Religion & Politics

Religion Politics - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 5th Nov, 2005 - 12:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Separable or Inseparable?
Post Date: 26th Oct, 2004 - 11:43pm / Post ID: #

Religion & Politics

Do you believe Religion & Politics are Separable or Inseparable? Please give your argument.

Sponsored Links:
27th Oct, 2004 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Politics and Religion

I believe it is entirely possible for politics to stay out of religion, but it is impossible for religion to stay out of politics. No matter what the religion of a politician, that religion guides him or her in their decisions and how they work.

This is true whether the person's religion is Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, atheism, or secular humanism.

27th Oct, 2004 - 12:42pm / Post ID: #

Religion & Politics Beliefs Religious General

Religion is a person's set of beliefs, his philosophical view. This should never be separated from politics or else that person merely becomes an automaton for some other person or group (who have a "religion").

In its deepest sense I do not believe politics can be separated from religion either, but Church and State, as organizations, should always be separated in a just society.

Confusion often comes on this matter when people confuse "church and state" with "politics and religion"; and alos when religion is given only its theistic interpretation - humanism should also be seen as a religion, for example, in the eys of the law that all may be equal before the law.

Dubhdara.

Post Date: 23rd Jul, 2005 - 1:34pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Politics and Religion

DEMOCRATS TAKE RELIGION TO THE WEB

Senate Democrats are getting religion. Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has unveiled a Web site aimed at religious voters and announced plans to hold a conference on faith-based social services in Las Vegas on Aug. 24.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C.50510%2C00.html

24th Aug, 2005 - 12:42pm / Post ID: #

Politics and Religion

One key part I found interesting in this opinionated synopsis:

"Some say that the rejection of religion is a primary step in intelligent thought."

Boy have I encountered that on a number of occasions. Now mix in the element of politics and you have a time bomb in the making. No pun intended.

CURBING GOD'S LAWS

William F. Buckley - Much time and space are being given to the question of religion and science. There is continuing preoccupation with it, and the question is parsed week after week in different theaters: Is God admissible in purposive thought?
Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...curbinggodslaws

Post Date: 4th Nov, 2005 - 3:44am / Post ID: #

Religion & Politics
A Friend

Religion & Politics

I don't think religion can be separated from politics. A person's religion is what defines them, IF they stick true to their religion. Every religion has its set of morals and values, and its those morals and values that determined where we stand politically.

Politics, I think, can be set aside from religion, but not completely. Even politicians have their beliefs, and they bring those beliefs into the platform they stand on. Even though they may try to be subjective, there's always that underlaying motive, whether it's consciously done or not.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Nov, 2005 - 11:46am / Post ID: #

Religion & Politics

The problem I see is that if you believe something is true or God's will or command for everyone, you likely will feel obligated to help ensure it's coming forth. So, you believe the laws should reflect this. Abortion is a good example. If you believe that abortion is against the will of God, you feel it should be outlawed.

However, if you don't happen to share that particular religious belief, you don't believe it should be law. This is a big part of what I think is happening in Iraq and other Muslim majority countries. Those who are Muslim believe from a religious view that certain laws should be enacted and certain punishments exacted for violations of that law. This belief comes from their religious scriptures, etc. Those scriptures don't say these laws are only binding on those who believe them. Neither does any other religious scripture. However, if you don't believe them as your religious faith, they certainly do seem harsh.

So, I don't know how you can separate the two. Yet, I recognize that it isn't right for me as a Christian to say my religious beliefs should be law, but I shouldn't be subjected to laws as a result of someone elses religious beliefs.

I also know I, personally, don't want to live in a society that doesn't do what God wants. Of course, the problem is that we don't all agree on what it is God wants.

5th Nov, 2005 - 12:54pm / Post ID: #

Religion & Politics General Religious Beliefs

I don't believe religion should be a part of politics but it is very hard to separate the two.

However, not all politicians are religious. It certainly isn't a requirement that politicians should believe in a religion, so I guess it is theoretically possible for the two to be separate but highly unlikely.

The problem with religion entering politics is when the beliefs of one religion shape policy that could marginalsie those who believe in another. I'm sure there are parts of the Christian faith that might offend Muslims, or Buddhists etc and vice versa. Now unless everyone believes in the same religion there is going to be a problem and I think the abortion debate highlights this quite well. Why should someone who isn't religious and wants to terminate their pregnancy be prevented from doing so by somebody else's belief?

Religion can be used as an extremely powerful political tool to influence or manipulate a large number of people. This happens all over the world and I am opposed to it in principle.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Religion & Politics

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,