Can Satan Tempt Spirits Who Have Departed?

Can Satan Tempt Spirits Departed - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Jan, 2005 - 4:36am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 25th Jan, 2005 - 11:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Just wondering if we are still subject to Satan's temptations after we die? Or is his power limited to tempting us during mortality only? I guess you could say he had power to tempt us in the pre mortal world as many were deceived. I do know there will be false teachings being spread in the spirit world so I guess my answer would be that Satan's power to tempt and deceive goes beyond this world. Has anybody heard anything different?

Sponsored Links:
26th Jan, 2005 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

Departed Who Spirits Tempt Satan Can

I guess you could say he had power to tempt us in the pre mortal world as many were deceived

Hmmm I do not think we can call this a temptation but free agency undecided.gif
I do not think Satan has the power to tempt us after we depart from this world.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2005 - 6:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Can Satan Tempt Spirits Who Have Departed? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Sorry to always be the researcher, but I found this:

President Joseph Fielding Smith taught:

"Permit me to quote to you a few passages from the Doctrine and Covenants and the Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith:

And he who breaketh it shall lose his office and standing in the Church, and shall be delivered over to the buffetings of Satan until the day of redemption.( D&C 78:12)

And the soul that sins against this covenant, and hardeneth his heart against it, shall be dealt with according to the laws of my church, and shall be delivered over to the buffetings of Satan until the day of redemption.( Ibid., 82:21)

Inasmuch as ye are cut off for transgression, ye cannot escape the buffetings of Satan until the day of redemption. (104:9)

. . . but they shall be destroyed in the flesh, and shall be delivered unto the buffetings of Satan unto the day of redemption, saith the Lord God.(132:26)

The spirit of Elijah was manifest in the days of the apostles, in delivering certain ones to the buffetings of Satan, that they might be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. They were sealed by the spirit of Elijah unto the damnation of hell until the day of the Lord, or revelation of Jesus Christ.(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 228)

The Wicked are Subject to Satan

Perhaps the power of Satan to persuade them may be limited in that spirit world, but it is a reasonable thought to think that they have their agency, and that he will endeavor to entice them to follow him, for he must exert great power over them when they are subject to his jurisdiction." (Answers to Gospel Questions, Vol. 3, p.194)  Website:  https://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/qa/39.htm

So, I do believe a spirit can be tempted by Satan because, like it says above, a spirit still has free agency. The fact that we do all of the work that we do in the temple because we believe that a spirit will be able to choose whether to accept an ordinance or not is evidence of this agency. In my opinion, a person can be tempted through their mind, not just through the physical. Along with this information you can read The Spirit World by by Walter D. Bowen which the above reference is part of at: https://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/basic/a...t_world_eom.htm

27th Jan, 2005 - 5:28pm / Post ID: #

"Ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ," Nephi said to members of the Church, "having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." (2 Ne. 31:20.) That is to say-all the faithful Saints, all of those who have endured to the end, depart this life with the absolute guarantee of eternal life.

There is no equivocation, no doubt, no uncertainty in our minds. Those who have been true and faithful in this life will not fall by the wayside in the life to come. If they keep their covenants here and now and depart this life firm and true in the testimony of our blessed Lord, they shall come forth with an inheritance of eternal life

Bruce R. McConkie, "The Dead Who Die in the Lord," Ensign, Nov. 1976

and from the same article:

But what we are saying is that when the saints of God chart a course of righteousness, when they gain sure testimonies of the truth and divinity of the Lord's work, when they keep the commandments, when they overcome the world, when they put first in their lives the things of God's kingdom: when they do all these things, and then depart this life-though they have not yet become perfect-they shall nonetheless gain eternal life in our Father's kingdom; and eventually they shall be perfect as God their Father and Christ His Son are perfect.

There is so much more in this article worth reading, but what this makes me think is that if there is temptation after we die, it is not like here on this earth. We know that it is harder to repent after we die, I think maybe what happens is our beliefs become that much deeper in which ever direction they lie. So, if I have developed a strong testimony here in mortality, it can't be shaken in the Spirit world. I also know that a past prophet said that the vast majority of people for whom Temple ordinances are performed accept them, so it would seem Satan has little if any influence in the Spirit world. Just my thoughts...

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2005 - 4:36am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Consider this....

Temptation is a function of the flesh. We are tempted because of the desires of the flesh. In the pre-existence, many were deceived because of their lack of understanding, but they were not tempted. By the same token, since forgivable sin is tied to our weakness in withstanding the desires of the flesh, it is more difficult to overcome those desires when we do not have a body because the situation doesn't come up to be actually resisted and overcome. Now, that doesn't mean we cannot continue to err in the spirit world because it has become a habit or a belief during our lifetime. I imagine this to be much like the scene in the movie Ghost where Patrick Swayze is trying to get another ghost to teach him how to affect objects. At the end, the other man desperately wants a smoke because he is habituated to it, but because of lacking a body, he is unable to satisfy that desire. We are also told that those who are pure of heart are not under the influence of temptation (which is why Satan will be bound during the Millennium).

> TOPIC: Can Satan Tempt Spirits Who Have Departed?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,