Islam 101 - Page 4 of 13

Hi LDS, and thanks for waiting patiently for - Page 4 - Studies of Islam - Posted: 24th Nov, 2003 - 4:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (13) »
Basic Beliefs Of Islam - Probably one of the most misunderstood religions in the world today largely due to the events of September 11th, but hopefully we can research the truth about Islam here. If you have ever wanted to ask question or were thinking about converting to Islam then ask within this Thread.
19th Nov, 2003 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Islam 101 - Page 4

I read where Sharia provides for a woman who is raped to be stoned to death for adultery.  This happened in Nairobi, and it is only through the massive reaction of the West that her life was spared, although there were indications that most people in the area expected the sentence of death to be carried out once the spotlight of attention had moved on.

Nighthawlk, are you talking about the same case on TV? the lady who also have a baby and because of the pressure the sentence was not carried out? You mention she was raped, I thought she committed adultery. I didn't know she was raped.

In my opinion Islam is a good religion who teaches good principles, now if some crazy person interprets the Islam in another light then the person has a problem not the religion itself, yes, there are many so called 'Muslims' who do horror things in the name of Islam, I don't know what's the official position of Islam regards to this people but in my opinion they cannot be considered 'Muslims' since they go against the teachings of their own religion and they may confuse the young minds.

Sponsored Links:
19th Nov, 2003 - 11:21am / Post ID: #

Islam

Yes, I am talking about that case.  However, I am also taking about recent cases that occured in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere, where young women who were raped by relatives (uncles, I think) were sentenced to death.

It is NOT crazy individuals that I am talking about here, nor is it, strictly speaking, Islam.  It is specifically Sharia law.  It is the countries, the government who allow, perhaps even encourage, parents to mutilate their young daughters through female circumcision.  It is the governments that peform executions, under Sharia law, of anyone who converts from Islam to Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, or especially, Baha'i.  The person is given a few days to recant, and then they will die.  Apparently the form of death is determined by whether or not they recant.

It is the blatant, active participation of the governments of the Sudan and other African Muslim nations in the horrific slave trade and suppression of Christians by murdering parents and enslaving the children into horrific conditions.  According to at least one prominent Muslim cleric and Sharia scholar, such slavery is required by Islamic law.

This is what I was talking about that is fearful about Sharia law.  Yes, it keeps a lid on a lot of social problems such as drug abuse, burglary, and social unrest.  It does so by beheading drug users and distributer, cutting off the hands of theives (unless they are so important that they are given a pass), and violently suppressing social unrest.

Christians of any type are oppressed severely within all cultures that practice Sharia law.  In Egypt, the Copts have their property confiscated and destroyed on almost a daily basis.  If a Muslim attacks them, they cannot defend themselves.  If the Muslim brings them to court, they are not allowed to defend themselves under the law - they are guilty.  Christians or any other non-Muslim cannot bring any charges against a Muslim.

Under Sharia law, a Christian man who marries a Muslim woman is not married - that is, the marriage is not legal, and the Christian man is subject to the harshest penalties, possibly including death.  But a Muslim man who marries a Christian woman is a completely different matter, as the Christian woman is immediately considered a Muslim, and their children are Muslim, no matter what the wishes of the parents are.

This is what I meant when I spoke about the horrors that we would experience if we were to be forced to live under Sharia law.

NightHawk

Post Date: 19th Nov, 2003 - 1:42pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101
A Friend

Islam 101 Islam Studies

So, is it fear that shapes my opinion of Sharia?  Or is it the recognition that as a Mormon, to live under Sharia would strip me of all my liberty, especially my religious liberty?

Hi Nighthawk,

It is possible that your opinion may be shaped by fear, but fear is something that can be overcome once we fully understand the source of it.

Maybe I can clear up a few points.  First, if you want to really know what Sharia law says you have to read from a good source, not make a conclusion or assumption based on the actions of ignorant people.  

Under Sharia, non-Muslims have full rights to worship in that country as they choose.  Yes, they can ring their church bells, display their crosses, etc.  The Quran tells us very clearly that there is no compulsion in religion, and we should deal with the non-Muslims in the kindest way.  They should be treated as well as a respected guest in the Islamic country.  Unfortunately, this is not happening anywhere as you are pointing out, but this is the truth of Sharia.  

We are living in a time where ignorance seems to be the norm, not just among the 'common people' like ourselves, but in our leaders as well.  I'm talking about all nations, not just Islamic majority ones.

You write with a lot of passion about how horrible Sharia law is, and I'm sure you realize that nothing like this is going to happen like tomorrow or anything.  If we choose to be in fear of something we do not understand, we cannot change our condition, nor can we promote peace.  If left unchecked it can go out of control to the point where hatred and contempt are bred, and people come to fight but no one really knows what it is all about.  Perhaps a bit of what is happening with Palestine/Israel?

So rather than following this path, would it not be better to make a genuine attempt to try and understand the thing that is troubling you, put ourselves in the others shoes, seriously, and we might find some of these fears melt away.  If you want I can recommend a good book on Sharia.  Let me know.

Take care,
Jennifer

19th Nov, 2003 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Islam

I will continue to look at it from the point of view of its effects, not its ideal.

All of the things I wrote come directly from recent news about those countries.

