144,000 High Priests

144 000 High Priests - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Mar, 2005 - 2:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

5th Mar, 2005 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

144,000 High Priests

4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

5 Of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand.

6 Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nepthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand.

7 Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand.

8 Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand.

This topic is designed to discuss this passage in terms of LDS teachings.

Howe6079 wrote an offtopic in another thread:
I believe the 144,000 does not represent a literal number of saved people, but rather is a representation of perfection among chosen people. It is a perfect square of 12,000 - twelve obviously representing the tribes of Israel, the chosen people of the Lord.

I am NOT going to be a smart aleck and comment on the math. wink.gif

The number twelve indicates "governmental perfection" (look here for more). Twelve tribes, twelve Apostles, etc.

Thinking back to my New Testament class at BYU, I think that 1000 is raising any other number to a higher order of perfection. So, 12,000 High Priests from each of the 12 tribes, indicates a higher order of perfection of government within each tribe.

Within that framework, remember D&C 77:11
11 Q. What are we to understand by sealing the one hundred and forty-four thousand, out of all the tribes of Israel-twelve thousand out of every tribe?

A. We are to understand that those who are sealed are high priests, ordained unto the holy order of God, to administer the everlasting gospel; for they are they who are ordained out of every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, by the angels to whom is given power over the nations of the earth, to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn.

To me, this indicates it is likely a literal number.

Sponsored Links:
12th Mar, 2005 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

Priests High

I was just thinking if the statistics are available to see how many ordained High Priests there are in the world and also, wether the scripture refers to the total in the World at the time of the Coming of the Son or total worthy High Priests period. If it is purely symbolic then it does not matter either way.

12th Mar, 2005 - 2:52pm / Post ID: #

144,000 High Priests Studies Doctrine Mormon

I don't believe that this number has anything at all to do with the number of high priests in the world today, since almost all of them are from Ephraim. The scriptures are very clear that whether the number is symbolic or not, they are evenly divided among the 12 tribes.

> TOPIC: 144,000 High Priests

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,