Seperation of Church and State?

Seperation Church State - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Nov, 2003 - 12:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
16th Jan, 2003 - 9:34pm / Post ID: #

There will come a time when the earth will be ruled by the Church Government. A Theocracy of priesthood holders experienced in leadership maybe?

Until that time we have to deal with mortal men, but do you think there should be a seperation of Church and State to the degree that Children should not proclaim the name of 'God' from their lips in a unified manner?

I am glad that in my own country we have not become so blinded by our zeal to obey a constitution that we forget why the constitution has been created.

From Deseret News:

ATHEISTS PLEDGE A SUIT ON UTAH LAW

Local atheists are pledging to keep the Pledge of Allegiance out of Utah
schoolrooms. Members of the Salt Lake Valley Atheists are considering a lawsuit
against a 3-year-old state law requiring all Utah elementary school students to
recite the pledge

https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...26859%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
16th Jan, 2003 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

State Church Seperation

[quote]There will come a time when the earth will be ruled by the Church Government. A Theocracy of priesthood holders experienced in leadership maybe? [/quote]

What do you mean by Church Government?. I know Christ will rule this Earth as far as I know but the Church and priesthood holders?.

25th Sep, 2003 - 12:10pm / Post ID: #

Seperation of Church and State? Studies Doctrine Mormon

In the US we often hear "separation of Church and State" quoted as a reason why we cannot have prayer in schools or say the Pledge of Allegience, etc.  However, that wasn't the intent of our forefathers.  Separation of Church and State didn't mean we couldn't have God in our public arenas, but that our political leaders couldn't dictate to us which religion we were to follow.  They couldn't declare an official State Religion such as the Church of England.  In fact, George Washington mentioned God and gave him the glory in his Presidential inaugural speech.  Congress opens every session with a prayer, etc.  We shouldn't force religion on someone, but neither should be deny it's expression publicly by someone.  For example, if the validictorian at a high school wants to thank God for their successes in their speech, it should be allowed.

As far as reciting the Pledge in schools, I think it should be required.  If you want to live here you should pledge your allegience to this country and we should teach our children (in publicly funded schools) to have this proper allegience.  The fact is this country was founded by a group of people who wanted to live and practice their religion.  This is true both of this country anciently by the Nephites and in more modern times by the Pilgrims.

25th Sep, 2003 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

State Church Seperation

The very concept of "separation of Church and State" comes from a letter by Thomas Jefferson to a Baptist Church.  In it, he was explaining that the 1st Amendment was designed to protect the churches from interference by the Federal Government.

In fact, it wasn't until much later that the Supreme Court applied the amendments to the individual states.  The Constitution is written specifically in such a way as to make that NOT possible, but we let the courts get away with it.

In the beginning, for the first few decades of the Republic, individual states did establish religions by law.  The reason that the Edmunds Act and the Edmunds-Tucker Act were effective within Utah (disenfranchising the Church, making plural marriage illegal, etc) was because Utah was at that time a territory, not a state.  Utah was not allowed to become a state until the Church had forsaken plural marriage and the Utah state constitution enshrined that abandonment in its proposed state constitution.

The 1st Amendment was meant to guarantee freedom of religion.  Now it seems to mean freedom from religion.

For a very interesting discussion about some of this, see Ann Coulter's article on WorldNetDaily: "It's the winter solstice, Charlie Brown!"
https://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=34772

[quote]What do you mean by Church Government?. I know Christ will rule this Earth as far as I know but the Church and priesthood holders?[/quote]

My understanding (which is always suspect), is that the Lord will rule during the Millenium, but that He will rule through the Priesthood.  Specifically, that He will call a righteous King, of whom David was a type, who will administer the Law of the Lord.

Again, this is my opinion.  Why would the Lord, a Resurrected, Celestial God, act as a Terrestial King?  D&C 76 tells us that Jesus will minister to the Terrestial Kingdom, but not dwell there.  I see the Terrestial kingdom of the Millenium the same way.

NightHawk

Post Date: 17th Nov, 2003 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

State Church Seperation

I consider myself: I'm Active
Years a Member: 5

There is nothing in the U.S. Constitution or Declaration of Independence that denotes a seperation of church & state.

17th Nov, 2003 - 4:01pm / Post ID: #

The first amendment says congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

This is the amendment that the Supreme Court says means separation of Church and State.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Nov, 2003 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

Seperation Church State

That is absolutely correct.  It states that Congress - meaning the national congress, shall make no laws establishing religion.

Recently, this has come to be interpreted that no government body, from Congress down to the local parks board, can appear to be influenced by religion in any way.

I find it very strange, for example, that Justice Moore, in Alabama, was ordered to remove the 10 Commandments monument.  It was not a law.  It wasn't even a regulation (which is a law enacted by an entity other than Congress).  His placing it there was not in contradiction of any law either.  Yet he was removed from an elected office by other judges.

I think we are going to see this trend continue until all public expression of Christianity is suppressed in the US.  You see, Hinduism, Islam, even Judaism are not subject to these same restrictions.

NightHawk

18th Nov, 2003 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

Seperation Church State Mormon Doctrine Studies

[quote]I think we are going to see this trend continue until all public expression of Christianity is suppressed in the US.  You see, Hinduism, Islam, even Judaism are not subject to these same restrictions. [/quote]

I agree with you Nighthawk.  What I wonder is if this is a necessary part of the "plan" for the end days.  What I mean is one more step in removing Christianity or should I say an attempt to remove it, by Satan in order to try to foil Heavenly Father's plan for us.  Yet, he knows the plan, and in the end we know what happens.  But, I guess I am just contemplating whether or not this is just one more sign of the end days and one we will not successfully be able to reverse because of it's role in the end.  I am not suggesting we give up and not try to reverse these things, just wondering at it's overall role in life eternal?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Seperation of Church and State?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,