Is Voodoo A Common Practice In Trinidad?

Is Voodoo Common Practice Trinidad - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 25th Jan, 2018 - 8:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Top  Is Voodoo Common Practice In Trinidad
Post Date: 4th Jun, 2004 - 7:21am / Post ID: #

A Friend

When people find out my wife is from Trinidad. They always ask me if she's into Voodoo. My wife and I get annoyed at this question. Some people say this is the reason why they don't interact with West Indians. From my understanding Voodoo does exist in Trinidad, but it's called Obeah (is that the correct name & spelling J.B.) My wife says the part of Trinidad she's from, Voodoo is common among the East Indians. Now I know for a fact that Haiti is notorius for Voodoo. What are your thoughts on Voodoo ?

Is Voodoo A Common Practice In Trinidad? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
4th Jun, 2004 - 10:02am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Practice Common Voodoo Is

Well I know it exists here, but I do not know to what extent. I am sure it is plentiful among certain classes but since I am not involved with it myself I cannot give any details. As for my personal opinion - I think the art form is mixed in with primitive and Satanic rituals since a lot of it is based on wishful thinking.

UPDATE: Since you asked this specifically about Trinidad I will move it as we have a board for Trinidad based questions and discussion.

4th Jun, 2004 - 6:10pm / Post ID: #

Is Voodoo A Common Practice In Trinidad? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Darius, I think voodoo (or obeah) as it was commonly referred too was mainly folklore, although I am sure there are a small number of individuals that may still attempt to work voodoo. However, I think this is true for most countries. In Trinidad, the old folks would always attribute 'bad' occurrences to obeah. If someone had a miscarriage, it was obeah. If you got an infection on your foot, it was obeah. If you had a toothache, it was obeah. All the things they could not explain easily (mainly because of their lack of knowledge of modern medicine) they would blame on voodoo or obeah. Now that I am an adult, I look back and laugh at all the stories I heard from the older generation because they are mostly untrue, or imagined. Voodoo, in my opinion, is no more prevalent in Trinidad or the West Indies, than it is anywhere else.

Post Date: 10th Aug, 2009 - 1:43am / Post ID: #

Name: Lila

Comments: Voodoo is a term that is used mostly in Haiti. In Trinidad it is reffered to as Obeah.
It is a common misconception that Obeah is attached to satanic rituals it is infact not. Most rituals include the use of oils and candles and prayers. Generally people associate the Baptist faith with Obeah, may because it is the most Afro -centric religion that still exists in Trinidad. However, rituals use Hindu deities and spritis associated with the Baptist faith.

As with almost everything in the world there is good and bad. Obeah = obedience. I have used a genuine practioner over the past 5 years to help me when situations overwhelm. I do believe that it there are regular ways, not involving spirits to solve problems however this is what I have used. I therefore do not recommend or even advise anyone to employ these methods ... What I do know is that they work.

If you feel that you are a subject of someone's "work" prayers can assist in breaking the control.

I believe in God and do not support the use of Obeah for harming anyone.

10th Aug, 2009 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

Lila, if you believe in God why would you need "work" prayers and the use of a practitioner?

Post Date: 31st May, 2013 - 10:46am / Post ID: #

Name: Cssa

Title: Voodoo for good

Comments: Lila, can you offer anymore information on the genuine options that you have used in the past years? I have been looking for some help.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st May, 2013 - 12:20pm / Post ID: #

Is Voodoo Common Practice Trinidad

Actually, Voodoo in Haiti is actually a religion with its own Gods and spirits. In Trinidad our version is the Orisha religion or Shango which is of Yoruba origin and the deities are different to the Haitian Vodun. If it refers to witchcraft then we call it Obeah.

Post Date: 25th Jan, 2018 - 8:57am / Post ID: #

Is Voodoo Common Practice Trinidad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Name: Jesse

Title: Voodoo is practiced in Trinidad

Comments: Of course this is practiced in Trinidad. Doesn't matter what name it's called. Same thing it's a dark and evil practices done wildly in this country. I have had random people tell me things which only pertains to voodoo, obeah, evil, same thing. Whoever said it's not around is covering up. There has to be 3 homes at least on every street practicing some form of it. Weird practices, nasty things going on.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Is Voodoo A Common Practice In Trinidad?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,