Play By Post D&D Beyond The Veil Create Character - Page 2 of 2

This game isn't being maintained so - Page 2 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 10th Sep, 2011 - 7:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Cleric
Cleric
Wizard
Wizard
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  1 2 
Closed
Felthalas as Dungeon Master Dungeons and Dragons
28th Aug, 2011 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

Play By Post D&D Beyond The Veil Create Character - Page 2

Basically,here's an explanation of the attack sequence in a nutshell:

- The full turn typically required for your psion to aquire focus is done away with. In my opinion, this rule is tedious and slows game-play. Instead, your character will simply role a skill check for concetration along with initiative to maintain the proper focus to cast psionic powers. This should be done ONLY ONCE per encounter [I will assume for the remainder of the encounter that your character is able to remain focused unless caught flat-footed]. This role is also used to determine whether your character is able to mask his psionic display or not. [This is why I suggested your character may want to reroll his constitution. Your character will need a higher constitution to afford him a bonus when rolling concentration.]

- Having acquired focus, your character will then cast the psionic power as a standard attack action. Your character will use his level as a base attack bonus and his INT modifier as a bonus. [I notice your intelligence is somewhat low also, if you wish you may reroll this as well.] Your character will make the attack roll versus the opponent's "Touch AC" [unarmored]. So, in answer to your question, yes your power roll is indeed an opposed check against your opponent's touch AC.

- Also, I realize that the 3.5 rules state that your character has to specialize in a particular discipline. I'm going to waive that rule in my campaign. If your character wishes to be a "generalist" that is allowable. Meaning your character is free to choose powers within any discipline without need of the "expanded knowledge" feat. Your character can still lean towards being a telepath in this instance, but is not limited to those powers alone.

- Also your character will still use the traditional power progression chart to determine which powers he is able to learn, but the number of times powers can be cast is only limited by your character's number of attacks in a single round.

- For attuning powers to a psionic totem, your character may attune a total number of powers equal to his total number of skill ranks divided by 4 rounded down. So, yes, three in your case. Hence, your character is permitted to choose an additional power.

- Augmenting powers will work as follows: Your character can choose to forfeit an attack action to combine its strength with a following attack action. Therefore, your character can double the bonuses of the attack roll as well as the damage inflicted by the attack or the duration of the power's effect.

Does that help to clear things up?

Reconcile Edited: Felthalas on 28th Aug, 2011 - 3:31pm

Sponsored Links:
28th Aug, 2011 - 10:03pm / Post ID: #

Character Create Veil The Dragons and Dungeons Post Play

Yes, thanks for taking your time to explain.

rerolled Con and Int, Con was the same undecided.gif

Character: Deke Bruen
Player: iCon
Classes: Psion(Telepath) 1
Level: 1
Race: Half Elf
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Religion: Undecided
Experience: 0
Hit Points: 4 (wow, I'm not going to live very long)

Base Attack Bonus: 0

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 11
Intelligence: 17 (+3)
Wisdom: 15 (+2)
Charisma: 16 (+3)

Fortitude: 0
Reflex: 2
Will: 4

Initiative: 2

Melee: 0
Ranged: 2

Money: 12 gp 9 sp (I only started with 75gp as suggested by d&d wiki)

Armor Class: 12

Skills: (some pluses from ranks others from feats or race)

Bluff 3 + 1 = 4
Concentration 0 + 1 = 1
Diplomacy 3 + 2 + 1 = 6
Disguise 3 + 2 = 5
Forgery 1 + 2 = 3
Gather Information 3 + 1 + 2 = 6
Knowledge (arcana) 1 + 1 = 2
Listen 2 + 1 = 3
Search 1 + 1 = 2
Sense Motive 2 + 1 = 3
Sleight of Hand 2 + 1 = 3
Spot 2 + 1 = 3

Autohypnosis 2 + 1 = 3
Knowledge (psionics) 1 + 1 = 2
Psicraft 1 + 1 = 2

Equipment:

