Home Schooling - Page 2 of 7

I would love to home school and have my son - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 18th Aug, 2006 - 2:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »

?
Poll: Do you think home schooling is better than public schooling?
  Yes       60.00%
  No       10.00%
  Sometimes       30.00%
Total Votes: 10
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Homeschooling - Homeschool - Home School - Unschool - Unschooling. Do children miss out from social interaction when you home school? Some parents say they are protecting their children from what is being highlighted in public schools, but can that also be over protection? Where are the best places to get a curriculum for home schooling? Place your thoughts now.
Home Schooling Related Information to Home Schooling
13th Jul, 2003 - 2:23am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling - Page 2

Felipe loves to say over and over the shapes, the alphabet but sometimes because of his hyperactivity he's just too lazy to sit down and let mommy teach him, he rather jump, laugh and play hide and see lol. I tried to read him several times, he just don't want to stay still...he's like he has ants on his pants  lol

LOL  how cute!  Oh, my goodness it brings back memories!!  He sounds like he's so happy!

The "playing" is the learning!  He doesn't have to be sitting still to learn.   And for this age, he's really too young to just sit and listen.  

A game my sister did with her boys was to make cards of different things -- depending on what they were learning at the time, like letters or numbers or shapes or whatever.  Then she would put a paperclip or something small and metallic on the top of the cards and put them all in a big bucket or bin.  Then she would put a magnet on a string attached to a stick, like a fishing pole.  The boys would "fish" for cards in the bucket and have to say the letter or color or shape, or when they got older to read the word or add the numbers, you see?

So for your little one, you could put in all different kinds of cards, mix the letters with colors, the numbers with shapes.  He would have so much fun!  And learning while playing.

Since he enjoys music so much, find songs that teach things in a fun way, like the one everyone knows about the ABC's...  

Try to teach him in a style that suits *his style of learning* rather than trying to make him fit into a certain style of teaching.

Pray for guidance and inspiration!  (and always for patience!)

(I hope I don't sound too much like a "know-it-all" !!)

Roz

Sponsored Links:
13th Jul, 2003 - 3:24pm / Post ID: #

Schooling Home

Ohhh no, you don't sound like a know-it- all!!!! I really appreciate SOOOO MUCH any guidance I can get for raising my spirited child! Thank you for all your great ideas, I will make those cards and see how it works for him. Yes, he's very physical, he learns better when we go and lay down in the porch and I show him pictures and he repeat the names over and over or watching Sesame Street (he learned all the alphabet from there), I know he's very smart, I look forward to see how wil be like when he speaks properly (I bet he will be like the mother, non-stop speaker) lol

14th Jul, 2003 - 11:40pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I know he's very smart, I look forward to see how wil be like when he speaks properly (I bet he will be like the mother, non-stop speaker) lol

Very *smart* like his mother!!  Which may be part of the reason he's so very active.  I know it was a cause for concern when my son was in school, he was bored a lot because the teachers would have to go slower than he wanted them to, in order to accomodate other kids.  And when he was bored, he'd try to liven things up by causing a little trouble here and there smile.gif  Nothing really bad, just annoying to the teacher.

Your son certainly has some of the characteristics of great intelligence.  How exciting!!  And yes, I know, it's also a challenge and can be difficult.  Just hang in there.  He will blossom!

Roz

25th Oct, 2003 - 10:41am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Schooling Home

Updating about Felipe's progress....I started homeschooling him, I gave up looking for a proper pre-school that meets the normal standards of education and hygiene. I don't know if it's common here or what but it is SO hard to find a proper pre-school, most of them the teachers are NOT qualify as such and in others the premises are very dangerous for children (last one I saw a couple of day ago, had a washer machine and dryer on the back of the place where the children play with access to the wires and stuff and almost next to it they have like a big sink for the kids to wash their hands, can you imagine a kid with wet hands going to touch the machines...oh my goodness...) the bathroom was not even clean properly!. I know I may sound picky but I'm not, I'm just looking for a normal place! but around here I cannot find none sad.gif
Anyhow, I started homeschooling Felipe and I divided the day from 8-4. We have a  Language Class, a Math Class, an Art Class, a Music Class and an Physical Exercise class. So far, he is really enjoying it. He loves the art class the most wink.gif he loves to draw and stick papers together and then he loves to show daddy his work to see daddy's surprised face...smile.gif is soo cute....
I'm a bit sad that when I start working I may not be able to do it...but I have a plan wink.gif since I will be hopefully working soon as a Secondary School Teacher, I will be out of school at 4:00....maybe after work, I can re-schedule to be able to do it. I really do not want to send him to any school that I don't feel comfortable with, but once I start working, I don't see another option sad.gif

26th Oct, 2003 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

Schooling Home

LDS_Forever said

I know I may sound picky but I'm not, I'm just looking for a normal place! but around here I cannot find none

You are supposed to be picky!  It's our job as mothers to make sure our children are protected and cared for.

I'm just so sorry you can't find a place that is adequate.  I know how hard it was for me to find a place for my daughter around here.  Now she's in public school, so I don't really have a choice.  But the school she's going to is brand new -- they just finished the inside of the building a week before school started -- and right around the corner from our home.

I hope you are able to find a place to care for Felipe before you start work.  It can really interfere with what you are trying to do if you are preoccupied with what's happening at his preschool.  I can't concentrate on work at all if I'm worried about my daughter being unsafe!

Is this really something you have to do?  You will be in my thoughts and prayers...

Roz

26th Oct, 2003 - 12:50am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling

Is this really something you have to do?

You mean, work? Yes, I need it. I would love to stay home with him but I need to get a job, therefore, he has to go to a pre-school sad.gif but definetly I will make sure before hand to send him to one that I feel comfortable with. Thanks for your prayers...smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Aug, 2006 - 4:31pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling - Page 2

I was just discussing this topic with my eldest Son yesterday, and whilst home schooling, I don't think is appropriate for my 2 youngest children, with them having special needs, I have heard plenty of good cases where home schooling has worked out well.

I must say though, that I have never heard of it in people who are not Christians, I am sure there are plenty out there, but I haven't heard of any. The main reason that home schooling sounds appealing for Christians, is the fact that you don't have to teach your kids 'the big bang theory', but instead can actually teach them from a Biblical prospective.

My eldest Son has just been away with a family who home teach, and he was saying that their Mom makes them their own school uniform, class times are held the same as other schools, but one of the little girls who is 9, is at A level standard (which is the equivalent to a 16-17 year old) in the subject of physics.

I think this is due to being on a 'one-to-one basis', as opposed to having 20+ other kids all in the same class.

Post Date: 18th Aug, 2006 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling
A Friend

Home Schooling Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

I would love to home school and have my son enrolled into school activites for after school so he can still get the 'peer' interaction but then he would be able to learn and be 'self reliant' I would know he wouldn't slip through the cracks as they can in school now a days. (there are just so many children and not many teachers, not an excuse but an understanding) and well another reason, at least I know where he would be and isn't skipping school. tongue.gif Of course though, I still have another year or so before I have to truly decide and see if I could afford it.
Take care and good luck to all.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Home Schooling

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,