Mountain Meadows Massacre

Mountain Meadows Massacre - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Dec, 2004 - 12:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Mountain Meadows Massacre Quotes
4th Jul, 2003 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Mountain Meadows was a regular stop on the Old Spanish Trail from Santa Fe to Los Angeles and in 1857 the place where John D. Lee led a massacre of 120 emigrants at a time when Mormons feared they would again be driven from their homes by "gentiles."

But you wonder who was John D. Lee?. (1812-1877)

international QUOTE
A man whose life was stained by tragedy, John D. Lee is perhaps the most controversial figure in Mormon history.

He met and married Agatha Ann Woolsey in 1833.

It was in Vandalia that Lee and his wife encountered Mormonism. In 1837 a Mormon missionary converted the couple to the young religion, which had been formally organized only seven years before. Lee's religious passion quickly became the driving force in his life, prompting him to move in 1838 to a homestead near the Mormon town of Far West, Missouri.

The large influx of Mormons into Northwest Missouri caused enormous tensions with the non-Mormon ("gentile") population. Many of the gentiles were hostile on purely religious grounds, but they also resented the political and economic power which the cohesive Mormon community had acquired. Individual confrontations soon exploded into near warfare involving murder, destruction of property, and cycles of raids and counter-raids between the Mormons and gentiles. Lee played an active role in many of the military conflicts, and soon became a member of the Danite Band, the formally organized Mormon militia. Finally Missouri's governor ordered the Mormons expelled or exterminated, sending an army which surrounded their community and forced the Mormon leadership to surrender.

His commitment impressed the church leadership, and in 1843 he was chosen to guard the home of the church's founder and prophet, Joseph Smith. He was also later call as a Seventy.

Even in the far West, however, neither Lee nor his co-religionists were beyond the reach of the country whose persecution they had fled. In 1857, prompted by complaints about church power in the territory and a public outcry against polygamy, the United States sent an army to Utah, raising Mormon fears that the final annihilation was at hand. [b]This invasion was the backdrop for the still-controversial Mountain Meadows Massacre, in which a wagon train of about 120 gentile immigrants, suspected of hostility toward the church, was destroyed by Mormon and Paiute forces in southwestern Utah.

Lee's involvement in the massacre -- the extent of which is still vigorously disputed and will probably never be known -- was to haunt him for the next two decades, and would ultimately lead to his execution. He had written a letter to Brigham Young shortly after the massacre which laid the blame squarely on the Paiute Indians, but even among his own neighbors rumors of Lee's guilt abounded. In 1858 a federal judge came to southwestern Utah to investigate the massacre and Lee's part in it, but Lee went into hiding and local Mormons refused to cooperate with the investigation. Folk songs dating back to this year blamed Lee for the massacre. A warrant for his arrest remained outstanding.

Although the church sought to lower Lee's profile, by removing him as a probate judge, the Mormon leadership continued to return his immense loyalty. In 1860, Brigham Young visited one of Lee's mansions and publicly praised his personal industriousness and communal economic contributions. In 1861 the residents of Harmony, Utah, elected him as their presiding elder.

But Lee could not escape the legacy of Mountain Meadows. By the late 1860s, his diary, and letters from several of his wives, speak of persistent harassment by his Mormon neighbors for his connection with the massacre, including threatening letters and the ostracization of his children. In 1870 a Utah paper openly condemned Brigham Young for covering up the massacre. That same year Young exiled Lee to a remote part of northern Arizona and excommunicated him from the church, instructing his former confidant to "make yourself scarce and keep out of the way."

The next several years brought a continued decline in Lee's fortunes. He had several episodes of severe illness; drought followed by torrential rains destroyed many of his buildings and crops; former neighbors preyed upon his livestock and otherwise took advantage of his absence; several of his wives deserted him. Nevertheless, he was managing to eke out a living in a homesteader's cabin near the Colorado River in Northern Arizona (at one point hosting John Wesley Powell's 1869 expedition before their trip through the Grand Canyon) when a sheriff captured him in November 1874.

Lee's first trial ended inconclusively with a hung jury, probably because of the prosecution's misguided attempt to portray Brigham Young as the true mastermind of the massacre. A second trial, in which the prosecution placed the blame squarely on Lee's shoulders, ended with his conviction. The trials were the subject of enormous public attention and gave rise to many accounts of the massacre and of Lee's life. These accounts, naturally, vary widely in their factual accuracy, but many contain the classic elements of anti-Mormon paranoia: fear of Mormon political and economic power and horror at the s-xual depravity assumed to be implicit in plural marriage. Most play up the fact that Lee had numerous wives and emphasize the plight of the women and children killed and captured at Mountain Meadows. Lee himself continued to profess his innocence.

Nearly twenty years after the massacre, Lee was executed at Mountain Meadows. Although angry at Brigham Young's treatment of him, Lee's final words maintained the deep religious faith that had marked his entire adult life:

I have but little to say this morning. Of course I feel that I am at the brink of eternity, and the solemnities of eternity should rest upon my mind at the present... I am ready to die. I trust in God. I have no fear. Death has no terror.

Sponsored Links:
28th Oct, 2003 - 10:11pm / Post ID: #

Massacre Meadows Mountain

Thanks for the thread LDS, very interesting history / story, but you did not put any references for or to it?

