Drugs In Sports - Page 2 of 3

Looks like MLB is going to investigate Barry - Page 2 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 30th Mar, 2006 - 2:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 14th Feb, 2006 - 1:43am / Post ID: #

Drugs In Sports
A Friend

Drugs In Sports - Page 2

I was being slightly 'tongue in cheek', and deep down I probably agree with your statements.
I do have an issue with the whole role model thing though. I believe that a superstar sportsman has the right to be first and foremost a human being, I don't see the justification on putting these people on pedestils. After all everyone makes errors of judgement.

Getting this back to the drugs issue. The 'drug cheats' make a choice to take steriods or masking agents or whatever and that is their conscious decision. Most of them would not be in the position of being a 'sports star' without the drugs in the first placeand therefore would not be role models without drugs...

Yes I do agree that drug takers are stupid and wrong, but it won't stop them.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Feb, 2006 - 1:54am / Post ID: #

Drugs In Sports
A Friend

Sports Drugs

I disagree. Whether an athlete wants it or not, he/she gets put in the spotlight as a role model. While it may be unwelcome, it's part of the job, and that's something they are all aware of when deciding to go that route in life. While I do not think they should be looked at as perfect, because they are human beings and make mistakes, I do think that they should be thinking beyond themselves when they make some of these decisions. THAT, to me, is a human thing to do.

I think the issue is that because of the drugs there has been a higher standard that athletes have to reach in order to become a professional. Would they have never gotten there without the drugs? I'm sure they would have if drugs would have been outlawed in the beginning. True athletes with natural and skilled abilities are going nowhere because they don't jump on the train of steroids. That, to me, is wrong. I don't think it's right to condone the usage of drugs no matter WHO they are. We have high school students, children, using these drugs because their coaches say it's okay, and they see the professionals doing it as well. I have read stories (Yay Reader's Digest) about high school students who have had heart attacks because they used enhancement drugs. There have been personal testimonies about how some coaches even push for them to use them. That is wrong. We live in a society that tries to sugar coat everything, and we try to make everything seem right in some light or fashion.

Drug usage is wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. I don't care who you are, what you do for a living, or how much money you have in the bank. If you cannot make it to where you or using your brain, your natural talent and skills, then you don't deserve to be there.

Wow...That sounded really harsh. I didn't mean for it to be. It's a subject I feel very strongly about. We had problems with one of our high school football teams using steroids because their coach said it was okay. Amazingly enough, they made it to state finals several years in a row. They beat out all the district teams because they were all hopped on muscle enhancers. How is this fair? How is it safe? It's not. Many of those boys were constantly ill, but the pressure kept them going.

14th Feb, 2006 - 2:16am / Post ID: #

Drugs In Sports Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I disagree. Whether an athlete wants it or not, he/she gets put in the spotlight as a role model. While it may be unwelcome, it's part of the job, and that's something they are all aware of when deciding to go that route in life. While I do not think they should be looked at as perfect, because they are human beings and make mistakes, I do think that they should be thinking beyond themselves when they make some of these decisions. THAT, to me, is a human thing to do.

I totally disagree with you on this and I agree with what Myinitials said before, just because someone has decide to become an athlete does not make them a role model and whoever CHOOSE to make them one, it is their fault, not the athelete/star's fault. When they make their decisions (just as anybody else) they have the right to decide what is good/bad for THEM, after all, they are living their own lives and whether it may affect other people or not, it is not their responsibility to baby sit anyone and wonder whether the decision taken will affect a total stranger.

