Most Eloquent

Most Eloquent - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 30th Dec, 2004 - 2:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Who do you think is/was the most eloquent US President the States has ever seen?
Post Date: 6th Jul, 2004 - 8:15pm / Post ID: #

Most Eloquent

Who do you think is the most eloquent US President the States has ever seen?

Take into consideration:

1. The way they dress
2. Delivery of speeches
3. Content of speeches
4. Ability to speak off script
5. Their interaction with the public
6. Handling difficult situations with the media
7. Overall image

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Oct, 2004 - 4:21am / Post ID: #

Most Eloquent
A Friend

Eloquent Most

For me, the most influential president, and our most eloquent, was Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Although crippled with polio, it was a combinaiton of his stamina and determination and the cooperation of the media at that time that when he died it was not well known that he was largely bound to a wheelchair at all times, or if it was, it was overlooked. It was the stereotype of that time that strong people did not reside in wheelchairs....but it was one that he overcame. He carried the entire nation through a time of great despair and gave them hope with his fireside chats. He explained how things were going and what was going on in Washington on an almost weekly basis, comforting a nation and bringing hope to those who once had little.

If one were to go by today's appearances, perhaps he might not even get elected. But he was the right president at the right time, and there is no telling where this nation would be without him. Many around the world allowed themselves to be swayed by the fears of their time and turn to dictators for all the answers. The presence of Huey Long in Louisiana proved that such an event was all too possible in the US as well. Thank God it didn't happen, even though the rabble rousing voice of Father Coughlin encouraged it. However, most of the US listened to the voice of reason, that of FDR, and it was a pivotal turning point in our history, one that could have gone far worse.

Post Date: 14th Dec, 2004 - 9:47pm / Post ID: #

Most Eloquent
A Friend

Most Eloquent History & Civil Business Politics

I would say that Ronald Reagan was one of the most eloquent, and charismatic, United States presidents. His speeches inspired people, and when he spoke into the camera, you felt like he was talking directly at you. He was able to handle the media, which wasn't very gracious to him or his accomplishments. Although he was older, it seemed as if he always dressed in a neatly, but didn't limit his apparel to suits. I think one of the most memorable linguistic and political encounters was when he told his opponent in the presidential debates "there you go again"(Quote by: Ronald Reagan)
Note: I did not post this message with the intent of offending anyone involved with or supporting the American news and media
Stefanie

30th Dec, 2004 - 2:27pm / Post ID: #

Eloquent Most

By the nature of the question, we are pretty much narrowing it down to modern presidents, since few people actually got to see the presidents give speeches prior to the invention. There are 2 that come to mind and are fairly recent: Reagan and Clinton.

You have to love a guy that gets elected and the Russians increase their readiness for war level because of his inauguration. That is highly influential! Maybe not in a good way, but influential to say the least. One of the largest landslide victories in US histories started his first term as president, as many life-long democrats voted for him instead of Carter. I can say this as it was the only time my parents actually voted for a republican and they talked about how hard of a decision it was for them. He set the standard for how to deliver bad/important news to the country. It made you actually feel as though you were in the process...that he was really reporting to you...the people that elected him. How many times have you heard it replayed: Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall! He made you feel good and unashamed to be an American.

Clinton was a extraordinarily media savvy president. No one had ever heard of the governor of Arkansas, but then the media's spotlite hit him and never lost him for 8 years (still continues to make news to this very day). Think of the last time you heard a meaningful Carter, Bush Sr. or Ford comment. Not sure if it is still true, but after his final term, Clinton had dropped more bombs than any other president in US history. Interestingly enough, he is known as a peace-maker. He always looked comfortable in front of the camera (save for a few Monica interviews) and seemed as though he was one of "us" asked to do a very difficult job and that he was doing it the best he could. He ate CHEESEBURGERS...just like you and me. I always have a picture of him running in that jogging outfit down to the local DC Mc Donalds. If you ask people in other countries (and I have), "who was the greatest US president?" and you will most likely hear his name mentioned at the top.

So unfortunately, I have to give the nod to 2 of them. I think for eloquence as a US citizen, it would be Reagan. However, if you are viewing from outside, then the answer would be Clinton.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

> TOPIC: Most Eloquent

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,