Mountain Meadows Massacre (Hover)

29th Oct, 2003 - 1:46pm / Post ID: #

Mountain Meadows Massacre Studies Doctrine Mormon

Often people try to use the Mountain Meadows Massacre as an example of how the Church really was wicked in Brigham Young's day and so it can't be what it says it is today.  At least, I have had this happen to me here where I work.  One of the attorneys mentioned it more than once to me asked me if I knew about it, pointed out that a book had been written about it, etc.

I was unwilling to discuss it with him because I don't care to judge the individuals involved because of what they had experienced in their lives up to this point.  Also, I don't think he really cared about my perspective, he just was looking for an argument.  

Many of the Saints had been driven from their homes more than once.  Can you imagine if today someone made you leave your house, gave you nothing for it, told you to just pack up what you could carry and get out or I will kill you.  Now, imagine this being done with the government's approval or even just with them turning their heads and looking the other way while it happened.  This is what these people endured.  More than once.  I can't say that I blame them for what they did.  I am not saying it was right, but I can understand why it might have happened.

I know the Church recently offerred an official apology for any part they played in this massacre.  I agree it was wrong, and it isn't justified to do wrong just because you have been wronged.  I am just saying, I am not willing to judge these people for what they did given the circumstances they had faced up to this point.  I don't know what I would do under these same set of circumstances.  I always hope to do what is right, but I am certainly human.

29th Oct, 2003 - 2:01pm / Post ID: #

[quote] I know the Church recently offerred an official apology for any part they played in this massacre.[/quote]

Really? when? do you have a link for more information about this official apology? I thought that the Church didn't recognize that they were part of this Massacre.

29th Oct, 2003 - 2:34pm / Post ID: #

I will see what I can find.  I remember reading a newspaper article that I found via LDS-Gems about this.  Let me research it and get back to you.

29th Oct, 2003 - 2:46pm / Post ID: #

O.K.  What I found is that the Church dedicated a monument to those who died in the massacre and President Hinckley said the following:

international QUOTE
That which we have done here must never be construed as an acknowledgment of the part of the church of any complicity in the occurrences of that fateful day"

-- President Gordon B. Hinckley
dedicating the monument, Sept. 11, 1999
Source 9

Another quote:

international QUOTE
Gordon B. Hinckley, First Counselor in the LDS Church First Presidency, offered the prayer dedicating the new monument. In a talk delivered before the prayer, President Hinckley said he came "not as a descendant of any of the parties involved at Mountain Meadows" but "as a representative of an entire people who have suffered much over what occurred there."

"In our time," he said, "we can read such history as is available, but we really cannot understand nor comprehend that which occurred those tragic and terrible September days in 1857. Rather, we are grateful for the ameliorating influence that has brought us together in a spirit of reconciliation as new generations gather with respect and appreciation one for another. A bridge has been built across a chasm of cankering bitterness. We walk across that bridge and greet one another with a spirit of love, forgiveness, and with hope that there will never be a repetition of anything of the kind." (Excerpts from the talks are all taken from unpublished manuscripts found in the Mountain Meadows Memorial collection, LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah.)

https://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/respons...Meadows_EOM.htm

So, what I had taken as an apology for the Church's involvement really wasn't that exactly.  More like "we're sorry for what was suffered, and let's move forward in a spirit of reconciliation."

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Nov, 2003 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

A Friend

My mother's family comes from that part of Utah. In fact, Robert Dockery Covington is in my blood. From everything I've read concerning John D Lee, I have the impression that he was a very powerful spirit who never quite learned self mastery. He was often in competition with Bishop Covington over who had the fanciest home or was most worthy of having President Young visit. Sometimes it's those little chinks in our armor that cause us the most danger. I've heard both good and bad about the Mountain Meadow Massacre. All I know for sure is that it was a tragedy and both sides suffered so much.

16th Dec, 2004 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

Mountain Meadows Massacre Mormon Doctrine Studies

I moved this topic to the LDS deep doctrine board because I'm interested in discussing this issue more in depht. I'm interested particularly in discuss the involvment in the Church in the Massacre.

A extract from James Henry Carleton, Brevet Major, United States of America Captain in the First Dragoons:

international QUOTE
While the Mormons say the Indians were the murderers, they speak with no sympathy of the suffer[er]s, but rather in extenuation of the crime by saying the emigrants were not fit to live; that besides poisoning the spring "they were impudent to the people on the road, robbed their hen roosts and gardens, and were insulting to the church; called their oxen "Brigham Young," "Heber Kimball," etc., and altogether were a rough, ugly set that ought to have been killed anyway.

But there is another side to this story. It is said that some two years since Bishop Parley Pratt was shot in Cherokee Nation near Arkansas by the husband of a woman who had run off with that saintly prelate. The Mormons swore vengeance on the people of Arkansas, one of who was this injured husband. The wife came on to Salt Lake City after the bishop was killed and still lives there.

About this time, also, the Mormon troubles with the United States commenced, and the most bitter hostility against the Gentiles became rife throughout Utah among all the Latter-Day Saints. It will be recollected that even while these emigrants were pursuing their journey overland to California, Colonel Alexander was following upon their trace with two or more regiments of troops ordered to Utah to assist, if necessary, in seeing the laws of the land properly enforced in that territory.

Jackson says there were 60 Mormons led by Bishop John D. Lee, of Harmony, and a prominent man in the church named [Isaac C.]Haight, who lives at Cedar City. That they were all painted and disguised as Indians...

Full article:

Source 2

Worth reading it!

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Mountain Meadows Massacre

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,