You Know You Are A True Trini When You Say This

You True Trini This - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 22nd May, 2004 - 12:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 20th May, 2004 - 8:38am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I'm American and married to a Trini. Before I met my wife , I thought all islanders sound the same.I could'nt distinguish a Trinidadian from a Jamaican. I know , I know , don't beat me up too bad Trini's. But when the average American hears a West Indian accent. We always assume their Jamaican. I know it's wrong and islanders get offended when this happens. But i'm only speaking from experience. For those that have visited the United States , you all know what I'm talking about. O.K. let me begin. These are some of the expressions and words Trini's use , that help me identify a Trini in the United States.

** Yuh making joke
- I call my brother in law to tell him my unit is deploying to Iraq. He says "yuh making joke , yes.
-I call my wife to tell her Sadam has been captured. She says "yuh making joke , yes.

**Oh Gawsh
Oh Gawsh is usually said when a Trini is annoyed or they say Oh Gawsh after a good laugh or joke.
- Like the first time I tried dancing to Soca. My in laws were on the floor dieing with laugh and saying oh gawsh.
- The first time I ate Curry Chicken and Roti. And I asked "where's my fork and knife " Again I got laughed at and a bunch of oh gawsh's.
- Or when my wife's best friend was watching on tape a Super Blue performance. And his dentures come flying out. He picked them up , put them back in his mouth. And continued to jump up and wave without missing a beat. My wife's friend was on the floor in tears and sayin oh gawsh over and over.
**Boyee
-On a cold day in New Jersey ( Jan ) My brither in law opens the door to get the daily newspaper. He comes back in and says " I staying inside today. It cold out there boyee.
-When I see a Trini friend on the street. They say ay , what going on boyee.

**Bad drive
- My wife's best friend is telling some American friends about a car accident that almost happened to my wife. She said a German lady give she bad drive and almost make me crash.

**Pipe (water faucet)
- My wife yells out to me to turn the pipe off. The bath tub was about to overfill.

If you say these things you are a true Trini. Well I hope i did'nt offend any Trini's ?
my wife and I come from two different cultures and we always poke fun at each other. But like they say, opposites attract.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th May, 2004 - 10:11am / Post ID: #

This You Trini True Are You You

Ain't no fear man, those things be regular talk for Trinis. We also have some of those on the jokes board, do a search for Trini jokes when you get there.

22nd May, 2004 - 4:26am / Post ID: #

You Know You Are A True Trini When You Say This Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

laugh.gif I know what you mean Alex, I'm a foreigner here too and I heard those expressions every day. What about 'Yuh for real?' or when they steups (spelling?), "Me aint know' 'She told she to get out'. laugh.gif

Post Date: 22nd May, 2004 - 7:17am / Post ID: #

A Friend

laugh.gif ! My wife says "Yuh for real and Me ain't know" all the time. The funny thing is I've been married to a Trini now for 7 years. I catch myself from time to time using Trini expressions. My wife and American friends have pointed it out to me. At times I don't even notice it. It just comes out.

22nd May, 2004 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

laugh.gif it is happening to me too! I always ask my husband if I sound too Spanish still rolleyes.gif and he always ask me why I want to sound like a Trini, is not that I want to sound like a Trini, I just don't want to sound like a foreigner but in any case, I look like one therefore, when I'm out they always notice although some Trinis think I am an Indian laugh.gif:-->laugh.gif
What about 'Yuh dotish or wha?'

> TOPIC: You Know You Are A True Trini When You Say This

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,