Dagger (1D4, 19-20/x2)
Dart x5 (1D4, x2, 20 ft.)
Backpack
Bedroll
Caltrops (a part of Deke's street performance)
Chalk
Flint and steel
Ink vial
Ink pen
Lamp (common)
Parchment sheets x5
Tent
Waterskin
Monk's robe (heavily modified with about 10gp worth of adornments, worth 15gp)

Feats/Specials:

Deceitful
Narrow mind [psionic]

Powers:

1 Charm, Psionic: Makes one person your friend.
1 Mindlink: You forge a limited mental bond with another creature.

2 power points/day

Languages:

Common
Illithid (Mind Flayer)
Elven

Half-Elf:
"¢ Immune to magical sleep
"¢ +2 racial bonus on saves vs. Enchantments
"¢ Low-light vision
"¢ +1 racial bonus on listen, search, and spot checks(applied)
"¢ +2 racial bonus on diplomacy and gather information checks(applied)

Impart Essence: Robe
Deke's quick hands couple with his ability to preempt movements to give him the skill required to grab an opponent's weapon with both hands and wrench it away.

Being a Telepath, Deke has limited precognition in combat. As an immediate free action, he may negate all damage from one strike as a "Telepathic Dodge."

Once per turn, against a declared target, Deke can use an "Empathetic Disarm". If an enemy lands a hit(melee), roll a D20+dex+cha against the opponent's modified attack roll. Deke immediately drops his weapon.
If the disarm check fails combat proceeds as normal unless your character opts to use "Telepathic Dodge."
On a success he catches the opponent's weapon and disarms him. Furthermore, if the disarm check succeeds, a limited psionic blast is released and the target is stunned for 1d4 rounds. The opponent would have to make a successful will save to avoid being stunned. If the enemy rolled a critical, Deke cannot attempt to disarm in this way.

Some restrictions apply, as per a disarm action. I.e. For well secured items

28th Aug, 2011 - 11:00pm / Post ID: #

Play By Post D&D Beyond The Veil Create Character Archive Pathfinder / D&D

ICon, everything appears to be in order.

I cannot, however, allow the Empathic Disarm ability to be attempted "once per turn" as that would present an unfair advantage. Rather, your character is able to attempt the disarm ability ONCE PER ENCOUNTER against a named target.

If the disarm check fails combat proceeds as normal unless your character opts to use "Telepathic Dodge." If the disarm check succeeds, a limited psionic blast is released and the target is stunned for 1d4 rounds.

[Also be aware: "Telepathic Dodge" can only be performed ONCE PER ENCOUNTER as well.]

Also, have you given thought to what your "psionic totem" might be?

And please also note that your character is entitled to one other psionic power as per the modified rules.

You don't have to resubmit your character. Just be aware of the mechanics for Telepathic Dodge and Empathic Disarm and be sure to reply to me with your choice for the additional psionic power and your choice in a Psionic Totem.

Other than that, please feel free to begin in the city of Morcia's Keep.

Reconcile Edited: Felthalas on 28th Aug, 2011 - 11:20pm

29th Aug, 2011 - 10:01am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Character Create Veil The Dragons and Dungeons Post Play

Ah, sorry. I was copy pasting and missed that...

My 'modified robe' will be my totem. In fact some more background on that. Silvery threads spiral inwards on the front and back and a few small gems are also attached.

Control Object will be my extra power.

29th Aug, 2011 - 10:09am / Post ID: #

Character Create Veil The Dragons and Dungeons Post Play

Alright iCon,

Your character is ready for gameplay. Please begin in the city of Morcia's Keep.

Be sure to read the first posting within the game thread. There is a plot lead and a helpful description of the city's layout.

Post Date: 10th Sep, 2011 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Play By Post D&D Beyond The Veil Create Character

This game isn't being maintained so I'm going to lock this thread and the main game so it doesn't confuse new players.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Play By Post D&D Beyond The Veil Create Character

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.