Wisdom Teeth: Did You Get Them Out Yet?

Wisdom Teeth Yet - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 5th Mar, 2005 - 1:26pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Tonsils, Wisdom Teeth and all the Pain!
12th Feb, 2004 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Got them out?

Do you have your wisdom teeth or tonsils still? It is like a nightmare to have a wisdom tooth coming up, bleeding, causing sores and in some cases a fever, bursting through your gums and causing pain and discomfort like never before (Yeah I tried to be descriptive). I had two out already on one side of my mouth and will probably be taking one out soon that has been bothering me for over two years now, yep two years (Yes, I am a glutton for pain eh?). So what about you… how is your mouth doing? By the way, have scientists found out the reason for having wisdom teeth in the first place?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Feb, 2004 - 7:01am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yet Them You Teeth Wisdom

Never had to have my wisdom teeth out, nor my tonsils. Have had several teeth pulled though. The last one I thought the Dentist was going to climb up on my chest to get a good enough grip to yank the tooth out. He ended up chiseling it out! Thank Goodness for novocain!!! AND an understanding Dr. He stopped frequently to tell me that everything really was okay, just that the root was not giving way. That I was okay and my jaw really would not dislocate from all the tugging and pounding.

23rd May, 2004 - 12:44pm / Post ID: #

Wisdom Teeth: Did You Get Them Out Yet? Health & Special Psychology

EEEEeeeek! Oh, Agene... I'm so sorry you had to go through that...

I still have my two lower wisdom teeth -- never had any problems like you so graphically described, JB smile.gif , but I did have some other problems in the upper ones so bad that that they had to come out.

When I was 6 years old I had my tonsils out because I was always so sickly and couldn't eat very well because they were swollen so much. One of my sisters had hers out at the same time and we were in the same room in the hospital -- a huge long room full of sick kids! We wrote notes to each other with big letters from across the room smile.gif It was almost fun.

My daughter has the same trouble with huge tonsils, but she's not as sick as I was at that age. The doctor says she does not have to have them out, and that as she gets older they will settle down.

Roz

23rd May, 2004 - 12:52pm / Post ID: #

I had all my wisdom teeth removed at the same time just a couple of years ago. Still have my tonsils though, can't say that they've bothered me. I always had problems with my wisdom teeth and finally it was time for them to go. My understanding of wisdom teeth is that they do not have enough room to grow or 'erupt' which causes them to become impacted, and very difficult to keep clean. The impaction coupled with infection from not being cleaned properly is why they eventually have to be removed. A main cause of this has been due to changes in man's diet from the caveman days to now. Loss of teeth and having to chew more frequently allowed the wisdom teeth to grow properly and become fully erupted. Today, with the age of processed food and less cavitities (better oral hygiene), impaction is more likely, therefore, the recommendation to have the wisdom teeth removed. Why, you say, do I know this much about wisdom teeth? I did some research on it when I had to have mine removed because I asked the same questions posed here in this topic wink.gif

23rd May, 2004 - 7:19pm / Post ID: #

No, I don't have my wisdom teeth removed, I have all of them and they never bothered me (at least so far) but because I plan to get braces they may remove some of my teeth on the back...just the thought is scary, but I want perfect teeth...oh weel...that's the price to pay wink.gif

7th Sep, 2004 - 2:25am / Post ID: #

I have all my wisdom teeth, although 2 of them will never appear according to my dentist. I have had 3 teeth pulled though, because of decay. One took 3 hours for the dentist to pull. He used 6 shots of novacaine and gas, so I felt no pain, but I wouldn't want to go through that again. Paul has had 3 teeth pulled within the last month, you'll have to ask him how he feels about that. As for tonsils, I had mine removed when I was 12. I went into the hospital on December 26th, nice Christmas present huh? Actually I had been suffering so much from them in the 3 months prior that the doctor said he had no choice but to remove them. I don't miss them at all. Really though all of this is pie compared to when I broke my arm and needed to have metal bars and screws put in to hold the bones in place, now that was real 'fun'. laugh.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th Mar, 2005 - 10:22am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Wisdom Teeth You Them Yet

Well, I have had both experiences, when I was about 12 or 13. Believe it or not, my mouth was too small for all of my teeth laugh.gif , so I had 4 wisdom teeth removed. They were not pulled, they had to be cut out. I was told after waking up that the procedure was pretty long because the teeth were so impacted. It was a horrible experience (for one thing I was vomiting blood up all the way home and that evening), but I haven't had to go through the pain of having them bother me, like JB has. I think that would be worse. That same year, I had my my tonsils and adenoids removed because I had constant tonsillitis, strep throat, and ear infections. (I think that last one had to do with the adenoids being removed) Then when I was 30, I had to have some surgeries. The doctors had difficulties intubating me, and then they were unable to extubate me for a while. After an emergency laryngoscopy, a sleep study for sleep apnea that I had, and being diagnosed with very large lingual tonsils, I ended up having my lingual tonsils removed. The palatine tonsils are the ones that are normally removed in a tonsillectomy and they can be seen during an exam at the back of the throat. The lingual tonsils are located at the back of the tongue and cannot be seen by an examination, but only through a laryngoscopy and usually don't need to be removed. From my experience (and what I was told after healing), a lingual tonsillectomy is a bit more complicated, can be more painful, and take longer to heal. I am only able to remember so much about my first tonsillectomy, but I am pretty sure that the second one hurt a lot more, but now I can breathe through my throat so clearly. I never knew the difference of how large my lingual tonsils were and how much they were blocking my airway until after their removal.

5th Mar, 2005 - 1:26pm / Post ID: #

Wisdom Teeth You Them Yet Psychology Special & Health

I had all four wisdom teeth out when I was in the Marine Corps at 19. My son had his all out around 16 or 17. When my son had his out, the dentist told us there is a danger of facial nerve damage if you have them removed after the roots are fully developed. Apparently, there is a set of nerves that run right through the area the roots generally grow. If that nerve is damaged when the teeth are pulled, you can have some permanent facial numbness or tingling. We were told this because my son's roots were already fully developed at what was considered a young age for this development to occur. So, he was at risk of this happening...it didn't though.

I still have my tonsils and adenoids. I believe recent studies indicate that most children with problems will grow out of the problems if you give them time. Not as many have these removed any more. Aparently, they do help in fighting infections, so if it is possible to keep them, you are better off in the long run. When I was a kid, it was rare not to have these removed. Now, it is unusual to have them removed...maybe not quite rare, yet.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Wisdom Teeth: Did You Get Them Out Yet?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,