Mormons & Borderline Personality Disorder

Mormons Borderline Personality Disorder - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Feb, 2003 - 8:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 10th Jan, 2003 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am looking for members of the church that have experience with a loved one (H or W) who has Borderline Personality Disorder. This is a mental illness. There is some information outside of the church regarding this, but nothing within the church that I know of. I am looking for Non-BPD's and BPD's to discuss dealing with this disorder in a Christ centered way. It is an illness that is beginning to take hold in the counseling and psychiartric community, so there isn't much information available except and excellent book called "Stop Walking on Eggshells" which describes the lgreat pain that a non-bp goes through living with a bp. Help! I am a non-bp.

Sponsored Links:
10th Jan, 2003 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

Disorder Personality Borderline and Mormons

I am looking for members of the church that have experience with a loved one (H or W) who has Borderline Personality Disorder.  This is a mental illness

Welcome to the forum. Maybe if you explain what the disease is and why you are looking to get info about it then we can help you better.

Post Date: 10th Jan, 2003 - 4:33am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons & Borderline Personality Disorder Studies Doctrine Mormon

BPD is an illness that is very difficult to explain. It stems from extreme long term emotional and physical abuse received at an early age. The individual develops defense and survival mechanisiams. Essentially the person does not know themselves. They have been deprived of the basic life development tools that are gained during childhood. This condition causes the person to think in black and white with extreme mood changes. The non-bp mate is forced to deal with being adored and hated within a matter of minutes. My reason for contacting just LDS members is to gain insight into dealing with this disorder from an LDS viewpoint. A Book called "Stop Walking on Eggshells" has been written from e-mail postings on a web site called "BP Central.com" and is an excellent reference. Just wanting to talk to others out there that are in the same situation and desiring to talk to another member. Thanks

10th Jan, 2003 - 3:50pm / Post ID: #

essinsalem, I really never heard of it so I went to research on the net about it before coming here to post. I noticed that most of sympotms of BPD can be confused with other psychologial disorders. But let me put here some of the symptoms so people can know more about this:

"Relationships with others are intense but stormy and unstable with marked shifts of feelings and difficulties in
maintaining intimate, close connections. The person may manipulate others and often has difficulty with trusting
others. There is also emotional instability with marked and frequent shifts to an empty lonely depression or to
irritability and anxiety. There may be unpredictable and impulsive behavior which might include excessive spending, promiscuity, gambling, drug or alcohol abuse, shoplifting, overeating or physically self-damaging actions such as suicide gestures. The person may show inappropriate and intense anger or rage with temper tantrums, constant brooding and resentment, feelings of deprivation, and a loss of control or fear of loss of control over angry feelings.
There are also identity disturbances with confusion and uncertainty about self-identity, sexuality, life goals and
values, career choices, friendships. There is a deep-seated feeling that one is flawed, defective, damaged or bad in some way, with a tendency to go to extremes in thinking, feeling or behavior. Under extreme stress or in severe cases there can be brief psychotic episodes with loss of contact with reality or bizarre behavior or symptoms. Even in less severe instances, there is often significant disruption of relationships and work performance. The depression which accompanies this disorder can cause much suffering and can lead to serious suicide attempts."

The only web site I can think of that may help you is:

https://www.ldscounseling.com

I am not a psychologist, and I don't know anybody that is going through with this decease but I am a LDS member so if you feel to talk with someone, just send me a Private Message and I'll give you my e-mail address and we can 'chat' with each other.  All the best and May God bless you and your family.
Lots of love,
LDS_forever

Post Date: 11th Jan, 2003 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hi LDS_forever,
Thanks for the information.  I have been concentrating on this subject for some time now.  I'm really not looking for counseling in the matter, but I'm looking for saints that are or have been in the same situation.  Looking for actual case histories to see how they handled the abuse and critism that come from the mate with BPD.  Knowing that such a condition will be eridicated upon passing through the veil, yet having to deal with the unbelieveable pain and misery that non-bp's must eudure is quite possibly one of lifes greatest tests.  
Am I posting this individually to you or is the world reading this also?  Appreciate your respose.

15th Jan, 2003 - 1:54pm / Post ID: #

but I'm looking for saints that are or have been in the same situation

I knew a good brother who married a woman with this same problem I believe or at least something similar to it. She had to take constant medication to 'control' her problem which was at times very difficult for him to deal with and started to affect his own ability to work and concentrate. They had a legal divorce but not a temple divorce.

I understand he was allowed to marry again for time and eternity to his second wife while still being sealed to the first because of the problem his first wife has. He told me this permission came through his local Stake Presidency.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Feb, 2003 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Did you ever hear from your friend about the particulars regarding their civil divorce but no temple cancellation?  

2nd Feb, 2003 - 8:57am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Borderline Personality Disorder Mormon Doctrine Studies

Did you ever hear from your friend about the particulars regarding their civil divorce but no temple cancellation? 

I have not heard from him yet. Sometimes he travels a lot and may be gone for weeks at a time. Here is the email I sent:

CODE
I have an LDS forum where someone
put a thread called,
'Borderline Personality Disorder'
I believe your first wife had a similar
problem? He wants to link up with other
members to help him with his wife who
has the same problem. I was thinking you
could join the forum and then go to the
LDS Deep Doctrine board and tell your
experiences about it. Here is the link;http://www.bordeglobal.com/forum

If I hear anything at all I will post it here as I gather you have put notification to use on this thread.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Mormons & Borderline Personality Disorder

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,