Emporer Of... The United States?!?

Emporer Of United States ! - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 13th Aug, 2004 - 5:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

13th Aug, 2004 - 4:28am / Post ID: #

Emporer Of... The United States?!?

Did you know that the U.S.A. once had an Emporer?

https://www.knauer.org/mike/discordia/norton.php

It's a great story.

Joshua Abraham Norton (1819-1880)
Emperor Norton - Live Like Him
Joshua Norton, or as he preferred to be called, Norton I, proclaimed himself Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico in 1859.

Althought a pauper, he was fed free in San Francisco's best restaurants.

Although a madman, he had all his state proclamations published in San Francisco's newspapers.

While rational reformers elsewhere failed to crack the national bank monopoly with alternate currency plans, Norton I had own private currency accepted throughout San Francisco.

When the Vigilantes decide to have a pogrom against the Chinese, and sane men would have tried to stop them, Norton I did nothing but stand in the street, head bowed, praying. The Vigilantes dispersed.

"When the proper man does nothing (wu-wei), his thought is felt ten thousand miles." - Lao Tse

Although a fool, Norton I wrote letters which were seriously considered by Abraham Lincoln and Queen Victoria.

"You must take the bull by the tail and look the facts in the face." - W.C. Fields

Although a charlatan, Norton I was so beloved that 30,000 people turned out for his funeral in 1880.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
13th Aug, 2004 - 5:08am / Post ID: #

States United Of Emporer

Quite interesting and it may be possible that he was more sane and briliant than the people of his time.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

> TOPIC: Emporer Of... The United States?!?

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,