Mormon Exorcism - Page 2 of 12

While doing a precursory search on Gospel - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Feb, 2004 - 8:38am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (12) »
Mormon Exorcism
Casting out demons from the body... Demon possession. Specific ordinance for casting out evil spirits?
26th Feb, 2004 - 11:30am / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism - Page 2

That is very different from the subject of exorcism. Maybe a new thread about lingering/wandering spirits since we are confronted by those on the other side on a daily basis as a 'normal' thing even if unseen some are able to feel or 'know' of their presence, but again, different from this topic..

Sponsored Links:
26th Feb, 2004 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

Exorcism Mormon

Are you sure that they are different? I look at it as different degrees. We can be tormented just as much (maybe even more) by a "lingering" spirit that has attached itself to us as we can by a "possession."

And, from our discussion so far, aren't the responses the same?

Also, from an LDS point of view, I think we can see that it really is all the same, as true evil spirits (Satan's minions) are the same type of being as a human spirit that is lingering and causing mischief or worse.

NightHawk

26th Feb, 2004 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism Studies Doctrine Mormon

Are you sure that they are different? I look at it as different degrees. We can be tormented just as much (maybe even more) by a "lingering" spirit that has attached itself to us as we can by a "possession."

And, from our discussion so far, aren't the responses the same?

I think they may be two different topics, since could you use exorcism if a devil or demon have not entered to the body of somebody but is only being attached to?.

26th Feb, 2004 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Exorcism Mormon

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 26-Feb 04, 12:54 PM)
I think they may be two different topics, since could you use exorcism if a devil or demon have not entered to the body of somebody but is only being attached to?.

Maybe. I'll leave it at this.

As far as I know, there is no specific "exorcism" ordinance in the Priesthood. It seems to me that if there is a demon, devil, spirit of a wicked person, or just lingering lost soul either possessing a person or "attached" to a person, the Priesthood response would be the same.

Not having had such an experience directly (I have had occasion where I was plagued with evil spirits one night) I can't say for sure.

NightHawk

26th Feb, 2004 - 10:25pm / Post ID: #

Exorcism Mormon

Well here is how I would look at it and you can elaborate if you wish...

As I said earlier... exorcism is required when the evil spirit is in possession or control of the individual. this means in effect... you have given up your agency to an evil spirit, you are not yourself, you are not in full control anymore.

Spirits coming to tempt or 'harass' you as described being 'attached' does not mean that your agency is taken away or that you become limited to learn from it if needs be or simply pray that Angels or the Spirit forces them away. Christ has also given us a patter for banishing such evil ones as in His own temptations and when Satan followed him. Get behind me...

Whereas in exorcism others are needed to help the individual.

26th Feb, 2004 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism

I just added a thread about Lingering/wandering spirits and LDS experiences maybe there we can discuss more about what we were talking here.

Now going back to exorcism, do you all have any quotes or links or books where it mentions if the early brethren used it and how they did it?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Feb, 2004 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism - Page 2

"Joseph Smith went to Colesville to preach and hold meetings, probably because he knew that the Knights were ready to receive the gospel. While there, he challenged Newel Knight to pray vocally. In the attempt, Newel was attacked by an evil spirit that lifted him from the floor "and tossed him about most fearfully." Neighbors gathered, and then saw the Prophet command the devil in the name of Jesus Christ to depart. Newel felt great relief and gladly accepted baptism. (This exorcism was the first miracle performed in the restored church.) 7 He became the first of more than sixty of the Knight clan to join the Church." (Times and Seasons, vol. 4 no. 1 (November 15, 1842) 12-13.)

https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...part%20i%20.htm

Post Date: 27th Feb, 2004 - 8:38am / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism
A Friend

Mormon Exorcism Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

While doing a precursory search on Gospel link about exorcism I came across two seperate citations that intrigued me.

Satan has a substitute for every doctrine and ordinance of the gospel. "In imitation of the true order whereby devils are cast out of people, false ministers (having no actual priesthood power) attempt to cast them out by exorcism . This ungodly practice was probably more common anciently than it is now, because few people today believe either in miracles or in the casting out of literal devils. But over the years it has not been uncommon for so-called priests to attempt to expel evil spirits from persons or drive them away from particular locations by incantations, conjuration, or adjuration. Commonly some holy name is used in these false rituals." (Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed., p. 259.)
13-16. How literal a thing it is to be possessed by evil spirits. Devils are spirit men and women; by conformity to laws but slightly understood by us, they have power to enter and control the bodies of mortals. Then by the power of the priesthood, but not through incantations or exorcism, they may be cast out of their illegally inhabited tenements. See Commentary I, pp. 166-169; 266-269; 307-314.)
(Bruce R. McConkie, Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965-1973], 2: .)

And then;

Josephus informs us that the Essenes healed the sick, fn and in Jubilees x. 12-14, fn angels teach Noah about medicines to combat sickness sent by evil spirits. Dupont-Sommer also cites the Prayer of Na bonid, fragments recovered from Qumran cave IV, fn as an example of  and healing. His assertion is that the therapeutic stories are rather late--Essene--accretions to the legends. There are, to be sure, very definite affinities with New Testament miracles: (1) sickness is associated with and caused by sin; (2) healing includes exorcism of the evil spirit and therefore a forgiveness of sins preceding the healing; (3) prayer is often offered before the ordinance of the laying on of hands; (4) the healing is effected through the authoritative laying on of the hands. fn
Abraham in Egypt: a Collation of Evidence for the Case of the Missing Wife by Thomas W. Mackay Fn, BYU Studies, vol. 10 (1969-1970), Number 4 - Summer 1970 436.)

These lead me to the following conclusion. Perhaps we look for the exorcism to be some extraordinary type of ordinance that we may not be completely yet familiar with because of preconceived notions reflecting on the worlds construction of exorcism.

When in reality it may be as simple as the ordinary annointing and blessing for the healing of the sick or in this case the wording being for the casting out of the particular spirit by a pair of Melchizedek Priesthood holders.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Exorcism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,