Violence & Sex in Games - Page 5 of 23

I play games like Grand Theft Auto all the - Page 5 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 17th Jan, 2005 - 3:21am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (23) »

?
Poll: I think Violence and Sex in video games is...
  Terrible and should be removed       29.82%
  Okay once it is done in good taste       28.07%
  Fine, nothing wrong with it at all       42.11%
Total Votes: 57
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Discuss  Violence & Sex in Games Is all that violence and sex in video games really necessary to entertain?
22nd Nov, 2004 - 2:17am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games - Page 5

Smidge, first of all we are NOT talking about RPGs particularly 'World of Medieval' which you hinted, in this thread. This thread is in the Video Games board. I will also have you know that the main characteristic of game play in Medieval is the very fact that it is NOT about 'kill, kill' kill', but using your mind for more intellectual play.

Second, read the last two posts again and then reply with a more thoughtful (as in ponder) question and or response.

22nd Nov, 2004 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

Games Sex and Violence

I know it's not about RPGs, I just didn't know what other games LDS plays, so I made an example out of this. Maybe it was not the best choice. Maybe my opinion will change, though, and maybe not. It depends on what sort of violence you're talking about. If it's games like Taken or wrestling, I'd think the same . The goal in these games is not to see other people die or get hurt, but rather, move up in the ladder towards championship. I don't know any more violent games than these, but if it's beyond that, I would agree with you - these games are not ok.

22nd Nov, 2004 - 2:47am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games Gaming Video & Issues Computer

I believe if you read the starting pages of this thread you will see some focus was placed on GTA (Grand Theft Auto) and similar games as examples. Some games also emphasize gore where you do not just fight, but you kill in the most brutal manner by chopping limbs and seeing blood gush out, etc.

22nd Nov, 2004 - 2:52am / Post ID: #

Page 5 Games Sex and Violence

I see what you mean. in Grant theft auto, though, there are missions which the more adventuresome person may enjoy. If you play it just for the violence, it is sick smile.gif

Post Date: 22nd Nov, 2004 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Games Sex and Violence

Games can make a child go out and shoot someone by the child seeing it on a game. With parental supervision and no mental defects the child will be taught not to do this if he is taught a sense of morals and good judgement. I have thought the violence part was sometimes a hook to get people playing the game to join the military. The sex part is probably used to make the game more realistic and exciting. It comes down to if you want to live in a free world, or in a prison with some stranger telling you what to do all day.

Post Date: 22nd Nov, 2004 - 1:05pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex in Games

" Games can make a child go out and shoot someone by the child seeing it on a game."

Not games do that, easy access to firearms. Did you heard of such cases in Germany for example where the game industry is so big ? I did not ..

Also I think not buying the games or advertising agains them is not a solution , see the fur industry that survive nicely agains the fervent activism.

Post Date: 13th Jan, 2005 - 11:32pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex Games - Page 5

OK, I believe that there is excessive and unneeded viloence and especially sex (why does it need to be there at all?) are present in today's video games, but I also feel as if there is an excessive amount of attention focused on this subject. I am 16, and video games, even GTA (which I do not own) do not give me impulses in the slightest to go kill someone. Movies have even more (way more) viloence and sex, and they are more visual. Shouldn't more emphasis be placed on that? I have never heard of a teenager claim that he killed someone because he thaught it was "cool." Maybe you have, but parental raising plays a much larger factor in these incedents. Also, I feel as if almost all of the media attentionn around excessive vilonce and sex originated because of Grand Theft Auto. I have no other knowledge of a truly disgusting game such as this. Other popular games, like Halo or Splinter Cell, etc. are not overly violent. So, the "government's solution" should be to ban Rockstar from producing another Grand Theft Auto version, and have a recall of the game (I'm not sure how possible this is, however, for I don't see how they could lay the blame of killings at the hands of GTA). I think that this "desire to kill for fun" originates more from movies than video games. The hero never dies (unlike in video games) and gets all the girls, the attention, and everyone hails him. None of the consequences happen in a video game such as GTA. The idea of excessive sex is now so ingrained in society than there is nothing that can be done about it. Almost every show, music video, movie, and famous person exploits sex unnecessarily. Even teenagers do it (Lindsay Lohan is an example). I apologive for this kind of being an unorganized jumbled mess, but I will try and sort it out with responses from you.

Post Date: 17th Jan, 2005 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex Games Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 5

I play games like Grand Theft Auto all the time. I have been since I was younger. I myself wouldn't really say that games like it influence crime anymore then television in general does. Grand Theft Auto's biggest attribute I would think is the fact that it's pretty realistic, almost like you're turning on the news and hearing about something bad that happened, only you have control over it. Though that's not to say that these games have no influence what so every over the people who play them. I don't know if my eyes light up when I am stealing a car or killing someone in the game, but I do know I am not personally a violent person, I am appauled by violence and couldn't image myself doing anything like that in real life. I think of it as a game and nothing more, it's sort of like watching an interactive movie to me.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (23) »
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Violence & Sex in Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,