Varian Fry

Varian Fry - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 12th Aug, 2004 - 11:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 15th Jul, 2004 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Varian Fry

Varian Fry was an American journalist who helped anti-Nazi refugees escape from France, this included many of the Jews who would of lost their lives had they stayed. In the later part of his life Varian died alone, but he did leave many detailed experiences and photos that have even led to the creation of a movie about what he did.

"After Germany invaded France in June 1940, the Emergency Rescue Committee, a private American relief organization, sent Fry to France to aid anti-Nazi refugees who were in danger of being arrested by the Gestapo (German secret state police). In Marseille, Fry's network of accomplices forged documents and created clandestine escape routes. He offered aid to antifascist refugees, both Jews and non-Jews, threatened with extradition to Nazi Germany under Article 19 of the Franco-German armistice (the "Surrender on Demand" clause)."
Ref. https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsourc...graphy/fry.html

Sponsored Links:
12th Aug, 2004 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Fry Varian

I saw the movie about this story - it is truly amazing to me that such people exist on earth, but I wonder if there was merit in only looking for certain 'kinds' of people to rescue? I guess he was working out of his bounds so he had no choice.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

> TOPIC: Varian Fry

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,