The Desktop

The Desktop - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 13th Apr, 2017 - 8:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
And its future...
3rd Mar, 2005 - 10:11pm / Post ID: #

The Desktop

When you look at some of the mobile phones of today you cannot help but wonder if you are not looking at the future computer workstation. Consider the typical desktop computer still sold today… do you think we can still see years of its use or will everything become portable after awhile? For me I really do not see the tower having more than six years again. I think more and more people will go for the laptop or something similar as the world will become linked to a mainstream of links and hookups that will make a stationary piece of hardware seem primitive.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th Mar, 2005 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

The Desktop
A Friend

Desktop The

I think that desktops will still be around for a while, just not as widely used as before. Once laptops drop in price to the 500 dollar range, they will be used mostly instead of desktops. But desktops will stay around simply for their ease of upgrade. Gamers are always looking for the next best thing, and its easier to add ram and a new graphics card to a desktop. Its also easier to up grad your monitor to a bigger screen. All of these things are harder, or impossible to do on a laptop. And at 1000 dollars a pop, people aren't apt to buy a new one every two years to be able to play the hottest games. The idea of going mobile is nice, but until the issue of upgrading your machine can be addressed, desktops will be around.

Another big issue with laptops is storage space. I cant add another hard drive to my lap top. I have three in my desktop, one for storage, one for my OS, and one for page file. It allows my machine to run much faster and smoother. My laptop only has one hard drive and I cant add another one. I could have an external for storage, but I really wouldn't want to lug that around.

5th Mar, 2005 - 5:07am / Post ID: #

The Desktop Gaming Video & Issues Computer

I can't see mobile phones replacing desktops any time soon -- they are just too small to be practical for day-to-day business. Desktops are the work horse for businesses. As far as personal use, I feel the same way. This forum is an example; there is no way I could post this type of message from a mobile phone in any kind of speedy way, unless it had speech recognition. I think desktops will be around for a long time, but they will get smaller with each technological leap.

5th Mar, 2005 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

Desktop The

I do not think a portable phone will replace the tower, but the laptop configuration might. As Konquererz mentioned it is the price and upgrades that prevent the smaller size, but look at the example of flash memory. Soon I am sure there will no longer be the spinning disk drive that we use now (it is primitive when you think of it because it works almost like a record player), but we will have digital recordings as does flash. The interesting thing about flash memory is it just plugs in and you go - you can stand on it and it won't get damaged, etc. Now I feel the issue here might be the same as oil and gas - we really do not need oil and gas as solar power can power most things, but that does not make the rich richer. Same with a tower, if everything is too versatile and does not need an upgrade then there is no money to be made so they keep selling stuff to ensure you will have to come back for thus making what you receive today really yester year's technology.

Post Date: 5th Mar, 2005 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

The Desktop
A Friend

Desktop The

Good point, BlueTooth is supposed to be releasing a 5 gig flash plug next year. I suppose that would be a start of storage problems and storage upgrades with laptops. I really hadn't considered flash memory. I the upgrade problems can be eliminated, there is nothing to stop the eventual demise of desktops, it may take a while, but I am starting to see how it could happen.

5th Apr, 2006 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

The Desktop

On a personal PC level:

The market for the home computer is at a stage in my experience where as laptops do drop in price they are commonly replacing the desktop. I have found that the general public is really excited about the idea of being able to carry the computer to the porch or in front of the TV.

QUOTE (konquorez)
Once laptops drop in price to the 500 dollar range

This day is here. The lower spec Dell laptops can be purchased for 499$ US all year long now. They are still nothing fancy, yet for a personal computer they still get the job done.

On a business PC level:

The desktop PC in the business market is slowly being migrated to laptops so that productivity can be achieved when traveling or away from the desk. *That is how I am online posting this currently.* Yet there are still some application and scenarios that I do not see a laptop prevailing for years to come. CAD operators for instance would shoot me if I were to tell them that they had to stare at the poor quality of a laptop screen to do their work. For office use the quality is quite nice and even better now with the WXGA screens however when the pixel resolution for CAD and or graphic art is broken down you will still not get near the resolution that you could achieve from a true flat CRT. Theft also becomes more of a concern for business owners as laptops are much easier for an upset employee to either break or forget to return when they are fired.

**Laptops are the coming age and will without a doubt replace the desktop computer in the years to come. I do believe however that we can look forward to many more years before this migration to portability is complete. I estimate 2014 will be about the last desktop PC's to be seen.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Apr, 2017 - 8:36pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

The Desktop

For first time in a decade, PC sales slip below 63 million

Another quarter, another drop in PC shipments. But HP, Dell and Apple gain. Ref. Source 6v.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2017 - 8:52pm / Post ID: #

The Desktop
A Friend

The Desktop Computer Issues & Video Gaming

We are getting closer and closer to the point where the mobile phone is the only system for a majority of people, but I don't think it's be here for five to ten years and there'll always be a place for laptops and may a few small environments for desktops/towers.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: The Desktop

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,