The Genesis Group - Afro American LDS

The Genesis Group Afro American Lds - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th May, 2009 - 11:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
18th Jan, 2003 - 8:36pm / Post ID: #

There is a group in Utah that has organized itself to be a place where members of the same racial origin, mostly Afro America, gather to discuss issues regarding the 'Black' man in the Church.

These meetings I was made to understand were sanctioned by the First Presidency and has roots in the history of the Church.

I had chance to attend one of their meetings and meet its' leader Darius Gray. In the meeting they discussed 'issues' that occur based on one's race.

What are your feelings on it? Do groups like this give positive influence? If they are needed, it means that there are issues in the Church with regards to race? Aren't we to be more Brotherly towards each other and as one? If so, why would we need such a group? What are your feelings?

DARIUS GRAY RECOGNIZED FOR CONTRIBUTIONS TO CIVIL RIGHTS
See https://www.sltrib.com/2003/jan/01172003/utah/21008.asp

In honor of the upcoming Martin Luther King Jr. holiday in the United States, Darius Gray, president of the Genesis Group, an organization for African American Latter-day Saints, is being honored for his commitment to civil rights and diversity. The Salt Lake branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has chosen the leader as this year's recipient of the Martin Luther King Jr. Award.

Sponsored Links:
21st Jan, 2003 - 8:18pm / Post ID: #

LDS American Afro Group Genesis The

I am surprised no one has touched this issue, but here is the latest update on the Genesis Group:

DARIUS GRAY--PIONEER IN THE GOSPEL
See https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,4500...0027642,00.html

Darius Gray takes a lot of questions such as: Why would an African-American man join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1964? "I found out the night before I was to be baptized that I wouldn't be able to hold the priesthood," Gray remembered. "I said, 'No way would I be baptized into that Church tomorrow.' But I took it to God that night." He prayed and heard what he today calls "a succinct answer" that this was to be his faith, built on "the restored gospel of Jesus Christ."

Post Date: 8th Jun, 2005 - 12:01pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

The Genesis Group - Afro American LDS Studies Doctrine Mormon

June 11th: - LDS Genesis Group Meetings

Join us at Anzak Park, 1840 East 7200 South, Salt Lake City, from 4-7 p.m. for this awesome annual tradition! Hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken will be provided; bring a salad, side dish, or dessert to share. Please RSVP so organizers can plan for enough meat To learn more about this group visit ldsgenesisgroup.org

Post Date: 8th Jun, 2008 - 7:57pm / Post ID: #

Annual Genesis Group Picnic

Hundreds of Latter-day Saints met for food, games and celebration at the annual Genesis Group picnic Saturday. The feeling at Anzak Park in Cottonwood Heights, Utah, was excitement, as many members of the Church's auxiliary support group for Black Saints voiced their eagerness for the commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the Church's 1978 revelation extending the Priesthood to all worthy males.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700232986,00.html

The Genesis Group - Afro American LDS (Hover)

11th Dec, 2008 - 1:21am / Post ID: #

I am surprised to that no one has touched this. Perhaps not to many travel over to this side of the world. yes I think that the Genesis group is a good thing. But I am not African American so I cannot attest to how it helps them. But from my perspective I feel that there needs to be a space where such things can be talked about and our African American brethren and sisters can meet. I have heard nothing but good things from those who participate in the group.

11th Dec, 2008 - 8:41pm / Post ID: #

To an extent it is good that they meet, but in an eternal sense aren't we trying to get to the point where we do not see each other as black or white, or have any other distinctions that separate us.

In time I would hope that the need for a separate organization that focuses on "black" questions will not be needed. It will be a good day when members both white and black do not see each other as different.

But when will that day be. Relatively soon, most of the membership will have no living memory of the prohibition of the Priesthood to a certain group. There needs to be a time when reconciliation happens and people live as brothers and sisters in Christ rather then separate groups.

We must acknowledge the mistakes of our past, but should not let this hinder our ability to live as a united people.

I hope we come to the point when the Saints of the Church take the following to heart.
2 Nephi 26:33

33: he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Jan, 2009 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

The Genesis Group Afro American LDS

QUOTE (Dbackers)
In time I would hope that the need for a separate organization that focuses on "black" questions will not be needed.

You know, when I first invited to attened one of their meetings that was my first thought, however having become a bit wiser I see now where such groups may need to be formed on a case by case basis. I do not come from slave parents, but I imagine if you did it might mean I might want / need to talk about a few things and maybe my perspective with those who can empathize and better understand me. Maybe there are Members who make remarks, or say things that bring hurt. There are a lot of reasons for this group so long as it does not become a religion unto itself it is fine for me.

Post Date: 13th May, 2009 - 11:32am / Post ID: #

The Genesis Group Afro American LDS Mormon Doctrine Studies

Genesis Group Activities 2009

June 6: Genesis Group Summer Picnic, Anzak Park Pavilion, 1850 East 7200 South, Cottonwood Heights, Utah

June 7: Genesis Group Fireside, 7 p.m., 6710 S. 1300 E., Salt Lake City; Elder Ronald A. Rasband. Ref. Ldsgenesisgroup.com

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: The Genesis Group - Afro American LDS

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,