When is a bean not a bean?

When Bean Bean - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 3rd May, 2006 - 6:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 12th Nov, 2003 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

can anyone help me?
My teenagers hate beans of all kinds. It wasn't a problem until a few months ago when a very 'kind' relative gave me approximately 30 cans of beans (harricot, butter, red kidney, cannellini, black eye) to add to my store cupboard. I'm a big believer in eating what you store & storing what you eat but at the moment I'm trying to 'forget' about the beans.
I've tried to find recipies that will let me use the beans in such a way that my kids won't realize what they are eating, but I only find the same boring casseroles, etc.
I need some interesting recipies that disguise beans.
If a bean still looks like a bean my kids won't eat it.
HELP!  :sc

Sponsored Links:
14th Nov, 2003 - 12:29am / Post ID: #

bean not bean is When

UK, oh gosh. Kids can be trouble. I have a 3 years old son who LOVES beans and peas and can eat them all day long :smile.gif
What about chili? they like it?. My son loves it and I know kids in general like it.
What about burritos? you can make your own refried beans or buy them at the store. Kids love mexican food in general. Let me know about this two and if they don't like it, I will find some recipes for you. smile.gif

Post Date: 14th Nov, 2003 - 6:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

When is a bean not a bean? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Hi lds_
my kids love chilli as long as there are no beans in it. If I do put beans in it my two oldest kids will eat the rest of the chilli but not the beans, but my youngest won't eat it at all if he can see any beans in it. He just sits & looks at it as though I've just attempted to poison him.

If you could find any recipies that disguise beans that would be great.

thanx. smile.gif

14th Nov, 2003 - 3:20pm / Post ID: #

bean not bean is When

CHEESE SOUFFLE  (Serves 4)

Ingredients:

1 x 410 g tin baked beans in tomato sauce

100 ml oatbran ( just under � cup)

250 ml fresh bread crumbs (2 slices bread) (70g fresh bread)

3 eggs, using 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites

100 ml skim milk

2ml crushed garlic

5 ml mixed herbs, dried (1 teaspoon)

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

60g Mozarella low fat cheese, grated (2 matchboxes)

30g low fat cheddar cheese, grated (1 matchbox)

2 sprigs parsley, finely chopped (about � cup)

# Preheat the oven to 180 C
# Mash the beans with a fork or process in a food processor or liquidizer.
# Beat together the beans, oatbran, fresh breadcrumbs, egg yolks, milk, crushed garlic and herbs until fairly smooth.
# Season with salt and pepper.
# Mix the grated cheeses and parsley and fold two thirds of the cheeses into the souffle mix.
# Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold under bean mixture gently.
# Pour into a greased ovenproof souffle dish (16cm diameter) and bake for 30 minutes.
# Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese and parsley and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
# Serve immediately with a large tossed salad.

This is the ultimate way to disguise baked beans ! If you don't tell anybody, no one will even guess that the souffle contains baked beans.
An easy souffle to make that does not collapse when taken out of the oven.

WILD WEST PIZZA

2 ounces ham, cut into 3-inch strips (thinly sliced lunch meat works well)
1 can (15 ounces) or 1 ½ cup cooked, rinsed and drained light red kidney beans or pinto beans
2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
1 cup sliced green onions
3 cups chopped red or green bell peppers
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4-6 ounces (about 1-1 ½ cups) pepper jack or mozzarella cheese, grated
4 pita breads
1 medium tomatoes, chopped

Spray small skillet with cooking spray. Cook ham over medium heat until crisp, 2-3 minutes. Coarsely mash beans in bowl; stir in corn, onion, bell pepper, oregano and half of the grated cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread mixture evenly onto pita breads, layer with ham and tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake pizzas on cookie sheet at 400 degrees until hot (about 10 minutes). Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake until cheese melts (about 2-3 minutes). 4 servings.

Let me know if these recipes can help you smile.gif. If the beans are mashed and stuffed in another dish like this first recipe, then your kids will not even notice they're eating it if you put lots of cheese wink.gif the same with the pizza.
Burritos are also great, you get the can of refried beans that already are mashed and some flour tortillas or tacos and they will love it and they will not even see the beans smile.gif Hope it helps wink.gif

Post Date: 14th Nov, 2003 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

bean not bean is When

Thanx for the recipies, I can't wait to try them. I hope my kids will eat them.  :yum                            You've  'bean' a great help!  :D

3rd May, 2006 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

I have sometimes when my kids were toddlers, liquidized different beans, and used them to thicken up gravy.
This way the kids don't know there are any beans in it, and the beauty of this is, you don't just have to limit it to beans, you can use any vegetables in this way, and the kids still end up getting their nutrients.

As my kids have got older, I don't need to do this as much, they actually love beans, but I still do it with brocoli, as neither of them will eat food that contains it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: When is a bean not a bean?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,