Most of them would not be in the position of being a 'sports star' without the drugs

Then they chose the wrong career. Drugs that enhance performance is "cheating" and there is no way that can be rewarded.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 14th Feb, 2006 - 2:18am

Post Date: 14th Feb, 2006 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

Drugs In Sports
A Friend

Page 2 Sports Drugs

I still feel that they have a responsibility to act in a way according to the fame that has come upon them. I feel that way with all celebrity types, be it athletes, actresses, etc. I, personally, am always checking myself when I'm out in public. Granted, I'm not the type to go out and do anything bad, but I always have it in the back of mind to put out a good reputation. I run into my girls from work all the time, and I don't even want to think what they would thing if they saw me in public dressed half naked or smoking a cigarette. Whether I would want it or not, that would put it in their heads that it is okay to do that, when it's not. Being an athlete, they are put in the spotlight, and children do look up to them. They may not have asked for it, but children do look up to them. How can you fault a child for that? They see this amazing football player throw a sixty yard perfect spiral pass, and they're awed by it. They suddenly want to be "just like them." It does come with the territory. Just like a celebrity, somebody is always watching, and that's a cold hard fact. That's one reason why so many people don't like fame, because they are constantly being watched. That fact cannot be denied.

14th Feb, 2006 - 2:41am / Post ID: #

Sports Drugs

Being an athlete, they are put in the spotlight, and children do look up to them. They may not have asked for it, but children do look up to them. How can you fault a child for that? They see this amazing football player throw a sixty yard perfect spiral pass, and they're awed by it. They suddenly want to be "just like them."

It's definitely not the child's fault neither the athlete's fault. It is the responsibility and obligation of parents to teach their children who they should look after. If an athlete took the unwise decision to use drugs, are we blaming him/her if a child becomes a drug abuser?. It sounds very silly to me. Again, it is within the home and responsibility of the parents to teach the correct principles to the kids and specifically teach them that just because an athlete is great at sports, does not mean they do not have weaknesses or faults. Athletes are NOT a replacement for what the parents ONLY should provide: A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR THEIR CHILDREN.

Drugs are something extremely serious and and I notice that in sports some people do not seem very concern about its use. Just because some athletes are not using cocaine but they are using steroids, it does not make it right. Both are dangerous drugs.

Post Date: 14th Feb, 2006 - 6:35am / Post ID: #

Drugs In Sports
A Friend

Drugs In Sports

To be just like them.... that is the root of the arguement. I am a father of 3 and I always encourage my children to observe their sports heroes, to attempt to mimc their performances, and to try and emulate the things that help their heroes win. I believe that that is where it should end, and I have taught my children to ignore the rest of the hype. I don't place more emphasis on a sports star who is a drunk driver, or a burglar, than I would if the person was my neighbour, or co-worker or the guy I saw in the drvie thru. As long as his/her performance 'on the field' is as good as can be, and sober, then I and happy.
In my opinion the belief that things should be bigger and stronger to be better, is fuelled by mostly american sports. Take american football, the padding makes the players look bigger and stronger than is normally possible. Look at WWF, all a dream, but the bodies are totally beyond the norm, and it is celebrated because of a marketing ploy so a couple of people can get rich. Greed has driven athletes to the extreme and drugs are one means of getting there. Children see these athletes and there larger than life hype and get sucked in by it, okay, not their fault. But surely a well placed word or two from a concerned parent would bring the image back into line slightly.
Do we need to disinfect the world of all germs to protect our children, isn't this taking away their ability to learn to chose right from wrong...?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Mar, 2006 - 11:32am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Drugs Sports - Page 2

THE TRUTH ABOUT BARRY BONDS AND STEROIDS

Excerpted from Game of Shadows, by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, to be published this month by Gotham Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA, Inc.). 2006 by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams.
Ref. https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/maga...0313/index.html

30th Mar, 2006 - 2:51pm / Post ID: #

Drugs Sports Movies Music Fashion & Sports - Page 2

Looks like MLB is going to investigate Barry Bonds afterwards.

Baseball to begin probe into steroid use by Bonds, others

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball will investigate alleged steroid use by Barry Bonds and other players, and plans to hire U.S. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell to lead the effort.

Selig's decision to launch the probe, first reported Wednesday, comes in the wake of Game of Shadows, a book by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters detailing alleged extensive steroid use by Bonds and other baseball stars. The commissioner has said for several weeks that he was evaluating how to respond to the book

https://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9345734

I am not quite sure what can come of this investigation, but it should bring a lot of skeletons out of the closet for a lot of big name players. This may be more of a detriment to the game of baseball, but in my opinion, it needs to be done.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Drugs In Sports

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,