If Muslims want to alleviate the fear and revulsion that many Christians feel towards the religion, they need to repudiate the horrific acts of these governments and cultures.  They need to take a firm stand against the continuing acts of terror.  The Muslim clerics need to stand up and condemn the acts and statements that keep coming out of the Muslim countries.  They need to repudiate the blatant lies that are published in Muslim periodicals about Christians and Jews.

Perhaps Sharia law is just.  I don't know.  But I do know that the implementations of it that are currently in place are not.

NightHawk

19th Nov, 2003 - 2:13pm / Post ID: #

Islam

Jennifer, are you saying that the Sharia law is not as what we get from the news?. So what we see on TV then?. Even though I agree with you partially about fear, watching the news about how people are being treated in Sharia Law is not an invent or an assumption from fear in my opinion as a journalist, is happening now in some countries, you even seem to suggested it when you said:

They should be treated as well as a respected guest in the Islamic country.  Unfortunately, this is not happening anywhere as you are pointing out, but this is the truth of Sharia.  

what is the Islam nation doing to reject it or do something about this?. I would like to know more your views on this subject. Thanks smile.gif

Post Date: 19th Nov, 2003 - 3:39pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101
A Friend

Islam 101

When I said that I was thinking more of fear in the minds of the people in the west, such as nighthawk, (atually all of us at times) I do not mean people livng in these circumstances.  I think that here in the west we at least have the chance to do something about it as we are removed from the situation, and if we can emotionally detach ourselves from it, we might be able to make a change for good.  But I can be a bit of a dreamer too.  This will take a collective effort from people of all faiths.  I don't know anything about the Nation of Islam.  I only know Muslims living in America.  We do what we are able.  In my small community for example, we host and attend interfaith gatherings in which we exchange ideas and concerns similiar to what we are doing right now.  Some friendships are formed in this way, and I know of people of both sides with strong feeling toward each other have these issues dissolved through dialogue and contemplation.  We write to the newspapers trying to clear up confusions about issues such as these, but more often than not, they are never included in the paper, I guess the blood and guts sells more papers than extending the hand of peace.  But I think the thing that has the most effect, for me anyway, is simply living my daily life.  I go out in hijab, and where I live this is a rare sight.  I put up with all kinds of people, and at times I am prejudged, especially going into a new place in the neighborhood.  I find that over time though, as these people see me more and more, they start to approach with questions, and this is how the most difference is made.  It is not for the sake of trying to get converts to Islam, but more of an attempt to understand each other and promote UNITY.  After all, we are not so unlike.

Yes, I am saying exactly that sharia is not at all what you get from the news.  What we have is a lot of fools doing things in the name of Sharia that are completely unjustified.  If I tell you I am a race care driver, but I do not have a race car, a drivers licence, or any knowledge of the racetrack will you still believe me that I am a race car driver?  This is how I think of the abuses done in the name of Sharia.  I don't like it either, we are the ones having to clean up after them.

I hope this helps answer for you.  I want to point out one thing though.  Abuse is happening globally to the Muslims as well.  Many of the same things that are said against us, can be said against Christian majority nations as well.  I'm not trying to argue, but it is not only up to Muslims to rectify themselves, we all have some account in things that are happening, and if it is to be solved, we will have to meet each other half way.  

PEACE! smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Nov, 2003 - 2:34pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101 - Page 4

Jennifer, thanks for your comments. I agree with you to a certain extent but for example, I'm a LDS member, in my Church when a member breaks a covenant or commit a serious crime, the person have what we call 'Disciplinary Action' where it will be decide (based on the sin/crime) if he will be excommunicated and no longer be a LDS member. What about the Islam? I know you said you only about about Islam in the USA and of course Islam in the USA would be very different to what it is in Afghanistan under the Taliban for instance. The United States of America is a free country, therefore the experiences are different. But what about when you heard that a Muslim person is teaching how to kill Christians? or put bombs? now, you may say there are not Muslims but they're allow to go and pray in the Mosque....my question is: how the Islam handles this kind of people?. What penalty they get if they're caught in teaching these things that goes against Islam?. Do you think that the Islam in the USA and in the Middle East are different?  How?. Thanks for answering my questions, I really appreciate it. smile.gif

Offtopic but,
Where I live, here in Trinidad and Tobago, we have lots of Muslims. smile.gif

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 28th Nov, 2003 - 7:17pm

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2003 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

Islam 101
A Friend

Islam 101 Studies Islam - Page 4

Hi LDS, and thanks for waiting patiently for me to reply.

In Islam we are all brothers and sisters to one another. This is not just something that is said loosely, it is felt from the heart. For this reason you don't often hear a Muslim denounce another Muslim, just as a parent would hesitate to go public with everything that displeases them about their children. You cannot be kicked out of Islam, just as you cannot be kicked out of your family. Islam is more than a religion, it is a way of life.

Of course, there are some who become misguided, and that is why dialogue is so important. While I am not talking about making bombs or killing people, I have seen that from time to time, and individual may announce some conclusion that is based on limited knowledge and/or understanding of Islamic teaching. When this happens the stronger members will gather to point the way out of this idea. In a country such as the USA where we come from countries all around the world, as well as USA itself, we see all kinds of people with all kinds of ideas, for very liberal to very conservative. Islam tells us to take the middle path.

Islam is the same, it does not matter where you are from, we differ only in knowledge and understanding.

I do not mind to answer your questions, I only hope that I can shed some light onto these issues.

Peace! smile.gif
~Jennifer

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (13) »

> TOPIC: Islam 101

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,