The Book of Mormon - Page 2 of 16

Hurray  LDS_Forever!  I'm - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Oct, 2003 - 10:49am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: How many times have you read the whole Book of Mormon?
  Never       1.96%
  Once       21.57%
  Twice       19.61%
  Three to Five times       23.53%
  Six to Ten times       17.65%
  Eleven to Sixteen times       5.88%
  Seventeen to Twenty times       1.96%
  Over Twenty times       3.92%
  Over Thirty times       0.00%
  Over Forty times       1.96%
  So many times cannot remember       1.96%
Total Votes: 51
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
What do you know about this sacred Book of Scripture regarded as the foundation of the Mormon faith and what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is built on?
23rd Oct, 2003 - 11:17pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon - Page 2

tena said

I see Farseer that you start in Alma, I find that to be the most difficult of all the books, so I bet if you decide to start at page one and go to the end, you will do just fine.

That's kind of interesting. My favorite chapter is Alma 5.. " Have ye received his image in your countenance? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?" awesome.

Nighthawk said
I know of someone who set up a schedule to read it once a month.  He went through and divided it up into 30 sections.  Actually each section is only about 8 ½ pages long.  He said that it takes less than ½ hour per day to read it all the way through in a month.

Now that's a schedule I could stick to. That doesn't seem like very much at all.. What the heck have I been delaying for all this time?

I wonder if it would be easier for me psychologically if I took JUST the Book of Mormon, not included in a "set" of scriptures? Those little skinny ones the missionaries give out?

Okay! I accept the challenge! (I know, you didn't really give one, JB, but I'll take it as such.)

What's today? The 23rd? I'll read the Book of Mormon, cover to cover, 8.5 pages per day, and be finished by Thanksgiving. Woo HOO!

Roz (on a mission smile.gif )

Sponsored Links:
25th Oct, 2003 - 6:08am / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

Whoopsie...  531 pages / 30 days = 17.7 pages per day.  Well, that's okay.  8.5 or 9 pages in the morning, same number at night... that's about half an hour a day.  I can *still* do that.

smile.gif  :)  :)

Roz

25th Oct, 2003 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

You're right!  Sorry about that.  I had gone through and marked my scriptures, highlighting the chapters to start with each day, a long time ago.  Still, 17 pages isn't toooo much.

:smile.gif

NightHawk

25th Oct, 2003 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Mormon Book The

No, not bad at all.  I can do it.  I should have done it before.  Now's my chance smile.gif

Anyone else interested?  Get started!

Roz (all fired up)

Post Date: 26th Oct, 2003 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

Mormon Book The

I haven't written on here in quite awhile.  Anyway, I have read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover multiple times.  Yet, everytime I read it it still seems fresh and new.

The first time I "read" the Book of Mormon was when I was around 6 or 7.  My family had just been sealed in the LA Temple and one of the temple workers had given all of us children our own copy of the Book of Mormon.  It's the older copy that was paperback, blue and had the angel Moroni on the cover.  Haven't seen one of those in ages!

Anyway, I wanted to read it really bad, but I didn't know all the words and my mother was often too busy to help me.  My father was always into audiovisual things (afterall, he was a photographer) and had a wonderful stereo system.  Now, this was back in the days of vinyl records and reel-to-reel tape players.  Ok, I'm dating myself!.  He had the Book of Mormon on record and wanted to transfer it to tape.  As he did that I would sit in the living room and follow along in my own Book of Mormon.  I just thought that was so cool!  It was kind of like my first read-along book. smile.gif

Anyway, since that time I've read it over and over.  Not always consistently, sad to say.  I have also thought that it would be handy to just carry the Book of Mormon seperate from the rest of the scriptures.  Makes it seem smaller and more manageable.  It's really not that long of a book... however what takes time is the stopping to ponder the messages contained in it.  Some of the chapters are so rich in doctrine that you can't just whip through them, or at least I can't.

Currently I'm doing a 60 reading of the Book of Mormon.  It comes out to about 4 chapters a day.  I started October 1, so I should be done by December 1.  We'll see if I complete my goal.

26th Oct, 2003 - 8:46am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon

Yes, perhaps a 60-day or 90-day schedule would be very good.

I think it is very important to read through the Book of Mormon a few times, cover to cover.

However, once you know the full story, perhaps it is much better to just assign yourself a certain amount of time per day to read and ponder the message.

I have heard of people who have spent months just reading through, pondering, and searching the first four or five chapters of Nephi.  I could easily see spending weeks on 3 Nephi 27, or Moroni 10.  The information is so deep and complex.

So, Farseer, don't give up on your goal to read it through, cover-to-cover.  That is extremely admirable.  You might be amazed to find out the number of members of the church who have never done that.

Let us all remember that we are commanded to "search" the scriptures, not just read them.  Reading them cover-to-cover, especially the Book of Mormon gives us the whole story, but it doesn't give us the depth.

NightHawk

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Oct, 2003 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon - Page 2

Hey, you all are giving me so much encouragment! I will make a chart right now to start reading the Book of Mormon from today, I will read 17 pages every day....smile.gif

28th Oct, 2003 - 10:49am / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Hurray  LDS_Forever!  I'm also using the study guide I have that clarifies and asks questions.  I'm spending more time on it than I thought, but certainly getting more out of it than if I just whizzed through the pages.  It's great stuff.

Roz

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (16) »

> TOPIC: The Book of Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,