use, I don't fall for that. Sometimes if I am in a bad mood, I tell them something. What it does get my nerves is when they tell you things when you have a baby in your arms or even pregnant! (Yep!, it happened to me!)

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 9th Dec, 2006 - 1:28am

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,