Best Special Dish - Page 3 of 4

QUOTE the best dish I ever had was that of - Page 3 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 8th Mar, 2003 - 9:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
I ever ate
Post Date: 20th Feb, 2003 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Best Special Dish
A Friend

Best Special Dish - Page 3

We have 3 major races here. The Malays, the Chinese and the Indians (from India). So being Malaysians we are all exposed to all kinds of food, including some authentic Portuguese cuisine. Plus a whole lot of fusion foods. Yes, we do have Chinese food. And most Malaysians would swear that our Chinese food are better than even Hong Kong's or mainland China. Why? Because we are spice up our dishes - hot, spicy, sour, sweet, the whole range. Whatever your fancies!

LDS, I wasn't kidding about the durian. The King Of Fruits. There was this story a few weeks ago where the Australian police and Armed Forces were put on high alert, I think in Melbourne or so, because they discovered a very pungent smell emanating from the baggage compartment of the plane. The whole airport was shut down. They sent in biochemical experts to search for the weapon. They got a further shock when they discovered some whitish powdery deposit on one of the bags. Definitely chemical attack, or so they thought.

Turned out that the culprit was a durian that someone, probably Malaysian smile.gif , tried to smuggle in a durian. And he tried to mask the smell by spraying some air freshener onto the bag. Of course the Durian wins! The smell can be overpowering.

Check out one of the durian sites:

https://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/

Sponsored Links:
20th Feb, 2003 - 1:22am / Post ID: #

Dish Special Best

I went to the link you gave me. That's a really interesting fruit! smile.gif I would like to give it a try smile.gif I laughed because in the same web site says that the part-time job of a durian is 'handy weapon' lol is the smell soooo bad???? How does it smell? like its rotten?. The story also is really funny! smile.gif I have never heard of this fruit before.

Post Date: 20th Feb, 2003 - 5:19am / Post ID: #

Best Special Dish
A Friend

Best Special Dish Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

A lot of people gets put off by the smell. It's very pungent. It's actually not that bad .... then again, I'm a durian lover wink.gif

Most visitors here would puke when they first try it. Some would never dare venture near those fruits anymore. But there are a lot of expatriates here who can consume the fruit as well as any locals.

Thailand also produces durians but theirs is not as exquisite as the Malaysian varieties. The gold variety costs an arm  per fruit. Incidentally, one of the popular local varieties is named D24. Locals instinctively sense that this may be an oblique reference to the fact that what they are paying for is as expensive as gold -- 24 carats. ohmy.gif

Don't know how to describe the smell but you wouldn't want to be near your friend who has just had a durian feast, and is about to belch. Other end even worse!

Tourists' info: Durians are banned from all hotel rooms, enclosed public areas, planes, trains, public transport.

Whenever we buy those fruits  to share with the folks back home, the smell lingers in the car for days!

But its the king for .... The Heavenly Taste!

20th Feb, 2003 - 10:13am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Dish Special Best

How much is it for a pound of durians? (in US dollars)

Tourists' info: Durians are banned from all hotel rooms, enclosed public areas, planes, trains, public transport.

Oh boy, but then it must smell really bad then! LOL...to be banned from all hotel rooms LOL...do you know what's the cause of the bad smell?.
I made a research on it and I was amazed to see different dishes made about durians.

Post Date: 20th Feb, 2003 - 3:51pm / Post ID: #

Best Special Dish
A Friend

Dish Special Best

You should check out this guy's experience with durians. It's hilarious! LMAO! :^) And he paid US10 for one fruit, and it's not even fresh!

https://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/durian/

21st Feb, 2003 - 4:07pm / Post ID: #

Best Special Dish

LOL...it made me laugh, the guy could not handle the durian at all. biggrin.gif It must smell soooo bad tongue.gif oh well, if one day I go to Malasya I would definetly give it a shot to see how it taste wink.gif although I will make sure to put something on my nostrils to not smell it! lol ;D

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Mar, 2003 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Best Special Dish
A Friend

Best Special Dish - Page 3

the best dish I ever had was that of deer steak. The slow roasting of it made it umm...so good

8th Mar, 2003 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Best Special Dish Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 3

the best dish I ever had was that of deer steak. The slow roasting of it made it umm...so good

Oh, oh, LDS_forever, don't read this...

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Best Special Dish

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,