Teaching Against Darwin

Teaching Darwin - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 13th Jan, 2005 - 5:39am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Atheist - Atheism
Teaching Against Darwin Related Information to Teaching Against Darwin
7th Jan, 2005 - 1:18am / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin

Teaching Against Darwin

international QUOTE
PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (Reuters) -- A Pennsylvania school district Wednesday rejected charges that plans to include references to an alternative to Darwin's theory of evolution in high school biology classes would be illegal.

The Dover Area School District near Harrisburg is the first in the United States to introduce "Intelligent Design," a theory that the natural world is so complex it must have been made by an intelligent being, rather than occurring by chance, as held by Charles Darwin's theory of evolution.

The district was sued by the American Civil Liberties Union and Americans United for Separation of Church and State on December 14 over plans to teach the theory starting next week. The lawsuit is the first to challenge the teaching of Intelligent Design, which the groups say violates the Constitutional separation of church and state...
Source

What do you think? Should both alternatives be tought?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Jan, 2005 - 7:33am / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Darwin Teaching

They teach religions in some schools...why this is so different. I am for teaching both theories if it is possible, because so far they are just that : theories, as long as the teacher can emphasize that, I find no problem with that.

Post Date: 7th Jan, 2005 - 8:25am / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Teaching Against Darwin UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

For my answer to which concept should be taught, see my post in "Could there be some truth in it?" (thread started by smudge) I discussed what I thought about the earth being created there. I do believe that God created the Earth and that He had Jesus help Him. smile.gif

7th Jan, 2005 - 11:15am / Post ID: #

Darwin Teaching

Not only do I think both theories should be taught. I think they should both be really taught as theories. The problem is that Darwin's theory is not taught as theory. Not really. It may be referred to as a theory, but everyone "knows" it is true. That is how it is actually taught.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 7th Jan, 2005 - 11:19am

8th Jan, 2005 - 7:39pm / Post ID: #

Darwin Teaching

They teach religions in some schools...why this is so different.

They teach religion in religious schools. The problem with this case is that it's a public school and the US government is based on the separation of state and church.

I think they should both be really taught as theories. The problem is that Darwin's theory is not taught as theory. Not really. It may be referred to as a theory, but everyone "knows" it is true. That is how it is actually taught.

That is true, but in church - do they refer to the creation of Earth as a theory, or as a fact?

Reconcile Edited: Smudge on 8th Jan, 2005 - 7:41pm

8th Jan, 2005 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin

That is true, but in church - do they refer to the creation of Earth as a theory, or as a fact?

It depends what Church you are talking about but in ANY Church will mostly tell you that God is the creator of the universe. There is no theory about it.

I do not have problem with that IF as Tena pointed out is taught as a 'theory'.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 12th Jan, 2005 - 3:14am / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Teaching Darwin

Teaching in church isn't the same as teaching in a public school. In church, creationism is taught as factual because that is the belief system. Trying to teach creationsm in the school as fact is no different than trying to teach evolutionistic theories as fact. It just depends on which side of the spectrum a person is on.

I had a lot of issues with my ninth grade science teacher because he taught evolutionary beliefs as fact. I "editted" our test when he handed it to me and changed everything that hinted at Darwinism as fact to make it say theory in some form or fashion. He didn't seem too pleased about it, but I got an 'A' on the test.

I don't have a problem with evolution or the other theory being taught as long as it's taught as a theory. The issue is, that it rarely is taught as a theory. If they are going to teach one spectra of how the universe began, they need to teach all the major beliefs. There aren't that many.

I've stated it somewhere else, but I'll say it again. To me, learning about the different types of beliefs helps me to talk to other people who share those beliefs. Not only am I learning about them and it gives me the knowledge to be able to look to my Bible and find a Biblical reference that may contradict. Not only that, but if it's coming from somebody who shares those beliefs, than I'm getting any even further picture of how somebody who shares those beliefs truly thinks.

13th Jan, 2005 - 5:39am / Post ID: #

Teaching Darwin Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

I think the major difference is that Darwinism is a theory and creationism is a belief. One is based on evidence and guesses, and the other on religion. Now, it seems obvious to me that religion should not be taught at school. It should not be something you know. It should be something you believe in (or not).

If there was a scientist finding evidence that pointed toward creationism, or a scientific theory formed about it, most probably it would be taught. But there isn't. And you know how man is. Leaps on any ready answer. Until an Einstein comes in and proves it all wrong. undecided.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Teaching Against Darwin

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,