Crime T - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 13th Aug, 2017 - 12:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Crime in Trinidad and Tobago
Post Date: 21st Oct, 2003 - 12:11pm / Post ID: #

Crime in T&T
A Friend

Crime in T&T

Why Are Some People In Denial Of Crime?

Why doesn't anyone in T&T see that the problem with crime there is the corrupt police force? The crime plan should start with a brand new force from top to bottom, not just a new squad with the same old crooks.

Sponsored Links:
21st Oct, 2003 - 1:00pm / Post ID: #

TampT Crime

Why de hell nobody cyar see dat de problem wit crime in TnT is de corupt police force. The crime plan should start wit a brand new force from top to bottom, not just a new squad with de same old crooks.

I don't agree with you. The police may be corrupt but is not the real reason for the high crime situation in Trinidad....poverty and crime are going hand to hand in this country, until the government don't take a serious stand on poverty, the crime situation will be worst.  Now they are going to pay $500,000 to Giulanni for coming to Trinidad to talk about this situation....what a waste of money!!!! they have no clue whatsoever in what's the solution for this problem.

Post Date: 21st Oct, 2003 - 1:21pm / Post ID: #

Crime in T&T
A Friend

Crime in T&T Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Your comment rightfully addresses the root cause of crime in our society but once the crime is committed, how can we police it properly if the police and high ranking members of society are themselves involved in one way or another? Can you explain that these same poor people are responsible for bringing in all the drugs and guns on the streets. They are just the pawns in the game.

21st Oct, 2003 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

TampT Crime

Your comment rightfully addresses the root cause of crime in our society but once the crime is committed, how can we police it properly if the police and high ranking members of society are themselves involved in one way or another?

I don't think it would be a fair statement to say that the police in general are involved in crime...some they sure do...I think t he problem with the police is not so much their involvment with crime but rather their lack of training and education...how many 0 levels are needed to become a police officer? how many 'serious' training the police officers get here in Trinidad?. That's the key.

Can you explain that these same poor people are responsible for bringing in all the drugs and guns on the streets. They are just the pawns in the game.

I understand what you mean and I agree to a certain extent but like I said before if the people would have more opportunities to educate themselves and leave the circle of vice, drugs and alcohol they have known all their lives, the story would be different. The difference between the poor person commiting a crime and the rich one is that the rich one never gets caught because he's smart and powerful and use the poor guy to commit the crime....but if the poor guy would know that he is smart and worth of an education and a proper living, the whole story would be different but until we don't train parents to be 'parents' (how can I call 'parent' to someone who allows their 14 years old son/daughter to be out in the streets at 2:00am!) then nothing will change. The mentality of the whole population must change, the attitute of 'whatever' must change, maybe we ask too much for such a small island...but I think Trinidad could so much better but it's a change that start with the mentality of the people not really with the police officers. It starts with the small guy on the street burning CD'S and selling them or the video stores renting burn copies of movies (and yes, and the people who buys that stuff!)...that's a crime too! whether can be compared or not with a bigger crime is another story...Trinidadians want that the crime stops...then they need to stop getting involved with it in small ways every day.

Post Date: 13th Aug, 2017 - 12:30pm / Post ID: #

TampT Crime

Name: George

Title: Crime and the Economy

Comments: I have often wondered why serious crime in Trinidad seems to be uncontrollable and so persistence despite the fact that on this island with a land mass of 60miles by 40 miles and about 7000 policemen there have been no progress in stemming the flow of such crime. Now the answer seems to be quite clear reading the article on the IDB study which has appeared in today's Express. The following is an extract from the article:-

international QUOTE
'Economist Amos Peters, who authored the study, used different methods to calculate the size of T&T's informal economy and concluded it ranges between 26 and 33 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP). T&T's GDP, according to the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago's latest Monetary Policy Report released July 21, is $154 billion. In layman's terms, this means the informal economy, which includes illegal money, under-the-table employment, street vending, narcotics, guns and prostitution, could be moving just over $50 billion'.

This to some extent supports my personal view that crime is a money spinner on the island and no real or serious attempt is being made to halt its expansion.

> TOPIC: Crime in T&T

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,